* * * * * 3 votes

Marijuana/cannabis businesses/dispensaries in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
5815 replies to this topic

#3961 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:03 AM

I'm shocked to discover that the police need budget increases every year to deal with potential crime (yet seem to have trouble dealing with actual crime), no matter what happens or what laws are passed.  And some how we're safer and crime is reduced, except for that period around the requests for budget increases, when somehow we're all in danger.

Why it's almost enough to drive someone to cynicism.

Every year, this is like the 4th request so far THIS YEAR.

#3962 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:15 AM

Housing the perennially homeless and hard-to-house was supposed to have saved us $60,000 per year per person, with lots of that being policing costs. We've saved about $2 million in just one year.

Right?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3963 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:25 AM

Housing the perennially homeless and hard-to-house was supposed to have saved us $60,000 per year per person, with lots of that being policing costs. We've saved about $2 million in just one year.

Right?

Math is off my friend. 500 people housed, $60K a year saves us $30M a year.

#3964 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:30 AM

Is it 500 people now, in total?

And yes! By golly you're right, I missed a zero there.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3965 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 01 November 2017 - 08:02 PM

So I guess they will be slashing the police budget then.

• VicHockeyFan likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3966 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 08:34 AM

Capture.JPG

I believe the rezoning and heritage designation bylaws were adopted by Council in September. Council spoke very highly of this application, and there was lots of support from neighbours, the landlord, and the Farmacy members. Helps even called it a "model application," because of how closely they stuck to the City process...

A model for how to be an illegal business sanctioned by a city with a personal bias against existing federal laws.

Edited by Nparker, 03 November 2017 - 08:37 AM.

• Daveyboy likes this

#3967 aastra

aastra
  • 20,650 posts

Posted 03 November 2017 - 09:21 AM

Remember when Victorians used to freak out about the possibility of "yet another" coffee shop or "yet another" Starbucks? A big chain in a high-profile location = shame, shame, shame?

• Nparker likes this

#3968 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 04:20 PM

I'm a little surprised we do not have more stores catering to home-grown supplies.

Will existing garden shops and departments carry products and seeds come July 1?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3969 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 04:32 PM

I'm a little surprised we do not have more stores catering to home-grown supplies...

Currently, other than for medicinal use the sale of such supplies would be illegal and more importantly, I would imagine the dispensaries want to maintain their monopoly for as long as they can.

#3970 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 04:35 PM

Currently, other than for medicinal use the sale of such supplies would be illegal and more importantly, I would imagine the dispensaries want to maintain their monopoly for as long as they can.

I think non-organic supplies (soil, lamps, potting containers) can be sold, but maybe we do have laws saying we can not promote them for drug-growing use, dunno.

Do the US states where it is legal allow home growing?

I don't use the stuff, never have.  So I do not know, is our allowable personal growing enough to feed a steady habit?

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 10 November 2017 - 04:38 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3971 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 04:37 PM

I think non-organic supplies (soil, lamps, potting containers) can be sold, but maybe we do have laws saying we can not promote them for drug-growing use, dunno.

I was thinking more about seeds...

#3972 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 04:55 PM

I'm a little surprised we do not have more stores catering to home-grown supplies.

Will existing garden shops and departments carry products and seeds come July 1?

Timing! Certainly garden centers are missing the mark by not providing direct cannabis catering but they are certainly still getting a large portion of the business and we do have Mr Fertilizer Hydroponics, Progressive Growth Garden & Hydroponic Supply(..i think just for tomatoes...) and of course the amazon.

Currently if you have a personal health canada growing license you can order seeds and plants from licensed commercial producers:

https://www.tweedmai...grow-collection

http://thcbiomed.com/products/

https://www.cannafarms.ca/plants/

Edited by todd, 10 November 2017 - 04:56 PM.

#3973 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 05:25 PM

Is it 500 people now, in total?
And yes! By golly you're right, I missed a zero there.

A zero here and a zero there and pretty soon you're talking about real money.

#3974 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 06:55 PM

A zero here and a zero there and pretty soon you're talking about real money.

Finally back on topic:

downloadxczv.png

https://finance.goog...ance?q=TSE:WEED

#3975 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 12 November 2017 - 02:31 PM

So the feds have announced a minimum 10% excise tax on pot (ie 10% or $1 / g whichever is more) plus PST/GST/HST. That would make the tax at least 22% in BC. Low enough to keep the black market and first nations out of the mix? G&M estimating that the average price will be about $12 / g tax included.

• Nparker likes this

#3976 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:23 AM

What's the logistics of growing marijuana on an industrial scale outdoors?   Surely that makes more sense than indoor grow-ops.

Also, why are all the provinces working alone on regulations?  Why can't we get along, and just have a Western Canada solution (I don't expect us to agree with Ontario or Quebec)?  We are going to go through the same BS about inter-provincial trade barriers that most governments say are a bad idea.  But here we go again.

• Daveyboy likes this

#3977 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 11:59 AM

Found this interesting look at Alberta vs British Columbia:

https://www.canada.ca/en/health-canada/services/drugs-health-products/medical-use-marijuana/licensed-producers/market-data.html

Access to Cannabis for Medical Purposes Health Canada clients

Total number of client registrations at end of: JUN 2017

Canada	                  201,398

Alberta                   74,013	 	 	 	 	 	 	 	 	 
British Columbia          8,103	 	 	 	 	 	 	 	 	 
Manitoba                  3,598	 	 	 	 	 	 	 	 	 
New Brunswick             5,748	 	 	 	 	 	 	 	 	 
Newfoundland and Labrador 2,162	 	 	 	 	 	 	 	 	 
Northwest Territories     125	 	 	 	 	 	 	 	 	 
Nova Scotia               8,737	 	 	 	 	 	 	 	 	 
Nunavut                	  46	 	 	 	 	 	 	 	 	 
Ontario   	          86,196	 	 	 	 	 	 	 	 	 
Prince Edward Island      831	 	 	 	 	 	 	 	 	 
Quebec	                  5,630	 	 	 	 	 	 	 	 	 
Saskatchewan              6,108	 	 	 	 	 	 	 	 	 
Yukon	                  101

https://www.canada.c...arket-data.html

Edited by todd, 13 November 2017 - 12:21 PM.

#3978 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:17 PM

The above stats tell me that Albertans do not really consume more pot than British Columbians, they are just doing so much more legally.

Edit: are the above figures from the future? (June 2018)

Edited by Nparker, 13 November 2017 - 12:18 PM.

• LJ and todd like this

#3979 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 12:34 PM

Edit: are the above figures from the future? (June 2018)

Enhanced time; but you're the editor.

#3980 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 01:24 PM

What's the logistics of growing marijuana on an industrial scale outdoors?   Surely that makes more sense than indoor grow-ops.

Also, why are all the provinces working alone on regulations?  Why can't we get along, and just have a Western Canada solution (I don't expect us to agree with Ontario or Quebec)?  We are going to go through the same BS about inter-provincial trade barriers that most governments say are a bad idea.  But here we go again.

Because there are billions of dollars at stake and everyone wants their own piece of the pie. Politicians need to have something lined up for when they decide to leave office!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users