Customs House
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 816 Government Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 7
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse)
Sales status: now selling
The Customs House development encompasses a full restoration of the historic Customs House building at Wharf a... (view full profile)
Learn more about Customs House on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Customs House | Condos; commercial | 7- & 5-storeys | Built - completed in 2021

• Please log in to reply
800 replies to this topic

#361 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 08:35 AM

Definitely puts things in perspective. This building is garnering international attention so it’s important to market both the building and it’s vicinity.

Ya, that's true.  It was more the frame-up and drop the floors and awnings in that was cool for sure, but obviously not indicative of anything.  By the fly-in is nice.

• Mike K. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#362 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,390 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 09:00 AM

...It was more the frame-up and drop the floors and awnings in that was cool for sure, but obviously not indicative of anything...

I think the "drop the floors" thing was mean to indicate how the heritage building will be repurposed. Only the shell will remain (more or less) with a mostly new structure built inside. And yeah, it looked cool too.

Any idea as to when the Government Street building will come down? Any bets on how long after that some local-yokel suggests turning that site into a park?

#363 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 09:20 AM

This building is garnering international attention so it’s important to market both the building and it’s vicinity.

What international attention?  names and articles please

#364 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 09:27 AM

Where are the Cressey's, Polygon's, Pinnacles, PCI's, Amacon's, Bentall's.......????

To me this sounds like yet another comparison between Victoria and much larger cities. If Victoria has four or five of something then why doesn't it have ten or twenty? Meanwhile, other cities Victoria's size are lucky to have one or two. It seems to be an unofficial rule: Victoria can only be compared to much larger cities (to diminish its successes) or to much smaller cities (to dampen its ambitions), but never can Victoria be compared to other cities its same size.

Anyway, if we cross our fingers maybe one day downtown Victoria will be blessed with a large commercial development by Cadillac-Fairview or somebody like that.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#365 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 11:35 AM

Jeepers, tjv, do you have it out for this project, or something? First you come up with scenarios where 20-storey buildings will suddenly appear along the edge of the harbour, now you want names and articles referring to potential buyers? Did you lose out on the unit you wanted, or something?  :banana:

But to answer your question, I was speaking with the sales team and there are folks from various parts of the world who have expressed interest in the building. It's an iconic landmark, and opportunities of this calibre do not materialize often.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#366 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 11:39 AM

Business in Vancouver.  29.5% of the readership is international*.

https://www.biv.com/...-100m-makeover/

* usual

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 29 October 2017 - 11:39 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#367 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 11:42 AM

To me this sounds like yet another comparison between Victoria and much larger cities. If Victoria has four or five of something then why doesn't it have ten or twenty? Meanwhile, other cities Victoria's size are lucky to have one or two. It seems to be an unofficial rule: Victoria can only be compared to much larger cities (to diminish its successes) or to much smaller cities (to dampen its ambitions), but never can Victoria be compared to other cities its same size.

Anyway, if we cross our fingers maybe one day downtown Victoria will be blessed with a large commercial development by Cadillac-Fairview or somebody like that.

Because

Onni
Bosa Properties
Bosa Development
Ecoasis
Gablecraft
Townline
Westbank
REV Investments
Chard Development
VanCity
Concert Properties
Parc Retirement
Realstar
Omicron
Morguard (to name just some) isn't enough for a small city.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#368 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,234 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 01:46 PM

I'm sorry aastra. I can't tell if you are being sarcastic or not. Aren't you forgetting the whole Eaton Centre (now the Bay Centre)?

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#369 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 01:53 PM

^ He being funny!

• Nparker likes this

#370 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 03:45 PM

Jeepers, tjv, do you have it out for this project, or something? First you come up with scenarios where 20-storey buildings will suddenly appear along the edge of the harbour, now you want names and articles referring to potential buyers? Did you lose out on the unit you wanted, or something?  :banana:

But to answer your question, I was speaking with the sales team and there are folks from various parts of the world who have expressed interest in the building. It's an iconic landmark, and opportunities of this calibre do not materialize often.

No I don't have it in for this project but when you said it was garnering international attention I would like to know more.  To me that means that it is being featured in New York, London, Paris, etc magazines.

I didn't lose out on a unit, nor am I interested in a condo.  For those prices I would move into the Uplands without a second thought.

I have been to condo openings in the past and the sales people are telling me "fantastic view, etc, etc" to which I respond "Good, we'll put that in the contract that the view will remain unobstructed for my lifetime" to which they start to back track.  The realtor lied thru his teeth when I bought my property and when confronted he only started to tell the truth.  Long story short, sales people often tell you anything to sell and I always take it with that in mind

And unless Stan Sipos owns Ships Point and the surrounding waterfront, he can't guarantee water views.  Other than that, its a great project

And what's wrong with a string of 20 storey condos all along the waters edge coupled with a great public component?  You could do a public sale like the Expo 86 lands 30 years ago to a major offshore investor.  Have we even seen a major US/international developer ever come to Victoria?

• Matt R. likes this

#371 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 05:22 PM

No no, there’s something peculiar here. You’re a little too uppity over this project. Your sudden scenarios with 20-storey towers, questioning where buyers are coming from, recollections of discussions with realtors regarding other projects, referring to the developer by name, questioning non-local developer activity... It all points to a little more than an average Joe just asking innocent questions and positing innocent scenarios...

Maybe give this thread a break for a while. You’ve taken us on enough tangents here.

• VicHockeyFan and Bingo like this

Know it all.

#372 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 07:23 PM

20 storey buildings at Ship Point would be a disaster, and I'm a big proponent of more height in Victoria.
  • VicHockeyFan likes this

#373 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 29 October 2017 - 08:10 PM

20 storey buildings at Ship Point would be a disaster, and I'm a big proponent of more height in Victoria.

Why? If done right of course. Should be a landmark

#374 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:46 AM

No no, there’s something peculiar here. You’re a little too uppity over this project. Your sudden scenarios with 20-storey towers, questioning where buyers are coming from, recollections of discussions with realtors regarding other projects, referring to the developer by name, questioning non-local developer activity... It all points to a little more than an average Joe just asking innocent questions and positing innocent scenarios...

Maybe give this thread a break for a while. You’ve taken us on enough tangents here.

Not sure why you think that, I have no interest in buying into this project nor do I care if it proceeds or not.  As I have said previously it is a great project

I think its a reasonable question to ask for more info when someone says the project is "garnering international attention", sorry if you feel I shouldn't ask for more details

I am entitled to my opinion about what should be done at Ships Point, just like you are

I am involved in construction and development and know a lot of contractors and developers personally.  I've met Stan on several occasions and have had some good chats with him.  Dave Chard, Bruno Wall, Bobby/Karnel/Mohney/Mike Jawl, etc I know them all.  I am not an "average Joe" standing on the sidewalk looking over the fence that is correct

But as you wish, I won't comment on this building further

#375 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 07:51 AM

Why? If done right of course. Should be a landmark

It likely wouldn't be done right. 

We have yet to see a skinny, elegant building go up downtown. Something like 20 storeys at Ship Point would need to be very skinny and extremely elegant. A bloated faux heritage building with lots of balconies and stucco would be an disaster. 

The best waterfronts are low rise with lots of public spaces, restaurants, bars, active transportation options, etc. They have promenades and boardwalks. I really don't think this is the place for a 20 floor building with a big parkade entrance and/or a large hotel main entrance. We have plenty of better spots for those. 

Edited by jonny, 30 October 2017 - 07:56 AM.

#376 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:40 AM

"Good, we'll put that in the contract that the view will remain unobstructed for my lifetime" to which they start to back track.

I know the feeling. Many times I've tried to get realtors to guarantee that my purchase will only go up in value for as long as I own it and that it will never go up after I sell. They always backtrack.

• Nparker and RoadRunner like this

#377 aastra

aastra
  • 20,649 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 08:43 AM

Have we all lost our minds or something? Why are we talking about potential large developments at Ship Point if a small development at Northern Junk hasn't been able to get anywhere?

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker, jonny and 1 other like this

#378 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 30 October 2017 - 11:45 AM

And what's wrong with a string of 20 storey condos all along the waters edge coupled with a great public component?  

You could do a public sale like the Expo 86 lands 30 years ago to a major offshore investor. 

Have we even seen a major US/international developer ever come to Victoria?

You claim to know everybody, so I am curious as to how long you have lived in Victoria.

Personally I think we have enough talent here without needing someone from away come here to put up towers on the harbour waterfront.

#379 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 05 November 2017 - 04:51 PM

The sales office has opened on Warf St. next to ICBC.

37490068274_c2da2085a6_k.jpg

• Nparker likes this

#380 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,155 posts

Posted 20 December 2017 - 07:34 PM

Full size images: https://victoria.cit.../customs-house/

Customs-House-December-20-2017.jpg

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users