Proposed Nanaimo Hilton Tower

Hotel

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#61 spanky123

spanky123
  • 11,620 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:43 PM

Victoria couldn't make the fast ferry work to Vancouver 20+ years ago and it had 300k+ population

Someone is smoking that wacky tobacco and coming up with these ideas

And there were far fewer environmental and safety regulations back then as well.

#62 Nanaimoite

Nanaimoite
  • 158 posts

Posted 14 August 2014 - 04:46 PM

The commuters that this ferry is trying to attract are those that are maybe have an office based in vancouver, but have to only go in maybe three times a week, (can use home computer), the way people to business has changed since the last ferry was running, also , the Canucks now play in a downtown arena, much easier for people to go over to catch a game, and be back home the same night.
Lots has changed on both sides of the water in the almost decade since the last service ran

#63 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:02 AM

The operating cost of these suckers is going to be pretty high. Crew, diesel fuel, and R&M are all very expensive. My guess is these will cost somewhere around $4,000 per hour.

$4,000 divided by $25 equals a lot of tickets that need to be sold just to break even.

#64 spanky123

spanky123
  • 11,620 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 08:26 AM

The commuters that this ferry is trying to attract are those that are maybe have an office based in vancouver, but have to only go in maybe three times a week, (can use home computer), the way people to business has changed since the last ferry was running, also , the Canucks now play in a downtown arena, much easier for people to go over to catch a game, and be back home the same night.
Lots has changed on both sides of the water in the almost decade since the last service ran

No question that there is some demand. Study after study has yielded the same outcome though. Transit time ahs to be 60 min or less, price has to be $25 or less and any company needs at least $25M in cash to cover initial startup and operation costs. Maybe these new guys can do all of that, but a facebook and twitter link and a mandate to be up and running by March 1st when they are starting from scratch doesn't give me a lot of confidence.

#65 LJ

LJ
  • 9,114 posts

Posted 15 August 2014 - 07:12 PM

Maybe they know something about a bridge being built. Maybe they are going to build one. House prices in Nanaimo would double overnight.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#66 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 06:21 AM

I am still confused, what has changed since the last fast ferry stopped running 8 years ago?  Commuters were there and didn't the Canucks play in GM Place then too?  On top of that the economy is generally a lot worse than what it was 8 years ago

#67 spanky123

spanky123
  • 11,620 posts

Posted 16 August 2014 - 08:11 AM

I am still confused, what has changed since the last fast ferry stopped running 8 years ago?  Commuters were there and didn't the Canucks play in GM Place then too?  On top of that the economy is generally a lot worse than what it was 8 years ago

The previously operators claimed that the ferry itself was 'operationally profitable' but that they did not have the financial resources to cover unexpected costs and the startup period. That sounds to me like incredibly bad planning but taken at its face it sounds like a route could make some money.

#68 Nanaimoite

Nanaimoite
  • 158 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:15 AM

I can't wait to see two highrise cranes on the nanaimo skyline

#69 Nanaimoite

Nanaimoite
  • 158 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 09:16 AM

Maybe they know something about a bridge being built. Maybe they are going to build one. House prices in Nanaimo would double overnight.

Yes they would double over night, technically Nanaimo is the same distance from Downtown Vancouver as eastern Surrey/ west Langley.

Edited by Nanaimoite, 17 August 2014 - 09:18 AM.

#70 lanforod

lanforod
  • 7,195 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 17 August 2014 - 12:30 PM

A multibillion dollar bridge. Doesn't make sense.

#71 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 50,371 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 02:41 PM

No no there won't be a bridge. We'd have heard of this plan a decade out. Anything requiring federal, provincial and municipal approvals takes many years just in that phase alone, never mind the engineering, the public consultation, etc.

As for construction I wouldn't expect the Hilton to move forward until 2016. It'll take some time between receiving approvals and digging a hole in the ground.

I too wonder why they're going 100% hotel unless there's a timeshare element to the tower or condos are indeed being mulled.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#72 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:21 PM

^FYI the hole is already dug

#73 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 17 August 2014 - 07:25 PM

I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned in the news that the Hilton would have condos or timeshare units

#74 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 50,371 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 06:36 AM

Ah, ok so there will be a presales period of some sort.

@concorde, they've already excavated the foundation for a 31-storey tower?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#75 Nanaimoite

Nanaimoite
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:12 AM

I'm pretty sure it's been mentioned in the news that the Hilton would have condos or timeshare units

actually the developer was asked this by a councillor at last Mondays council meeting, they developer said these will not be time share or sold

it will be solely a hotel

#76 Nanaimoite

Nanaimoite
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:14 AM

Ah, ok so there will be a presales period of some sort.

@concorde, they've already excavated the foundation for a 31-storey tower?

the pit was already excavated for the previous Sea Walk condo tower proposal

#77 Nanaimoite

Nanaimoite
  • 158 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:16 AM

With most of the excavation previously done, The Hilton Hotel project should be able to get going pretty quickly once they get the go ahead

#78 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 50,371 posts

Posted 18 August 2014 - 08:33 AM

Typically once the go-ahead is given the working drawings must be drafted and only then will the project go to tender. This can take a very long time for a tower of that size. My guess is a construction start in 2016.

Know it all.

#79 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 20 August 2014 - 04:06 PM

http://www.marinelin...inal375336.aspx

First Container Ship Call at Duke Point Terminal, Nanaimo
By George Backwell
Tuesday, August 19, 2014

• Nanaimoite likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#80 Nanaimoite

Nanaimoite
  • 158 posts

Posted 05 September 2014 - 07:54 AM

The hotel passed third reading last night, for it's re-zoning

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users