Photo

What to do with 3 parking lots on the harbour

• Please log in to reply
351 replies to this topic

#341 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,407 posts

Posted 28 October 2022 - 08:28 AM

...I can't tell if its a fiscally responsible or SJW argument for not replacing it...

The latter. Otherwise why not just say "we can't afford to rebuild the wharf"?

#342 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 28 October 2022 - 11:09 AM

“To reiterate — the dock is over 100 years old, and will be torn down around 2028 due to the fact that we already know it cannot be maintained much beyond that,” she said.

“My point was that we do experience weather events that cause very expensive destruction of our infrastructure,” she said.

To reiterate, it's a simple wooden structure of a time-tested form that has successfully endured its harsh marine environment for as long as Sidney has existed, but to reiterate further, it's also the kind of structure that would be technologically, logistically, and fiscally impossible in the year 2022 and forever going forward. Did I mention the current population of Sidney/North Saanich is umpteen times what it was a hundred years ago?

I believe it was Yoda who said, "always with you it cannot be done."

• Nparker, LJ, phx and 1 other like this

#343 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 28 October 2022 - 11:10 AM

Do some people really not see how current political narratives are all about taking things away or threatening to take things away?

• Nparker, phx and max.bravo like this

#344 max.bravo

max.bravo
  • 1,829 posts

Posted 28 October 2022 - 11:38 AM

Do some people really not see how current political narratives are all about taking things away or threatening to take things away?

I often wonder how many of the folks strolling the breakwater at Ogden Point are the same enviro-weenies who would, if the breakwater were proposed today, glue themselves to a piece of driftwood to prevent construction of it.

Edited by max.bravo, 28 October 2022 - 11:58 AM.

#345 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,407 posts

Posted 28 October 2022 - 11:49 AM

I understand that "Enviroweenies" are planning a few performances at next year's Tinto Rocks festival.
  • max.bravo likes this

#346 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 28 October 2022 - 06:31 PM

Sidney needs to build something that still adds what she called vibrancy to the community, “without being the kind of thing that we spend millions of dollars (on)...

It's really unfortunate that Sidney/North Saanich hasn't enjoyed much of a development boom in recent years. You know, because a development boom would be a strong indicator of prosperity, and taxpayers would thus have reason to be highly suspicious of any claims re: belt-tightening scarcities.

#347 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 29 October 2022 - 09:33 AM

Maybe we can turn the new firehall into a lookout tower, or something.

Just to mess with the planes a little.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#348 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 29 October 2022 - 10:19 AM

Nice try, but planes need that tower in case there's ever a fire during flight.

• max.bravo likes this

#349 mbjj

mbjj
  • 2,342 posts

Posted 29 October 2022 - 02:59 PM

That's how I feel about Victoria. No more Clover Pt, no more Arbutus Dr. in the park, even the parking close to the breakwater is now difficult to get into and the parking on the house side has been removed. Things ran so well for decades until this current crop of whatnots came along, esp. the ones who haven't lived here that long.

Because of climate change, no new wharf? Rubbish.  

Edited by mbjj, 29 October 2022 - 02:59 PM.

• Nparker likes this

#350 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 29 October 2022 - 03:16 PM

Nice try, but planes need that tower in case there's ever a fire during flight.

How do you know plane fires isn’t the cheap entertainment Sidney council is talking about?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#351 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 29 October 2022 - 03:54 PM

Methinks fire sails would be cheaper than plane fires.

#352 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 29 October 2022 - 04:51 PM

As opposed to fire sales? I guess the former is a better image for Sidney. Still not very vibrant, however.

Know it all.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users