North downtown /= uptown

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,548 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 10:24 AM

Anyone else feel a little perturbed by this recent string of monikers for the northern areas of our current downtown boundary? Everything from north town, to north end, to uptown, to new town et al, has been quoted in the media, thrown around by developers and more or less concocted to market an area of downtown that is really nothing more than, well, an area of downtown.

I mean if we were to call it anything but "north downtown" we would disqualify the real northern boundary of north Victoria which is Tolmie Avenue north of Mayfair Mall. If we were to call it "uptown," what would distinguish uptown from "downtown?" Uptowns generally take shape several kilometers away from a concentrated downtown core and not right in the thick of it.

So, long story short, should VV adopt a name for north downtown and stick to it, whatever we decide it should be?

[/rant]

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 10:36 AM

CharlesGurdVille
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#3 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,548 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 10:56 AM

Not enough desert around there for Charles, I'm afraid :(

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:19 AM

Finally a naming contest!!!!

Alright so here is my list. It is a compilation of all the ones I have heard or that I have come up with on my own.

So we could follow the New York Model of naming areas after shortened names of streets like Soho = South of Houston Street. In this genre there is:

SoBa - (so-bah) South of Bay

NoCa - (like mocha) North of Caledonia

NotCh - (like a notch in the belt) North of Chatham - Either Holden or Glavanized.

NoFi - (like high-fi) North of Fisgard - I believe this was a Baro creation.

SoHi - ( either like "Dude I am sooo High" or so he.

RecSoBa - Rectangle south of Bay

THis list could go on. The only problem I have with most of them is that they don't bring out the essence of this area. SoBa and NoFi are my favs though.

Then there is the idea of naming the area after a landmark (now or past) full street name or building. In this genre I can think of

South Gorge

Rock Bay

Chatham - Tourism Victoria would love it!

Hudson

Pembroke

Barclay Point - from this map http://www.bcarchives.gov.bc.ca/cartogr/img_html/dir_1/cm_a215.htm

Fisguard - old name for Fisgard street.

Centennial - After Centennial Square

Iron Church - after the structure that used to be where the Bay building is.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#5 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,548 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:25 AM

Iron Church sounds awesome...like an old hood in a rust belt city or something to that effect.

Chatham is cool, too!

I wonder if VV could start dialogue over at City Hall/Burnside-Gorge Association to actually have this area officially dubbed?

Know it all.

#6 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 11:30 AM

That might not be a bad idea. Just as long as North Town and Uptown are not on the list.

The person to talk to would be Councillor Fortin. I believe he is involved with the Burnside Gorge people and well, city hall. Might also want to talk to Rob Randall of the Downtown Residents Association the DVBA also might be a good idea to pull Wessex and Townline into it so that you have someone to spend money. Another potential ally could be the Asfars as he is a major property owner in the area.

It has a whole new look!

#7 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 12:16 PM

Just to add some context to this do we have boundaries in mind?

In my mind it would sort of be:

Bay or Hillside to the North
Government to the West
Blanshard to the East
Fisgard to the South

any dissention?

Other downtown neighbourhoods include:

Downtown, Old Town, Chinatown, Legislative Precinct, Humboldt Valley, Harris Green, Design District, Cathedral Hill (questionable), any others??

It has a whole new look!

#8 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,548 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 12:47 PM

I generally agree with that boundary. Perhaps the harbour should be the western border?

Btw, what exactly are the borders of the design district? If its the area north of Chinatown that I'm thinking off then perhaps it could become a part of the north downtown district?

Good call on Dean et al. Definitely the sorts of individuals that would need to show support and cooperate with this.

Know it all.

#9 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 12:53 PM

The problem is the area is officially known as Rock Bay, but that name doesn't capture the flavour of the area east of Government Street (EGo?)

I think the City has divided Old Town into the following districts:

-Old Commercial District
-Chinatown
-Waterfront

pdf map: http://www.victoria.... ... _guide.pdf

The "Design District" is an informal term given to the area of Herald Street between Store and Government because it has a gallery and a few studios.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#10 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 01:24 PM

Yes Design district is informal but it is a name that has been around for a few years and seems to be sticking.

God I hate that document though Sorry it almost needs its own thread it is sooooo painful! They could not have chosen worse examples of good architecture.

Anyways... "design" I think refers more to Home design as there are many home decor places in the design district area.

Personally I don't think the North End of Downtown should be considered part of Rock Bay, in my mind that is the area West Of Government and North of the Design district :)

It has a whole new look!

#11 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 01:47 PM

Design District is something thats been around a while since pre-revitalisation and yeah sticking a bit. However the merchants in that area call it the Historic Chinatown District and have an association named such. I favor northern edge of downtown, or north downtown myself because it doesnt base it on what it was historically or what it may become. Just is what it is.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.
Oscar Wilde (1854 - 1900), The Picture of Dorian Gray, 1891

#12 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 01:58 PM

Point Ellice?
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#13 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 02:20 PM

I think Point Ellice is too far away. But perhaps we can rename that area too :)

Caramia, A lot of the businesses especially on herald street and government north of herald actually refer to it as the Design District. They even have a newpaper ad or at least used to that referred to it that included all the businesses.

My only problem with North Downtown is what happens with the name once the downtown marches farther north? North North Downtown? I think by labeling this area as such we set up ourselves to look silly many years from now.

Still it is better than Uptown, which is as insane a name as is possible for an area 1 block from City Hall.

It has a whole new look!

#14 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 02:56 PM

how about DOWNTOWN NORTH. The MLS refers to down town as south of princess Ave. and west of Quadra in this area. Or perhaps call it the Discovery District.

#15 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 03:13 PM

Aye, that seemed to be the way it was heading. In fact, when I did my thesis, which was on that area, I included a chapter about the way that the name "the Design District" evolved... from the first usage, to the first print usage, to adoption in civic documents. However, when I started working in the area our business was part of the Historic Chinatown District Association. I learned that the merchants had a discussion about the name Design District and decided that they prefered Historic Chinatown District as a reflection of the district's historic origins.
Nowadays most people die of a sort of creeping common sense, and discover when it is too late that the only things one never regrets are one's mistakes.

#16 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 03:18 PM

Historic Chinatown seems redundant. Unless there's a non-historic Chinatown somewhere (nothing to see here; move along).

We could do like Manhattan and have Downtown, Mid-town and Uptown.

The Zoning Department calls part of it the "Douglas-Blanshard Industrial District".

#17 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 03:23 PM

As opposed to current chinatown that is quite small.

#18 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 03:28 PM

But would not Midtown be more like Hillside Douglas area. Like I said before this area starts one block from City Hall which I have always considered downtown.

It has a whole new look!

#19 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 06:15 PM

I say the new uptown should be Colwood when all the towers are built up and they acheive their high density pocket out there!!! :-D

#20 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 28 December 2006 - 06:21 PM

As opposed to current chinatown that is quite small.

You mean because that area used to be Chinatown but now isn't you refer to it as Historic Chinatown?

It has a whole new look!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users