Marijuana/cannabis businesses/dispensaries in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
5815 replies to this topic

#21 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:53 AM

Like I said, it isn't too hard. When I went, I'm pretty sure I was the only one there with any pain. Everyone else must have had eating problems or social anxiety but who cares?

A naturopath over Skype?

lol....

Not making any opinion on the medicinal qualities of weed, but a naturopath over Skype? Really??? I hope that's not the way the health care system is going. What about a chiropractor over Facetime? Can they make prescriptions that way too? Could my GP send me a Vine with his therapeutic recommendations?

#22 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 09:57 AM

I will add that I met my doctor over a Skype like product called Medio and he prescribed me sleeping pills that way...so yes, this is where the medical system is going. The sleeping pills sucked. They only worked for two days before they lost potency and ate away at my stomach. They are also addictive and dangerous. No one has ever killed themselves eating pot brownies...

Edited by dasmo, 05 May 2015 - 10:00 AM.

#23 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:03 AM

There are plenty of visits to the doctor where he/she does not need to physically see you. Those would save a ton of time if they could be done over a video chat.

Friggin legalize this **** already and tax it!

#24 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 10:09 AM

Enjoy it while it's not taxed. It's way more expensive here in the Netherlands. At least three times as much.

#25 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 11:18 AM

There are plenty of visits to the doctor where he/she does not need to physically see you. Those would save a ton of time if they could be done over a video chat.

Sure there are, but I don't think naturopaths should be handing out prescriptions over Skype to patients they have never met (in person).

• Nparker likes this

#26 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 11:32 AM

It's hardly a dangerous substance... Cigarettes and liquor are more harmful and you don't need to meet anyone to get those.

#27 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,032 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:38 PM

There's a good sized grow op on the #17 on Michell's farm, it's that big cinder block bunker by the highway surrounded by barbed wire.

Matt.

ETA: not actually on Michell property, but since the MJ is considered a farm crop this was permitted on ALR land with all the tax allowances that go with ...

Edited by Matt R., 05 May 2015 - 06:40 PM.

• Dr. Barillas likes this

#28 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:40 PM

There's a good sized grow op on the #17 on Michell's farm, it's that big cinder block bunker by the highway surrounded by barbed wire.

Matt.

Still not shipping any product thoug. Still in approval process.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#29 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,032 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:42 PM

Still not shipping any product thoug. Still in approval process.

Seriously?  It' s been a few years. 

Matt.

#30 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 May 2015 - 06:44 PM

Seriously? It' s been a few years.

Matt.

Ya big TC article this last weekend. $1.3M investment. No return yet.
  • Matt R. likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#31 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:03 PM

So Victoria has 18 businesses.  Does Saanich, Oak Bay, or anywhere else have them?

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 06:19 AM

Here's the document they will be debating today:

https://victoria.civ... Businesses.PDF

#33 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 04:11 PM

So Victoria has 18 businesses.  Does Saanich, Oak Bay, or anywhere else have them?

Saanich and Oak Bay are law-abiding and will send some of their thugs around if you don't have a "valid business license".

A report going to council on Thursday says the number of marijuana-related shops in B.C.'s capital has jumped

from four to 18 in the past year, and the majority are operating without a valid business license.

#34 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,734 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 05:54 PM

So can anyone open a business without a license and the city of Victoria will simply look the other way? If so I hope a lot more businesses take this route. It only seems fair.

#35 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 07:18 AM

I think the BC Doctors are right to try to shut down the practice, by some doctors, of willy nilly writing of prescriptions for marijuana. It stands to reason that an MD should be familiar with a individual, and his or her ailments, before making a decision that cannabis is in fact the best treatment available for it.

Doctors don't ... or at least they shouldn't...write prescriptions for valium, or any other drug, just because the patient wants it. And when that prescription is written, and filled, there is a process is place that at least tries to monitor and regulate the rate at which the patient consumes the drug. It is understood that dosages should be correct. Too much can be dangerous. This is a generally accepted approach to the dispensing of medicine.

And the same rules need to be applied to the dispensing of cannabis...if advocates of its use as "medicine" expect to be taken seriously. The unfortunate truth is that a lot of marijuana advocates are unwilling to live with any regulation at all. They attempt to use the words "cannabis" and "medicine" interchangeably, as a convenience, in the furtherance of the political cause of dismantling laws against getting stoned. It is sad that the extreme minority who actually need marijuana as "medicine" because there actually is no better alternative, are being used as pawns in what is in fact a much larger and much different debate. This is Frank Stanford -----

http://www.cfax1070....nt-Fri-May-8-15

At least voters in Washington and Colorado are not silly enough to think that everyone is using it as medicine.

• Nparker likes this

#36 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 07:34 AM

Let's face it, who doesn't know someone with a medicinal marijuana card who doesn't actually need it for medicinal purposes? It's a running joke among pot smokers that they should just apply for a card and not have to see their dealer any more.

I can see why the Docs & Surgeons are starting to get uncomfortable. Despite what advocates will tell us, smoking a lot of pot can affect people's health. Some more physically than others, some more mentally than others, but it does affect you if you smoke/consume it in higher quantities. The problem is that unless the industry is regulated we just don't know what people are consuming in those pot cookies or in the weed they smoke.

See, my contention is, if a restaurant or bakery is held to strict VIHA food preparation standards, why should society just allow pot dispensaries to sell who-knows-what in edible form without proper inspections and assurances those items are prepared according to what our society has deemed important food regulations and safety standards? It's ok because it's weed? Who in their right mind would go into a cafe that isn't held to any food prep standard whatsoever?

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#37 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 07:42 AM

See, my contention is, if a restaurant or bakery is held to strict VIHA food preparation standards, why should society just allow pot dispensaries to sell who-knows-what in edible form without proper inspections and assurances those items are prepared according to what our society has deemed important food regulations and safety standards? It's ok because it's weed? Who in their right mind would go into a cafe that isn't held to any food prep standard whatsoever?

VIHA doesn't regulate food ingredients, or preparation methods really, except temperatures for cooking and cooling, and storage of pre-cooked items.  The feds regulate packaged foods.  But there are no laws to stop you from growing your own lettuce at home, then using it in your restaurant's salads. 

• Spurtz likes this

#38 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,538 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 09:07 AM

Yes they do, they come in and ensure the preparation process is according to specific standards. At least one individual is required to have a Food Safe certificate, food preparation areas must be up to certain standards, food storage has specific requirements, cleaning has standards, all sorts of stuff.

A pot dispensary suddenly appearing on your street with pot cookies and other edibles may not be held to any standard whatsoever if the business is operating without a license and is not on VIHA's radar.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#39 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 09:16 AM

I'm more worried about a McDonalds appearing on my street....
Sugar, Cigarettes, and Alchahol do way more damage to the health of our society than pot does...

Edited by dasmo, 10 May 2015 - 09:43 AM.

#40 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,734 posts

Posted 10 May 2015 - 10:03 AM

...Sugar, Cigarettes, and Alchahol [sp] do way more damage to the health of our society than pot does...

All of which have some sort of regulation attached to them.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users