Photo

The Churchill | Victoria | Bedford Regency Hotel | Government Street at Bastion Square

• Please log in to reply
131 replies to this topic

#81 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:30 AM

unfortunately the ledge space has been a hard sell for many years. without street frontage it will never fly. It may be turned into a staff lounge for my staff and the hotel staff.

I'm not sure if you are at all zoned for this at all, but you know what the city could use?  A space with daily, weekly and monthly desk rental, a business centre.  Nothing (expensive) fancy like Regus.  Just a place with wireless, a photocopier/printer, and washrooms, and private or semi-private cubicles/desks.  And reasonable hours of access, like M-F 6am to 5pm, less on weekends.   

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#82 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 24 July 2014 - 11:38 AM

I'm not sure if you are at all zoned for this at all, but you know what the city could use?  A space with daily, weekly and monthly desk rental, a business centre.  Nothing (expensive) fancy like Regus.  Just a place with wireless, a photocopier/printer, and washrooms, and private or semi-private cubicles/desks.  And reasonable hours of access, like M-F 6am to 5pm, less on weekends.   

unfortunately, after the last couple years with the pub and Churchill i have been stealing space from the hotel for stuff like keg storage, liquor rooms, storage space, etc..

we really need the space for ourselves, especially with my growing staff.

Paving the way for beer bars on the island!

#83 tbracken

tbracken
  • 14 posts

Posted 25 July 2014 - 10:33 AM

For Garrick's head and The Churchill they have been owned and funded by the hotel. I am nothing more then the GM/Director of operations.  They are both my visions, but i don't reap many benefits.  My next i would like to find investors and take that leap of faith.

That sounds interesting for sure.  Depending on timing and finances could be some interest here.

FYI I was in this past Tuesday and have no idea what the girls name was.  It was around 6PM if that helps.  Certainly don't want to throw her under the bus as she did tell me right up front that she dind't know much about beer but a working knowledge would be good for your business.

#84 sasamat

sasamat
  • 101 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:25 AM

I went to the Churchill last night and had a great time. I like a place where all of the seats at the bar are full before the tables. The big list display of beers works well; it's very clear and people shouldn't have a problem reading it (only problems choosing just one at a time!). Decent scotch selection. The male bartender working at the time seemed quite knowledgeable and was friendly. After beers we were in the mood for a cocktail and he recommended the UK sour, which was a great choice.

My only complaint is the washroom situation. The other bartender directed me to the unisex stall in the lobby. It was absolutely filthy and out of toilet paper.

#85 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:30 AM

The other bartender directed me to the unisex stall in the lobby. It was absolutely filthy and out of toilet paper.

The Lobby is an odd place for a toilet.

Were people watching you whilst you were using it?

#86 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 08:31 AM

My only complaint is the washroom situation. The other bartender directed me to the unisex stall in the lobby. It was absolutely filthy and out of toilet paper.

Bathrooms are not the Garrick's strong point.  With two bars going at a pretty good clip, do they not have any bar backs keeping up with stock and the bathrooms?  Too many places just clean the bathrooms in the morning before open hours, then there is nobody responsible for them during open hours, unless there is a serious issue.

Recently at Veneto the bathroom was pretty messy (just paper towels and stuff) and obviously had not been seen to by any staff for a few hours.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#87 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 04 August 2014 - 09:59 AM

Bathrooms are not the Garrick's strong point...

I'll second that. But as OSJ said long ago, they have very good crowds nonetheless and bathroom renovations don't make him any money, so I doubt things will change much.

Maybe it's all a version of the clever ploy of leaving a flaw for the sake of making everything else look so much the better. I've had good success with doing that myself :-)

#88 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:39 PM

Thanks for coming by,

My bathrooms will get a small Reno, its just hard to find time to shut them down for a week at least and stay open. the dilemmas of a busy bar. LOL

on a side note, my new draught board is up and looks great. All the chalk work was done by the girls here at the bar. my guys built it in house as well.

#89 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:40 PM

draught board

Attached Images

• 10563062_707258832678247_8804077564824050058_n.jpg

• thundergun likes this

#90 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 August 2014 - 12:42 PM

Oh, that looks cool OSJ.   I'll come have a look.  Ya I guess a bathroom reno is a tricky thing.  I remember them renovating Darcy's a few years ago and it was going right on while it was open, all kinds of tools all over the place, good times.

#91 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:04 PM

Nice, looks great.

#92 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:00 AM

Just switched up our food menu again, we plan to try and switch it around every 6 weeks or so to keep things new and fresh.

Attached Images

• aug menu.JPG

#93 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:05 AM

may as well add the other lists. here ya go. the wine list changes as well.

Attached Images

• cocktails.JPG
  • whisky menu.JPG
  • wine menu.JPG

#94 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:16 AM

I love that you spell pierogies properly :D

Btw Brad is an excellent fit for Churchill. You couldn't have picked a better guy to run the bar.

In fact what I really like about your bars is that the staff (well the bartenders at least) have been around for ages and they're all great at what they do.
  • OSJ likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#95 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:28 AM

I guess that's "proper" if you're Polish...

There are lots of pyrohy, perogy, perogie, perogi, pyrogy and even varenyky making people in this country, and not all of them spell it pierogie!

• Nparker likes this

#96 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:58 AM

Pierogi is the Polish word for that food, so if you're referring to "pierogies" you're referring specifically to a Polish dish. Any other spelling (despite being commonly used albeit "misspelled") is not correct.

If we were referring to the Ukrainian variant we'd call them varenyky. If we were referring to the Russian variant we'd call them pelmeni.

This concludes the lesson for today. :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#97 OSJ

OSJ
  • 311 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 08:59 AM

Btw Brad is an excellent fit for Churchill. You couldn't have picked a better guy to run the bar.

In fact what I really like about your bars is that the staff (well the bartenders at least) have been around for ages and they're all great at what they do.

Thanks . Brad is learning lots of new things, he's really diving in and enjoying it.

#98 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:00 AM

Pierogi is the Polish word for that food, so if you're referring to "pierogies" you're referring specifically to a Polish dish. Any other spelling (despite being commonly used albeit "misspelled") is not correct.

If we were referring to the Ukrainian variant we'd call them varenyky. If we were referring to the Russian variant we'd call them pelmeni.

This concludes the lesson for today. :)

Shouldn't we we call Poland "Polska" or something then?  Don't you spell Canada "Kanada"?

#99 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:09 AM

So if you order a Pierogi you're just going to get some random food? Sort of like a mystery meal?

No Ukrainian person I know calls them varenyky when speaking English, BTW.

You do know it's possible to have a perogy that isn't Polish food, right?

#100 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 09:11 AM

Yeah, it's Polska, and "c" in Polish is a "ts" sound, so unless you want people to pronounce Canada Tsanada the "K" works.

I've noticed that store bought brands of pierogies are slowly changing their spelling. In the 90's when they first started appearing I suppose the misspelling stuck.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users