* * * * * 3 votes

Marijuana/cannabis businesses/dispensaries in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
5815 replies to this topic

#3981 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:38 AM

This might end up being an interesting decision.

...The B.C. Pharmacists Association wants the province to crack down on the use of the word “dispensaries,” for non-medicinal pot shops. Only facilities with a pharmacist should be able to distribute medicinal marijuana, it said...

http://www.timescolo...roup-1.23092894

Edited by Nparker, 14 November 2017 - 08:39 AM.

• tedward likes this

#3982 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:40 AM

And then there's this

...LandlordBC said it is concerned about the consumption and growing of recreational marijuana in rental units. The organization says smoking marijuana should be banned wherever tobacco is banned and that landlords should have the power to ban it. Growing marijuana should be banned in multi-unit dwellings and rented dwellings of any size, it said. LandlordBC is concerned that growing recreational pot at home could create safety hazards because of electrical overloading and excess humidity, might bother other tenants with the strong smell and create potential liabilities for landlords.

http://www.timescolo...roup-1.23092894

#3983 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:49 AM

100%. My building has a strict zero tobacco and pot smoking policy.

Meanwhile City of Victoria councillors have expressed in the recent past their concerns over banning pot smoking in rental buildings as that could inconvenience those who use marijuana for medicinal purposes. But those who use marijuana for medicinal purposes can also orally consume the product, no? And surely folks can appreciate the fact that in this age where smoking is so curtailed that it shouldn't be a surprise that smoking marijuana in communal settings should also be taboo and frowned upon.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3984 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:55 AM

The CoV council wants the province to approve marijuana consumption "lounges". Presumably smoking would be allowed here. This doesn't seem to jive with the push to remove smoking from all public places and work environments. For instance, how would these "lounges" protect their employees from second hand pot smoke?

#3985 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 08:57 AM

WorkSafe will not allow it. There might be a workaround if it’s a cooperative and/or if there are no “employees” present in the smoking area.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3986 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:07 AM

The CoV council wants the province to approve marijuana consumption "lounges". Presumably smoking would be allowed here. This doesn't seem to jive with the push to remove smoking from all public places and work environments. For instance, how would these "lounges" protect their employees from second hand pot smoke?

This is what happens when simple minded Mayors and council members rush to implement policies without thinking them through. The amount of scrambling they are having to do to adjust to their own pot policy is completely unnecessary and most of what they are coming up with will be tossed next year anyways.

• Nparker likes this

#3987 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:09 AM

This is what happens when simple minded Mayors and council members rush to implement policies without thinking them through. The amount of scrambling they are having to do to adjust to their own pot policy is completely unnecessary and most of what they are coming up with will be tossed next year anyways.

Meanwhile, over in the largest municipality around here - Saanich - they have gone through none of this.  No staff time, no expense, no court injunctions and bylaw officer visits.

And I've yet to hear a Saanichite complain about their lack of access to marijuana.

This morning on CFAX we'll hear from the CEO of Leaf and Terp Lounge.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 14 November 2017 - 09:11 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#3988 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:19 AM

...And I've yet to hear a Saanichite complain about their lack of access to marijuana...

And why would they? There are plethora of them in the CoV.

#3989 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,011 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:34 AM

Meanwhile, over in the largest municipality around here - Saanich - they have gone through none of this. No staff time, no expense, no court injunctions and bylaw officer visits.

And I've yet to hear a Saanichite complain about their lack of access to marijuana.

This morning on CFAX we'll hear from the CEO of Leaf and Terp Lounge.

What time?

Matt

#3990 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:39 AM

What time?

Matt

NOW.

• Matt R. likes this

#3991 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 09:45 AM

I have a question for those in the know .
Can you feel the effects from second hand smoke if you were exposed
over a long period of time or high concentration.
If so how close do you have to be .
Does pot have an effect any other prescriptions prescribed that you know of .

#3992 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:10 AM

Second hand smoke from weed doesn't seem to have much effect. I suppose if you are in a small space with little to no ventilation, and pot was being smoked, you might get high. Otherwise there shouldn't be a concern. I haven't heard of marijuana conflicting with other prescribed medications, but you could check with your doctor.

• tedward likes this
Don't be so sure.:cool:

#3993 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:25 AM

Second hand smoke from weed doesn't seem to have much effect. I suppose if you are in a small space with little to no ventilation, and pot was being smoked, you might get high. Otherwise there shouldn't be a concern. I haven't heard of marijuana conflicting with other prescribed medications, but you could check with your doctor.

Bottom line is that there are very few, if any, studies to validate the effects of second hand pot smoke since pot is illegal and researchers can't research it.

Nobody thought that second hand cigarette smoke was harmful until years after the fact.

• Nparker likes this

#3994 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:25 AM

Absolutely it has an effect. If you breath in marijuana smoke, it'll affect you, especially in an enclosed space.

That's where the term hotboxing comes from. The point is to fill up a room full of marijuana smoke and breath in already exhaled smoke.

• Matt R. and todd like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3995 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:28 AM

I think Ltr is asking more about long-term effects.

#3996 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 10:56 AM

I think Ltr is asking more about long-term effects.

I think the CoV election results are all the evidence needed to prove the harmful effects of long-term exposure to pot smoke.

• todd likes this

#3997 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:34 AM

Absolutely it has an effect. If you breath in marijuana smoke, it'll affect you, especially in an enclosed space.

That's where the term hotboxing comes from. The point is to fill up a room full of marijuana smoke and breath in already exhaled smoke.

That excuse didn't work on the last VV drug test it's not going to work here.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#3998 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:42 AM

WorkSafe will not allow it. There might be a workaround if it’s a cooperative and/or if there are no “employees” present in the smoking area.

If they are informed of the potential effects want to work in a marijuana lounge isn't it harming nobody but themselves?

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#3999 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:48 AM

If they are informed of the potential effects want to work in a marijuana lounge isn't it harming nobody but themselves?

It is only harm to themselves, but many tried that argument with the restaurant/bar tobacco smoking ban and the employees that voluntarily worked there, it did not work.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 14 November 2017 - 11:49 AM.

• Nparker likes this

#4000 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:55 AM

It is only harm to themselves, but many tried that argument with the restaurant/bar tobacco smoking ban and the employees that voluntarily worked there, it did not work.

So I guess the argument is the work should be available to everybody regardless of their ideology?

• Nparker likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users