Customs House
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 816 Government Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 7
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse)
Sales status: now selling
The Customs House development encompasses a full restoration of the historic Customs House building at Wharf a... (view full profile)
Learn more about Customs House on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Customs House | Condos; commercial | 7- & 5-storeys | Built - completed in 2021

• Please log in to reply
800 replies to this topic

#221 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 02:07 PM

You know I had not seen that angle yet. That makes me really like this project. I love the metal deck posts.
  • Nparker likes this

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#222 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 11 September 2015 - 02:36 PM

It does look good from that angle.  Just wish it could have been "more". 

• Nparker likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#223 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 07:31 AM

I also would be curious to see what Frank Gehry would do with that site.

probably something with big titanium panels similar to his new sunset blvd project

8150-Sunset_North-Aerial-Model.jpg
http://la.curbed.com...8150_sunset.php

or the bilbao museum, walt disney concert hall, etc. or maybe this building in prague

800px-58_365%C2%B2_El_inevitable_paso_de
https://commons.wiki...y:Dancing_House

maybe i'll photoshop the last one just to see how it looks

#224 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 10:31 AM

One very cool change being undertaken involves the raising of the ground level windows in the older part of the building. What is currently just a narrow horizontal window will be expanded to full size. That should present a much improved streetscape.

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#225 western

western
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 11:09 AM

I know the second design is approved, but is there any chance it can be redesigned before construction begins? 

When will that day come when we get something innovative; like the hotel in Prague???

#226 Fernwoodian

Fernwoodian
  • 100 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 01:05 PM

^ Just to note I think the renderings above don't reflect the design that was ultimately approved the other night.
  • western likes this

#227 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 01:32 PM

Those are the only renderings made available on their website. It's too bad if they're not depicting what was approved :(

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#228 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:21 PM

Good call by Fernwoodian. Check out pages 40-56 of the agenda. The top floor is different and there's a big overhanging element that I'm not really getting.

Edited by aastra, 12 September 2015 - 02:22 PM.

#229 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:24 PM

I know the second design is approved, but is there any chance it can be redesigned before construction begins? 

When will that day come when we get something innovative; like the hotel in Prague???

Welcome to the forum, western!

I doubt there will be many changes made to the approved design. 

• western likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#230 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:29 PM

I'll be honest... I'm not really seeing much of an improvement to what's there now. 

Pam Madoff on CFAX the other day responded to the question "how much taller will this building be than the one that's there now" with "it's twice the height allowed by the old town guidelines."

That's a good way to fuel the fear mongering, when in reality this is the difference:

Customs.JPG

• western likes this

#231 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:29 PM

Wow. That's quite the difference.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#232 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:36 PM

In Victoria revisions to original designs almost always seem to go in the wrong direction.

Wharf_Government_Renderings.png

• sebberry likes this

#233 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:38 PM

"it's twice the height allowed by the old town guidelines."

Scary stuff. Why not say "It's the same height as the 1890s building that occupied this same spot"? Maybe because people would inevitably ask, why the heck are the old town guidelines so out of whack with the actual historic built form of the old town? Many (most?) of the old town's finest historic buildings would have been in violation of the modern old town guidelines!

This is what I'm talking about when I say people aren't really interested in historic Victoria or preserving/restoring the old days, etc.

post-763-0-68462200-1442096782.jpg

42-339.jpg

pic from http://www.wayfarers...gues/42-339.jpg

edit looking back in 2018: clarified some things

Edited by aastra, 25 September 2018 - 04:28 PM.

• Nparker, sebberry and western like this

#234 western

western
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:46 PM

^ Just to note I think the renderings above don't reflect the design that was ultimately approved the other night.

That is very good news. I really hope it changes.

Edited by western, 12 September 2015 - 02:48 PM.

#235 western

western
  • 27 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 02:55 PM

I personally like the new rendering on the right. It looks less bland when seen from the harbour...But basically no improvement at all.

In Victoria revisions to original designs almost always seem to go in the wrong direction.

Wharf_Government_Renderings.png

I'll be honest... I'm not really seeing much of an improvement to what's there now. 

Pam Madoff on CFAX the other day responded to the question "how much taller will this building be than the one that's there now" with "it's twice the height allowed by the old town guidelines."

That's a good way to fuel the fear mongering, when in reality this is the difference:

Customs.JPG

#236 Fernwoodian

Fernwoodian
  • 100 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 06:20 PM

I'd love to see the financials on this project... Retaining the heritage facades while digging down for underground parking can't be cheap.... not to mention fixing all the spalling limestone. The masonry contractors must be salivating over this job!

#237 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 12 September 2015 - 07:34 PM

Think of what an amazing place that would be to live if you had one of the units facing the harbour. Never a dull moment.

#238 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 10:06 AM

There wasn’t much opposition to the development plans, though some had objected to its height and some of its design elements.

Helps said she understood the concerns some had about losing the look or feel of Old Town, but she argued while that heritage charm is part of Victoria’s fabric, it’s people that enliven a space.

“This development is part of the harbour — a complement to the Empress [Hotel] and the parliament buildings — and it’s an anchor to downtown,” she said. “We do need to preserve heritage, as it is part of what makes Victoria special, but if we want Victoria to continue to be special into the 21st century, we need people living and working downtown.

“So a sensitive redevelopment with a little bit of extra heights? I’m OK with that.”

http://www.timescolo...roved-1.2057287

ps- is it custom house or customs house? even the wikipedia page doesn't make it clear

#239 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 10:34 AM

It's Customs House.

Ps, didn't we just prove that the heritage building that once stood on the site of the 1950's addition was the same height as the new proposal?
  • sebberry likes this

Know it all.

#240 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 13 September 2015 - 10:38 AM

I don't think its a great design, kind of uninspired, but I will take a living building over a shell anytime. Thanks for the images of past and present. Doesn't anyone ever call out Madoff on her simply untrue malarkey?
  • Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users