Photo

Lime Prices

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 07:20 AM

Price of Limes have been crazy.  Average now is $1.50 each.  And seen them at $2.

Bad weather in Mexico and the Drug Cartel have been blamed.

Seriouly hampering my Margarita hobby.

#2 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 08:42 AM

They are a cooking staple for me too. Seriously people are so focused on Syria and Ukraine but people are dying and little success has been seen in dealing with the cartels.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 11:04 AM

But at the same time so many Mexicans love the cartels and much that they stand for.

It's all such a mess.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 goke

goke
  • 123 posts

Posted 21 April 2014 - 01:04 PM

I usually buy bags of Key Limes for $2-$3. They disappeared about 6 weeks ago from Superstore/Walmart where I usually bought them. I go through a litre of sodawater (sodastream) a day and I need my limes!

#5 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 01:06 AM

Cost of food ****ing sucks right now and it's only going to get worse. Bacon is up to ~$50/5 kg or about 25 cents a slice.

Coupled with an increase in hydro rates I think we can expect to see higher menu prices sooner rather than later. 👎

Matt.

#6 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 08:25 AM

Thrifty had limes for $1.79 each which works out to over 22 cents per wedge if you get eight wedges out of each lime. If you order a large coke with a lime wedge, the lime costs more than the soda.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#7 goke

goke
  • 123 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 12:46 PM

I make my own bacon and pork belly was $13 a kilo when I bought it last week. Never seen it so high. It doesn't go on ad very often either.

Cost of food ****ing sucks right now and it's only going to get worse. Bacon is up to ~$50/5 kg or about 25 cents a slice.

Coupled with an increase in hydro rates I think we can expect to see higher menu prices sooner rather than later.

Matt.

• Matt R. likes this

#8 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 7,880 posts

Posted 22 April 2014 - 11:56 PM

Back bacon is now less expensive per kilo than side bacon. Never seen that before.

Matt.

#9 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:28 PM

Limes down to 99 cents last time I checked. Should we be boycotting limes since apparently the profits go directly to narcotraffickers?

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#10 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 26 May 2014 - 07:38 PM

Back bacon is now less expensive per kilo than side bacon. Never seen that before.

Matt.

Here is the answer to the bacon crisis.

Recipe: How To Make Venison Bacon

http://www.fieldands...e-venison-bacon

#11 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 10:49 AM

At first glance, these limes look like a normal shipment of the green fruit. But they don't contain the citrus juice you would squeeze into your margarita on a hot summer day.

Instead the phony limes were packed full of marijuana. US Customs and Border Protection officers in Pharr, Texas, seized a total of 3,947 pounds of weed in the commercial shipment of key limes on January 30, officials said.

http://www.cnn.com/2...linkId=34265514

170207212522-01-marijuana-camouflaged-wi

As a professional artist, I can say that they should have used a shade of green from the yellow side of the colour spectrum rather than the blue side. #artmatters.

Edited by Rob Randall, 08 February 2017 - 10:51 AM.

• sebberry and Jill like this

#12 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 11:01 AM

...the phony limes were packed full of marijuana. US Customs and Border Protection officers in Pharr, Texas, seized a total of 3,947 pounds of weed...

Damn. This could affect the bottom line of some Victoria "businesses".

#13 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 08 February 2017 - 11:33 AM

One time at Port of Montreal a crate of oranges was dropped, hundreds of oranges fell and cracked open. Lo and behold! Solid brown centres, each orange about 1/2 lb of hash.
  • Mike K. and Matt R. like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users