Proposed Nanaimo Hilton Tower

Hotel

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#21 Wally

Wally
  • 156 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:14 AM

I find this very hard to take seriously, nor can I see that much demand for hotel rooms in Nanaimo.  The Coast Hotel has suffered from high vacancy for years.  How can a city of around 100,000 absorb this many hotel rooms?

Whats going on with the Chinese backed hotel, have they broken ground yet?

According to the most recent tourism report, occupancy is down 5% YOY in Nanaimo and there were 0 convention days in the past month. I can't see how there is demand for two more hotels in that area.

#22 Nanaimoite

Nanaimoite
  • 158 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 06:14 AM

this notice was in this mornings Nanaimo Daily Newsphoto.JPG photo.JPG

#23 Urbanistco

Urbanistco
  • 172 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 07:54 AM

I always thought that if the business ferry every picked up steam, Nanaimo would see some incredible growth. I liken it to a West Coast Express style service. Depending where you look, the average home price between Nanaimo and say Abbotsford is a $150,000 difference with a similar commuting time. Arguably, the ferry you can actually do some work on it. It would seem Nanaimo could become a slight bedroom community to Vancouver.

#24 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,677 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:16 AM

Yup that could be a possibility for sure.

How fast was the fast ferry that operated between Vancouver and Nanaimo?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#25 dasmo

dasmo
  • 4,886 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 08:22 AM

Do a smaller passenger only ferry with a multi vehicle service on each side. That could be much faster and cheaper. Park and ride, bus, taxi, car share, bike storage. 

http://stock.damen.c...CFQmSfgodxi4A8w

#26 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,860 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:23 AM

For s***s and giggles re: this specific Nanaimo proposal CHEK ran a poll on Facebook this week about increased building heights both in Victoria and on the island generally; it should be no surprise the vast majority of respondents were Victorians and you can imagine their responses, overall, to the question. And yes you would be correct....The coming of the Apocalypse, Blotting out of the Sun, a Concrete Blight and - my perennial favorite "Don't want to look like Vancouver!!!!" - were all fairly typical, as you might expect from the loony CAVE element that seems to predominate on the south island. It just has to be something either in the water here, the air, or both..... 

#27 Nanaimoite

Nanaimoite
  • 158 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 10:34 AM

The general feeling in Nanaimo has been very positive, I don't think there is a fear here to look like a city, but that's just been my personal observation

#28 Nparker

Nparker
  • 23,075 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 11:02 AM

... CHEK ran a poll on Facebook this week about increased building heights both in Victoria and on the island generally...."Don't want to look like Vancouver!!!!..... 

This freaking drives me crazy. :mad:  Believe it or not Vancouver is actually a rather beautiful city. We should aspire to have some of the beauty that is our sister city to the east.

• AllseeingEye and jonny like this

#29 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 3,860 posts
  • LocationGorge

Posted 08 May 2014 - 12:05 PM

This freaking drives me crazy. :mad:  Believe it or not Vancouver is actually a rather beautiful city. We should aspire to have some of the beauty that is our sister city to the east.

Couldn't agree more; let me just say born here 53 years ago, raised and educated and married in Victoria, family has been here 100+ years ad infinitum.....however I've had the very great good fortune to live (twice) in Vancouver since 1987. Without a doubt it is one of the great cities of the world in terms especially of the natural environment, the pristine nature of the larger area, the diversity of its cultures and just plain old fashioned "things to do", of which there are literally 1001 on any given day. Period. Full stop. It ain't routinely voted one of the most livable cities on planet Earth for nothing. Yet I haven't noticed Victoria on any such list....

Therefore my suggestion is that rather than bi****ng and moaning off in a corner like some spastic, petulant little brat maybe -  just maybe - Victoria and especially those who market this town might want to pay some constructive attention to some of the key attributes that Vancouver possesses, and other things they do very well in terms of attracting tourists, to name one relevant and key industry that impacts everyone on the south island; and rather than tossing bricks from the sideline this area might just want to acknowledge that, in fact, Vancouver does many things, possibly even most things, better than we do. One of those of course is the fact it celebrates being "a city". A real city. A global city. Here....mmm, not so much. Every postcard since 1945 would have you convinced the only structures here are the Empress Hotel and the Legislature. Its almost as if the marketing powers that be are afraid to acknowledge just a few blocks away from both exists - horror of horrors, you know...um, a tall(ish) building or two. And in the process, possibly we might actually learn something and most critically apply that knowledge by taking the very best of "Vancouver" and adapting it to fit out our local circumstances. Being more open to innovative and interesting architecture just might be a start. However in my experience whining incessantly and gazing at one's navel in a mirror tends to accomplish little in that regard.

• Nparker and jonny like this

#30 Nparker

Nparker
  • 23,075 posts

Posted 08 May 2014 - 01:33 PM

...whining incessantly and gazing at one's navel in a mirror tends to accomplish little in that regard.

I believe whining and navel-gazing are incorporated on the City's coat of arms...along with studying things to death rather than actually doing anything.

Edited by Nparker, 12 August 2014 - 08:11 AM.

#31 Nanaimoite

Nanaimoite
  • 158 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:45 AM

The Hilton project rezoning was before Nanaimo city council last night, it passed first and second reading, and now goes to a public meeting.

once that is done , it will go through third and final reading

#32 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,677 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 06:52 AM

Very good. Thanks for keeping us updated!

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#33 Urbanistco

Urbanistco
  • 172 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 09:45 AM

The Hilton project rezoning was before Nanaimo city council last night, it passed first and second reading, and now goes to a public meeting.

once that is done , it will go through third and final reading

Some of the recommendations that were interesting:

1. direct Staff to secure covenants for pedestrian connectivity, bicycle parking, road works, lot consolidation, road dedication 

and community contribution, prior to the adoption of the bylaw, should Council support the bylaw at third reading.

2. To seek Council approval to enter into lease negotiations with Insight Holdings Ltd. for a portion of Georgia Park to facilitate the construction of a patio, water features, public staircase and loading bay as part of the proposed Hilton Hotel project.

This was not a normal rezoning. The site had zoning but they requested a text amendment, which means the existing zone needs additional density which is what they asked for:

1. Height increase to 114m

2. Density increase to 12 FAR

So by my calculations that would total 369,000sqft of buildable space with 8,400sqft floorplates.

Their ask is substantial, this represents a height increase of 40m and a density increase of double.

Also, inbetween 3rd and 4th reading, this will need to be approved by the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure.

There is also likely some Development Permits to apply for.

Some project details:

The applicant is proposing to consolidate the properties (including the abutting lane) and is requesting site specific amendments to the Chapel Front (DT5) zone to construct a hotel development. The hotel is 32 storeys from Front Street including a 6 storey mid-rise component, on 
a 2 storey podium. The subject properties slope down from Front Street towards the waterfront and public seawall. The design of the building takes advantage of the sloped site with 3 additional floors below the Front Street level. As such, the view from the waterfront is that of a 35 storey building. 

The development includes a variety of uses: 
• Hotel with 303 rooms 
• Health club and wine club 
• 2 restaurants and 1 bar/cafe 
• 8 Commercial rental units: 6 along waterfront and 2 along Front Street

The project also comes with a cash sum amenity of $1.187m ($3400/per room).

I say build it asap...

Attached Images

• PDF.jpg
  • 2.jpg
  • 3.jpg
  • 4.jpg

Edited by Urbanistco, 12 August 2014 - 09:46 AM.

• Mike K., Mr Cook Street and thundergun like this

#34 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 11:05 AM

Wow thanks for posting good to see!

#35 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,677 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:23 PM

That's awesome.

The tallest building in Nanaimo is the 76 meter, 26-storey Beacon condo. If approved at 114 meters this tower will be significantly taller. That's crazy.

Know it all.

#36 thundergun

thundergun
  • 1,165 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:36 PM

My math says 114m/76m = 1.5x as tall.

This looks great! With these new developments, an improved airport with increased traffic, cheaper real estate and a future passenger ferry direct to downtown Vancouver, Nanaimo is looking like it's ready to take some of Victoria's business. Hopefully the local councilors here are taking note (when not discussing how to undermine professional engineering opinions on local speed limits).

#37 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,677 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 12:44 PM

Nah, with every move Nanaimo makes everyone always frets that the end is nigh for Victoria. Nanaimo is growing and it has localized demand for new business, as does Victoria. I highly, highly doubt any Victoria businesses will be making the move up Island unless it makes strategic sense to do so regardless of whether or not Nanaimo builds a hotel and adds a ferry route.

Know it all.

#38 aastra

aastra
  • 14,634 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:25 PM

So what's the plan for filling those 303 rooms? That's a lot of new hotel rooms.

#39 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 48,677 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 01:49 PM

I've been wondering that myself. Together with the Chinese-backed hotel that's a great deal of capacity.

Clearly the industry is pre-empting something as is often the case when big players suddenly start making moves. We often see this sort of thing with office development where the industry knows five years in advance that some level of government is planning to make a big leasing announcement.

Know it all.

#40 Nparker

Nparker
  • 23,075 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 02:21 PM

...If approved at 114 meters this tower will be significantly taller...

than anything built in Victoria in the next 200 years.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users