The Hilton project rezoning was before Nanaimo city council last night, it passed first and second reading, and now goes to a public meeting.
once that is done , it will go through third and final reading
Some of the recommendations that were interesting:
1. direct Staff to secure covenants for pedestrian connectivity, bicycle parking, road works, lot consolidation, road dedication
and community contribution, prior to the adoption of the bylaw, should Council support the bylaw at third reading.
2. To seek Council approval to enter into lease negotiations with Insight Holdings Ltd. for a portion of Georgia Park to facilitate the construction of a patio, water features, public staircase and loading bay as part of the proposed Hilton Hotel project.
This was not a normal rezoning. The site had zoning but they requested a text amendment, which means the existing zone needs additional density which is what they asked for:
1. Height increase to 114m
2. Density increase to 12 FAR
So by my calculations that would total 369,000sqft of buildable space with 8,400sqft floorplates.
Their ask is substantial, this represents a height increase of 40m and a density increase of double.
Also, inbetween 3rd and 4th reading, this will need to be approved by the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure.
There is also likely some Development Permits to apply for.
Some project details:
The applicant is proposing to consolidate the properties (including the abutting lane) and is requesting site specific amendments to the Chapel Front (DT5) zone to construct a hotel development. The hotel is 32 storeys from Front Street including a 6 storey mid-rise component, on
a 2 storey podium. The subject properties slope down from Front Street towards the waterfront and public seawall. The design of the building takes advantage of the sloped site with 3 additional floors below the Front Street level. As such, the view from the waterfront is that of a 35 storey building.
The development includes a variety of uses:
• Hotel with 303 rooms
• Health club and wine club
• 2 restaurants and 1 bar/cafe
• 8 Commercial rental units: 6 along waterfront and 2 along Front Street
The project also comes with a cash sum amenity of $1.187m ($3400/per room).
I say build it asap...
Edited by Urbanistco, 12 August 2014 - 09:46 AM.