Customs House
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 816 Government Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 7
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse)
Sales status: now selling
The Customs House development encompasses a full restoration of the historic Customs House building at Wharf a... (view full profile)
Learn more about Customs House on Citified.ca
Photo

[Downtown Victoria] Customs House | Condos; commercial | 7- & 5-storeys | Built - completed in 2021

• Please log in to reply
800 replies to this topic

#381 Gary H

Gary H
  • 3,482 posts

Posted 18 January 2018 - 07:45 PM

Lots of steel beams being delivered...

24902514867_200c657681_k.jpg

27993693929_451d397b66_k.jpg

24902513367_89dbe37b63_k.jpg

• Rob Randall and jonny like this

#382 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 16 February 2018 - 05:00 PM

Council CoTW is considering a 10-year property tax break for this development on Thursday Feb 22.

#383 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:01 AM

^How much potential tax revenue will the City be giving up? Those are luxury units with a big price tag. The purpose of the tax holiday is to encourage saving and rehabbing heritage buildings that might otherwise be in danger of being lost. I don't know if that's the case here. 

• Nparker likes this

#384 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 07:02 AM

Here's a Vancouver Sun article:

http://vancouversun....s-inner-harbour

Among the project’s greatest challenges has been retaining the heritage features of the windows, including those at ground level, and adapting the interiors, which had the typical floor plates of office and administrative structures of the day, to modern-day living standards.

“The building has much larger floor plates than those in residential buildings,” he said, adding the original design has “long, narrow bowling alley-like footprints from the building’s core to the facade” that are not suitable for residential living. “We went through many iterations.” Also challenging is shoring up the heritage façade while performing seismic upgrades and excavating under the building to construct three levels of underground parking.

Patrick O’Callaghan, marketing manager of Magnum Projects, which is selling the homes, said about 50 per cent of the units — including one of the penthouses for $10 million — have been purchased since the sales campaign began in late August.

Edited by Rob Randall, 17 February 2018 - 07:07 AM.

#385 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 17 February 2018 - 08:00 AM

It’s not up to the City to decide what is and isn’t luxury, though. There are single family homes worth as much as some of these condos that also enjoy a tax holiday under this scheme.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#386 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 07:47 AM

Council approved this with Issit and Loveday the sole dissenters.

#387 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:04 AM

http://www.timescolo...fire-1.23183021

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#388 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:31 AM

It does seem wrong at first blush, but we live in a country where everyone should be entitled to the same government rules. This is a housing project, perhaps a very expensive project but its still housing and should be treated as such without the 'stigma' attached that they dont like it because they are high end. That should make zero difference. 

• grantpalin likes this

#389 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,550 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:50 AM

And on the flip side they also rejected a 44-unit rental project in Fairfield. Did anyone watch the hearing? The earlier concept had 36 condos, and increased by 20% in density with the switch to rentals. Did that trip up the approvals?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#390 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 08:59 AM

^ This the one next to the hospital?  Or in CSV?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 23 February 2018 - 09:00 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#391 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:01 AM

^ This the one next to the hospital?  Or in CSV?

The project in this thread:  https://vibrantvicto...oreys-proposed/

#392 MarkoJ

MarkoJ
  • 5,780 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 23 February 2018 - 11:38 AM

It does seem wrong at first blush, but we live in a country where everyone should be entitled to the same government rules. This is a housing project, perhaps a very expensive project but its still housing and should be treated as such without the 'stigma' attached that they dont like it because they are high end. That should make zero difference. 

+1 rule are rules.

Marko Juras, REALTOR® & Associate Broker | Gold MLS® 2011-2023 | Fair Realty

www.MarkoJuras.com Looking at Condo Pre-Sales in Victoria? Save Thousands!

#393 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:03 PM

^How much potential tax revenue will the City be giving up? Those are luxury units with a big price tag. The purpose of the tax holiday is to encourage saving and rehabbing heritage buildings that might otherwise be in danger of being lost. I don't know if that's the case here. 

The tax abatement only applies to the 22 units in the heritage building. The loss of tax funds is smaller than the investment being made in seismic upgrades. The go forward tax rate after ten years will be based on the new value generated through the capital investments, resulting in increased long term tax revenue.

This is exactly how the program is designed to work in both the spirit and the letter of the rules. It seems to me that the real story here should be that there are two city councilors who are more interested in playing class warfare politics than in applying established rules in an equitable manner.

• Mike K., Rob Randall, LJ and 3 others like this

#394 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:06 PM

Those two councillors always do that.
  • Bob Fugger likes this

#395 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:28 PM

...It seems to me that the real story here should be that there are two city councilors who are more interested in playing class warfare politics than in applying established rules in an equitable manner.

Those two councillors always do that.

I would imagine they also voted against the rental project in Fairfield, so they aren't even consistent in their class warfare politics.

#396 DavidSchell

DavidSchell
  • 687 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 09:10 PM

Typically the two people who do more damage to affordable housing than any other force on nature ... so short sighted and blinded by extreme left wing thinking.

I just don't have the energy these days to type out how stupid thinking these people are, but would love to sit down with a cup of coffee with them and spell it out in grade 2 economics.

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#397 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 10:50 PM

How would you respond to criticism that the developer would have done this seismic upgrade regardless, therefore no incentive is necessary?

#398 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 23 February 2018 - 11:09 PM

I guess we don't know. What we can guess is that is that without the tax holiday, two things could have occurred: the project would not have gone ahead or it would have gone ahead at a higher cost to buyers which has a knock on effect on other properties downtown. So I would rather these places be cheaper and not increase the overall prices downtown.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#399 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 07:56 AM

How would you respond to criticism that the developer would have done this seismic upgrade regardless, therefore no incentive is necessary?

We can never know that. But what we can ask of our politicians is some consistency in applying the programs.

#400 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 09:49 AM

I suspect that in a environment completely free of heritage regulation, the developer would have actually removed the heritage building and started fresh and had a much more profitable project. We have decided we as a city would like to retain heritage buildings. We are asking developers to spend their capital to perform required seismic upgrades on these buildings. We are offsetting some of that cost with a tax abatement that in the long run actually increases tax revenue for the city.

This seems like a pragmatic and proven approach. It feels to me like we are questioning it in this case solely because the units in this building are likely to be bought by affluent people. That is just wrong in my opinion.

• sebberry, Bob Fugger, jonny and 2 others like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users