Hotel

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#41 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 05:02 PM

Just remember all the tall towers approved in Greater Victoria that never happened.  They haven't broken ground on either this of the chinesse hotel yet.  Heck, the proposed Hilton sits on a started and failed construction project.

I find it hard to believe that Nanaimo call fill all of these proposed rooms

#42 Nanaimoite

Nanaimoite
  • 158 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:25 PM

If finished, I see this as the most Iconic hotel on the Island, other than the Empress of course.

there is a lot of positive buzz in town right now.

The rumours right now are saying Capital Iron is looking for a Downtown location

#43 Nanaimoite

Nanaimoite
  • 158 posts

Posted 12 August 2014 - 10:30 PM

Just remember all the tall towers approved in Greater Victoria that never happened.  They haven't broken ground on either this of the chinesse hotel yet.  Heck, the proposed Hilton sits on a started and failed construction project.

I find it hard to believe that Nanaimo call fill all of these proposed rooms

Actually to be accurate, Insight has always owned the site, the previous Condo tower project they were going to build on the site was always market dependant. 

The Sea Walk tower was proposed in the 2007/2008 time, just as everything was going bust.

Instead Insight sat on the site, and moved forward with its other Nanaimo area projects.

#44 Urbanistco

Urbanistco
  • 172 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:41 AM

Nanaimo > DT Vancouver (63min proposed)

Langley > DT Vancouver (65min)

Langley Avg Home Price: $568,000

Nanaimo Avg Home Price: $360,000

$208,000 buys a lot of ferry tickets. Not to mention the productive ferry travel time and quality of life surrounding Nanaimo.

It's a compelling business case...

Edited by Urbanistco, 13 August 2014 - 07:42 AM.

#45 aastra

aastra
  • 15,159 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 07:48 AM

A business case for building a large hotel? I'm not sure I understand. This Hilton won't have any condo units in it, will it?

#46 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 08:35 AM

$208,000 buys a lot of ferry tickets. Not to mention the productive ferry travel time and quality of life surrounding Nanaimo.

I've heard they're talking about $25 one way on the Nanaimo to Vancouver foot passenger ferry. That's $50/day, plus most people will likely drive to the ferry terminal and have to find parking, so add a few more bucks on there.

Also, let's not forget we have no idea if the ferry schedule will be set up for commuters. That thing is going to be a vomit comet like the Victoria Clipper can be at times in the winter. How often will sailings be cancelled? Will you get stranded in Vancouver, or not be able to make it into work several days per month?

#47 Nanaimoite

Nanaimoite
  • 158 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:04 AM

The 25 dollar fare is for walk up fares on the fast ferry, monthly pass users will be getting it at a reduced price,
They have said they r also looking at an airline model, where if there is a large capacity of unsold seats on a sailing, the seats will be put on sale

#48 Nanaimoite

Nanaimoite
  • 158 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:06 AM

I know a lot of real estate in the south downtown seems to be moving quickly lately, (neighbourhood above the fast ferry terminal))

#49 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 51,459 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 10:26 AM

There's definitely something afoot, I can virtually guarantee you that.

But as Nanaimoite says, the Hilton will be the second most iconic hotel on Vancouver Island for sure.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#50 Urbanistco

Urbanistco
  • 172 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:44 AM

A business case for building a large hotel? I'm not sure I understand. This Hilton won't have any condo units in it, will it?

If Nanaimo experiences a fraction of the growth pressures of the lower Mainland, this hotel will have the best spot in the entire city. I'm not saying that is enough to build a $35m hotel but it may be a strong contributing factor.

#51 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 11:58 AM

Downtown Nanaimo still suffers from the stinky mills that are in the area. 

#52 aastra

aastra
  • 15,159 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:07 PM

I wonder why they didn't use the top several stories for condos.

#53 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 12:37 PM

I don't get it.

Who is going to stay at a Hilton in Nanaimo?

#54 Nanaimoite

Nanaimoite
  • 158 posts

Posted 13 August 2014 - 04:13 PM

To echo what was said earlier, I think the big money, and investors are in the know of something that's coming.

#55 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 07:37 AM

So is this going to be an actual Hilton or one of their lower end offerings?

#56 spanky123

spanky123
  • 11,735 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:08 AM

Are we seriously discussing a fast ferry from Nanaimo to Van yet AGAIN. What is this the 10th kick at the cat?
  • jonny likes this

#57 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 51,459 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:44 AM

You have to take into account that a private ferry may not be around three years after it launches. Anyone who buys a home and settles their family on the Island with plans to commute to Vancouver via fast ferry has to take that into account and for that reason alone the majority of individuals even considering this option will realize its too big of a gamble given the checkered past with fast ferries.

Greater Nanaimo has to hit a population of 300k to make a fast ferry feasible. And even then it might be a tough gig in the off season.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#58 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 08:52 AM

You have to take into account that a private ferry may not be around three years after it launches. Anyone who buys a home and settles their family on the Island with plans to commute to Vancouver via fast ferry has to take that into account and for that reason alone the majority of individuals even considering this option will realize its too big of a gamble given the checkered past with fast ferries.

Greater Nanaimo has to hit a population of 300k to make a fast ferry feasible. And even then it might be a tough gig in the off season.

Exactly.

The only way this fast ferry concept in Nanaimo works is if the owner is looking for some allowable taxable losses to offset some other money making enterprises because they only possible outcome I see is this operation hemorrhaging cash.

#59 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 09:52 AM

Victoria couldn't make the fast ferry work to Vancouver 20+ years ago and it had 300k+ population

Someone is smoking that wacky tobacco and coming up with these ideas

#60 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 51,459 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 10:25 AM

Victoria's fast ferry technically wasn't a fast ferry, it had to travel waaaaay further than the Swartz Bay/Tsaw BC Ferries routes and it just wasn't appealing to people.

All that said back when the region was at 300k we had the Coho, BC Ferries, a fast ferry, the Clipper, Bellingham ferry, and the Seattle car ferry. We actually had more options than we do today in this era of high fuel costs and the necessity to run a super lean, supper efficient operation.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users