Photo

The Churchill | Victoria | Bedford Regency Hotel | Government Street at Bastion Square

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#61 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 04:31 PM

Let's give some credit to OSJ, he is running an operation almost 3x the size it was before.

Three Cheers OSJ, what I like best about your place is your staff, it's a great place to go and feel welcome.

• thundergun likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#62 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 22 July 2014 - 05:24 PM

For sure. Good work man, you're running two awesome bars :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#63 tbracken

tbracken
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 09:33 AM

Let's give some credit to OSJ, he is running an operation almost 3x the size it was before.

Three Cheers OSJ, what I like best about your place is your staff, it's a great place to go and feel welcome.

Agree 100% OSJ has done nothing but good with both the GH and the Churchill. 

One note re: staff at the Churchill.  I was in a couple of nights ago and the girl behind the bar admitted that she didn't know much about beer (couldn't make any recommendations) and didn't actually like most beer with one or two exceptions.  Odd choice of staff for a great beer bar...IMO. But super friendly so not a complaint as much as a comment.

#64 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:17 AM

Agree 100% OSJ has done nothing but good with both the GH and the Churchill. 

One note re: staff at the Churchill.  I was in a couple of nights ago and the girl behind the bar admitted that she didn't know much about beer (couldn't make any recommendations) and didn't actually like most beer with one or two exceptions.  Odd choice of staff for a great beer bar...IMO. But super friendly so not a complaint as much as a comment.

Thanks for the info, do ya know what her name was or what night it was? i will make sure she does her homework.

keep in mind I also cater to the whisky and wine crowd as well, not just beer.

trying to expand my knowledge beyond beer. LOL

And thanks for the nice words guys, it has been a bumpy road to get here but its working out.  The next project will be even more fun.

Paving the way for beer bars on the island!

#65 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:22 AM

The next project will be even more fun.

Sounds like you're making some money. Where can I buy shares? :)

#66 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:36 AM

Next project? Do tell?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#67 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:42 AM

Next project? Do tell?

Turning what used to be the Ledge restaurant/pub (2nd floor of the hotel) into some other great establishment would be my guess! Just not sure what the theme would be. I think a good sports bar could be a welcome addition now that Podium has closed.

If you need a brainstorming session, I'm sure some VVers will participate for food and beer...  :muching_out:

#68 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 10:46 AM

Holy smokes, I forgot about that place.

Know it all.

#69 scoughman

scoughman
  • 20 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 02:27 PM

You can drink whatever beer you prefer but don't expect every place to have what you want - that's the beauty of choice and variety. I don't go to chain restaurants and expect craft beer, just as I don't expect to find buffalo wings at Camille's.

I wish, I bet their buffalo wings would be insane...

I wrote a First Look for The Churchill and took some shots last week, article should be up on EAT's website in the next little while. I'll share the link as soon as I see it. Love the spot, OSJ. Red Stripe on tap or in bottles?

#70 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:18 PM

It's actually not that different.  As recently as 1.5 years ago I've seen the local stats, had access to them through work I did.    It's still 90% big brands overall.   92% of retail stores, 45% in pubs/restaurants and 95% in nightclubs.

From last year:
http://blogs.theprov...ning-continues/

States craft brewery is around 20% market share and has double digit growth year on year.

Ok sounds good.

I didn't know Pilsner Urquell was in the house otherwise I'd have had that.

Pilsner Urquell is pretty great in my opinion.

#71 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,512 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:20 PM

Shhh! You're going to get a craft beer hit squad after you.

Craft brews will likely settle on the classic 20/80 ratio. There's already so much competition among craft breweries that bars are literally running out of opportunities to offer new entrants or they have revolving selections which means one has to be ditched to pick up another.

Know it all.

#72 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 04:34 PM

No I love craft beer. I think 20% market share with the growth level it has is pretty impressive.

#73 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,429 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 07:21 PM

As Amor said, no shame in being a "macro" if you produce a classic by which others are measured.

#74 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 23 July 2014 - 08:18 PM

[Pilsner Urquell is] actually a Mark Anthony brand.

Ah. I guess Molson is only the US distributor.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#75 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:09 AM

Sorry guys, I feel sports bars are a thing of the past.  With everyone hanging multiple big TVs and PVR's in their homes it is kind of pointless.

I have many future projects rattling around in my head. any investors out there??

#76 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:11 AM

I wish, I bet their buffalo wings would be insane...

I wrote a First Look for The Churchill and took some shots last week, article should be up on EAT's website in the next little while. I'll share the link as soon as I see it. Love the spot, OSJ. Red Stripe on tap or in bottles?

Thanks for the visit, it was good to meet ya.

Red stripe in the stubby bottles only.

#77 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:12 AM

Turning what used to be the Ledge restaurant/pub (2nd floor of the hotel) into some other great establishment would be my guess! Just not sure what the theme would be. I think a good sports bar could be a welcome addition now that Podium has closed.

If you need a brainstorming session, I'm sure some VVers will participate for food and beer...  :muching_out:

unfortunately the ledge space has been a hard sell for many years. without street frontage it will never fly. It may be turned into a staff lounge for my staff and the hotel staff.

#78 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:24 AM

Sorry guys, I feel sports bars are a thing of the past.  With everyone hanging multiple big TVs and PVR's in their homes it is kind of pointless.

I have many future projects rattling around in my head. any investors out there??

You don't waste any time do you? Just opened a new place and ready for the next venture!

#79 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:25 AM

Out of curiosity, how does one find investors for ventures like yours? Do you approach people you know, is there someplace to put a call out for investors? Do they come to you?

#80 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:29 AM

Out of curiosity, how does one find investors for ventures like yours? Do you approach people you know, is there someplace to put a call out for investors? Do they come to you?

For Garrick's head and The Churchill they have been owned and funded by the hotel. I am nothing more then the GM/Director of operations.  They are both my visions, but i don't reap many benefits.  My next i would like to find investors and take that leap of faith.

• Mr Cook Street likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users