What to do with 3 parking lots on the harbour

• Please log in to reply
351 replies to this topic

#41 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:22 AM

At the end of the day though we live in a region of under 400,000 people, about 200,000 of whom live at least 20 minutes by car from downtown Victoria. You need serious volumes of people to make these types of venues popular and utilized to their full potential, otherwise they remain underutilized spaces that bleed money. The ball court in Central Park is a good example, it's a great court but it's very underutilized despite there being no other nearby courts.

We actually have a very green and very accessible harbourfront, but the public spaces (public lawns in Songhees and immediately across the harbour in James Bay) are barely used even though they're great spots to throw a blanket down and hang out.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#42 Urbanistco

Urbanistco
  • 172 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:46 AM

This could be due to the decentralization of our communities. So many municipalities all doing their own things. I've spent a lot of time traveling the US and Europe. In the US, I am always amazed at the urban sports complexes that are lit up at night. All sorts of people are out enjoying it. Down by the Victoria waterfront on nice summer nights, people would stop and watch and continue their stroll. People like to perform, athletics are not different. Soccer field in NJ and a basketball court in Cincinnati.  There are more people watching then playing. Also, what is the payback on health? If hospital care can reach $10,000/night, if the health benefits of several thousand people playing an additional game of basketball or soccer over the course of the infrastructure life is only a say, 2%, the improvement pays for itself. But healthcare is provincial and parks are city so there is no connection in life right? haha

99% of the basketball courts in the city suck. Juan De Fuca is ok, Steve Nash is good and it is by far the most used. On a sunny day, its crowded. 

As for turf fields, Saanich and Victoria lease all of their prime time slots to teams leaving 10am on a Tuesday free. At night, there are no fields with nets that aren't chained up. So visually there may be lots of green space, functionally for drop in athletics, there is very very little.

185270_10150269462508887_9733218886_7513Urban-Basketball-Court.jpg

Edited by Urbanistco, 06 May 2014 - 08:48 AM.

• Mike K. likes this

#43 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:12 AM

It always seemed to me as though the ball court in Central Park was quite busy when the weather is nice. Same goes for the one at South Park in James Bay.

The park in Vic West is a small field for adult softball. If memory serves me correctly, left field is basically the skate park and center field is somebody's backyard. The ball fields at Lansdowne Middle School are packed basically every day of the week this time of year (and those field suck...bumpy and very poorly manicured).

The turf soccer fields at Topaz and UVic seem to be busy all of the time. I live by Topaz and I swear there is always something going on there. If I had to guess, there is probably a shortage of turf fields.

A basketball court on the harbour would be cool. A soccer field would be too big, in my opinion (is the space even big enough?). If a new soccer field is needed, my recommendation would be to fix up the awful dirt field at Beacon Hill Park.

#44 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 May 2014 - 09:45 AM

If a new soccer field is needed, my recommendation would be to fix up the awful dirt field at Beacon Hill Park.

Great idea. Does anyone know the history behind these dirt fields? http://goo.gl/maps/EgdBy

A mixed recreation area (say one soccer field and a few basketball and/or tennis courts) would be a welcome addition. There's enough grass and gardens elsewhere in the park leaving this section a great potential to be a sporting area.

• tedward likes this

#45 Urbanistco

Urbanistco
  • 172 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:00 AM

^^

I agree, a full size field is not the goal, rather think a 80m x 40m turf field or even lacrosse box arena style turf field. Often, soccer games are pickup and there aren't always 11v11 players available. A smaller field could still support 11v11 but also 4v4, 7v7 or play horizontally, it offers the most flexibility with the lowest cost.

This is a tennis court turned into a turf field. 

synthetic-sports-fields-3.jpg

Caracas, Venezuela

nwrn67u.jpg

Tokyo, Japan

spaceball.jpg

Edited by Urbanistco, 06 May 2014 - 10:07 AM.

#46 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:13 AM

^ Would love to see the this type of thing on top of a waterfront building, perhaps near/at level with Wharf St.

#47 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:43 AM

^ Would love to see the this type of thing on top of a waterfront building, perhaps near/at level with Wharf St.

One issue I can see is that it can be very cold on the harbor most of the year. The Rooftop at the Sticky Wicket can be bitterly cold and windy if it's not a calm and warm day.

#48 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 10:59 AM

What I love in this thread is the groups ability to point to success outside our region to stimulate ideas on what we could do in our region. WE don't have the population but we have similar weather to NY, Chicago and Tokyo so maybe there is a compromise. The main thing is to try something that wont cost an arm and a leg to change if it doesn't work. Luminara, Splash and other community events that take place in or close to the downtown core suggest we will take advantage of our community space given the right reason to do so.

Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

#49 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 11:22 AM

I am going to try and get a sketch-up done for friday of the Ships Point space. I would really love to see something like the Plaza of Nations there.

Screen-shot-2013-01-21-at-12.48.42-AM.pn

Courtesy of http://www.vancitybuzz.com

• Nparker, rjag and sebberry like this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#50 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,172 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 06 May 2014 - 12:53 PM

This is a long shot, but imagine a smaller version of Federation Square in Melbourne (Wikipedia entry). The outdoor space is a major attraction in itself, but the surrounding buildings also house the main tourist info centre, a museum, art gallery, event spaces, restaurants/bars and more. Definitely worth a visit if you're ever headed there!

#51 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 01:42 PM

The original intention back in the early 70s was that Bastion Square would link up to the Reid Site at the foot of Fort Street below Wharf. We have a separate Reid Site thread here for more on that.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#52 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 04:45 PM

The original intention back in the early 70s was that Bastion Square would link up to the Reid Site at the foot of Fort Street below Wharf. We have a separate Reid Site thread here for more on that.

I clicked on the link...but nothing happened.  :mad:

#53 LJ

LJ
  • 12,701 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 07:14 PM

For future reference:

Yeah, not exactly on my trap line, but thanks.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#54 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 06 May 2014 - 08:47 PM

Reid Site thread:

http://vibrantvictor...harbour-towers/

I said earlier, but had since forgotten, that the zoning on the Reid Site is a measly 1:1 floor space ratio. This is very restrictive and any substantial development will require a rezoning and public hearing.

#55 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:54 PM

So I went by the site tonight and noted the City has put some tents up to keep us dry. I will be there around 4:30pm. If anyone wants to meet-up with me send me a PM. Hope we get a decent turnout!

It has a whole new look!

#56 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:03 AM

You know which parking lots

63852vicnewsVN-HarbourMap.jpg

What I find odd is the inclusion of "1. Belleville Terminal Site".

This is not a parking lot, it is a ferry terminal. There is some parking at the western end for the Victoria Clipper terminal but the identified area is not simply a "parking lot". 

• sebberry likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#57 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 07:53 AM

I think the point is that the primary use of the land is car storage (even if that is while waiting for a ferry and that this could easily be done underground. 

It has a whole new look!

#58 jklymak

jklymak
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:10 AM

I think the point is that the primary use of the land is car storage (even if that is while waiting for a ferry and that this could easily be done underground. 

I don't think "underground" is all that easy when underground is actually underwater. I suppose there could be a sea-level parking lot and something built on top.   

• tedward likes this

#59 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:13 AM

^If below-sea level storage is used for the Provincial Archives, I think it'll be adequate for cars.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#60 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 09 May 2014 - 09:14 AM

I meant just capping at the level that is already there. Just like the cruise ship terminal in Vancouver.The Coho lot is significantly below street level for much of it already.

• jklymak likes this

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users