Marijuana/cannabis businesses/dispensaries in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
5815 replies to this topic

#4001 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 11:59 AM

So I guess the argument is the work should be available to everybody regardless of their ideology?

If I run a real shoddy coal mine, with all kinds of hazards, but I inform you of them all before you start work, and every day at work, can I run my coal mine that way?

Same thing with smoke, be it marijuana or tobacco.  

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4002 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:03 PM

Once the real experts get in on manufacturing, can't they make a strain that does not stink so much, growing it, or smoking it?

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4003 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:06 PM

If I run a real shoddy coal mine, with all kinds of hazards, but I inform you of them all before you start work, and every day at work, can I run my coal mine that way?

Same thing with smoke, be it marijuana or tobacco.  

Yes but with one of these: https://www.amazon.c...s,k:3m gas mask

#4004 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:23 PM

Marijuana lounges might be allowable if all employees have breathing tanks like firefighters I suppose.

#4005 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:39 PM

The harmful effects of tobacco are largely attributed to the hundreds of chemicals added to the product to ensure it burns at the right speed, to ensure it doesn't attract pests while growing, so it keeps longer once rolled into a cigarette, etc.

Once marijuana is produced on a larger scale those chemicals will enter the production chain. Just you watch. Already pot is loaded with chemicals from the fertilizers used by growers, but that's small potatoes to what will happen once industry takes over and moves to ensure their products are equal in every way from coast to coast.

• VicHockeyFan and Nostalgic Victoria like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4006 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:42 PM

Marijuana lounges might be allowable if all employees have breathing tanks like firefighters I suppose.

For example BC ferry workers just use filter masks for carbon monoxide. How big are marijuana particles?

#4007 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:57 PM

Once the real experts get in on manufacturing, can't they make a strain that does not stink so much, growing it, or smoking it?

How successful has that been for tobacco? If Camel had come up with a strain that doesn't smell when smoking it (or afterwards), smoking likely wouldn't have been banned so quickly in public places.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#4008 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:02 PM

The harmful effects of tobacco are largely attributed to the hundreds of chemicals added to the product to ensure it burns at the right speed, to ensure it doesn't attract pests while growing, so it keeps longer once rolled into a cigarette, etc.

Once marijuana is produced on a larger scale those chemicals will enter the production chain. Just you watch. Already pot is loaded with chemicals from the fertilizers used by growers, but that's small potatoes to what will happen once industry takes over and moves to ensure their products are equal in every way from coast to coast.

Luckily we're more aware today why it might not be a good idea to use certain substances, but maybe trust nothing luckily you will be able to grow four of your own.

• As per section 18 of the ACMPR, licenced producers are not permitted to use additives in the production of fresh or dried marijuana, or marijuana plants or seeds intended for sale. “An additive means anything other than marihuana but does not include any residue of a pest control product or its components or derivatives unless the amount of the residue exceeds any maximum residue limit specified for the product, component or derivative under section 9 or 10 of the Pest Control Products Act.”  
    • Licenced producers must also adhere to section 66 of the ACMPR which states that “fresh or dried marihuana or marihuana plants or seeds must not be treated with a pest control product unless the product is registered for use on marihuana under the Pest Control Products Act or is otherwise authorized for use under that Act”.
  • As such, licensed producers must ensure that no other products, other than the 16 approved pest control products, are applied to fresh or dried marijuana, marijuana plants or seeds, as part of their production practices. Licensed producers are advised that the use of any “foliar spray” containing, but not limited to, fertilizers, nutrients, or wetting agents applied on fresh or dried marijuana, marijuana plants or seeds is prohibited, as is any other product containing an unauthorized pest control ingredient.

Licensed producers are required to have adequate controls within their facility to ensure that unauthorized pest control products are not used. These controls may include, but are not limited to, restricting access to pest control products, monitoring the application of products to fresh or dried marijuana, marijuana plants or seeds, or testing for unauthorized pesticide use. Licensed producers are encouraged to review and implement an integrated pest management program as part of their Good Production Practices.

•  

In response to recent events, Health Canada will begin conducting random testing of cannabis products produced by licensed producers to provide added assurance to Canadians that they are receiving safe, quality-controlled product. Health Canada will test these products to ensure that only registered pest control products are used during the production of cannabis for medical purposes.

Registered Pesticides

The Pest Management Regulatory Agency (PMRA) maintains a database repository of registered pesticides that are approved for use on marijuana.

As of March 20, 2017, there are 16 registered pesticides approved by PMRA for use on cannabis(marijuana) that is produced commercially indoors. They are:

• Actinovate SP
    • Agrotek Ascend Vaporized Sulphur
    • Bio-Ceres G WP
    • Bioprotec Caf
    • Bioprotec Plus
    • Botanigard 22 WP
    • Botanigard ES
    • Influence LC
    • Kopa Insecticidal Soap
    • MilStop Foliar Fungicide
    • Neudosan Commercial
    • Opal Insecticidal Soap
    • Rootshield® WP Biological Fungicide
    • Rootshield HC Biological Fungicide Wettable Powder
    • Sirocco
    • Vegol Crop Oil

http://www.hc-sc.gc....ticides-eng.php

• Dr. Barillas likes this

#4009 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:07 PM

Have the feds declared who will be permitted to produce recreational marijuana? I have not been keeping up.

#4010 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:16 PM

Todd, that’s because to-date all marijuana produced legally has been for “medicinal” purposes, meaning there are strict guidelines on how it must be grown. Once the veil of medicinal use is pulled back manufacturers won’t be under such scrutiny.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4011 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:27 PM

Todd, that’s because to-date all marijuana produced legally has been for “medicinal” purposes, meaning there are strict guidelines on how it must be grown. Once the veil of medicinal use is pulled back manufacturers won’t be under such scrutiny.

I have a hard time believing they won't just carry over the same production practice regulations? We will find out soon. What you're saying is a conspiracy at this point?

I'm not arguing if the chemicals health canada has approved are healthy for you(now up to 20 as of September 13, 2017)

#4012 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 03:37 PM

How do you know the liquor you buy is safe? Or the meat?
There are licensed producers subject to ongoing inspection which is why most of us feel safe when buying booze from legal producers rather than from the still in Billy Bob's barn. The product is clearly labelled as to origin, strength, contents etc.
Same reason I don't buy steaks off the back of a truck.
Like booze and meat, weed is a commodity and its production can be licensed, regulated and inspected.
Sell the medicinal/edible products via pharmacies who have the training and experience in handling controlled substances.
  • Nparker, LJ and Midnightly like this

#4013 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 06:14 PM

As always will need some whipcracking at the politicians to keep things in check.

#4014 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 15 November 2017 - 11:57 AM

There really aren't many additives. A lot of the most harmful substances in tobacco smoke (fromaldehyde, hydrogen cyanide, tar, arsenic, cadmium) are what is produced by buring the tobacco plant.

Just don't light stuff on fire and breath in the fumes/smoke.

Edit: I shouldn't say there aren't many. There a quite a few. I'm trying to emphasize most of the damage comes from the plant, not the additives.

Edited by Mattjvd, 15 November 2017 - 12:06 PM.

#4015 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,759 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 09:30 AM

A couple of common sense letters in today's TC

Pot lounges proposal an absurd idea

City council overlooks drawbacks of pot

• Nostalgic Victoria likes this

#4016 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 November 2017 - 10:44 PM

Just months before marijuana is set to  be legalized across the country, a newly released advent calendar with a marijuana twist is raising eyebrows in Vancouver.  

Meanwhile, officials are reminding people that selling and consuming cannabis is not a grey area — it's still illegal.

Coast to Coast Medicinals, an unlicensed marijuana dispensary, is selling calendars, via mail order, filled with cannabis products that can be either smoked or eaten.

Demand for the calendars has taken off faster than they can keep up with, said owner Lorilee Fedler.

"Right now, we're actually on hold because last night we got about 500 requests," she said. "We have a waiting list."

The calendars will be shipped to buyers through Canada Post.

They try to make sure buyers are over 19 and request a piece of ID over email, Fedler told CBC B.C. Almanac host Gloria Macarenko.

She admitted there is no way to verify whether the buyer matches the ID sent online. Despite that and the fact her business is unlicensed, Fedler said she is not concerned about the legality of selling the calendars.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...4408373?cmp=rss

:banana:

#4017 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,043 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 12:13 AM

I listened to this today, normally Macarenko is extremely well spoken and thoughtful, but she seemed dumbfounded at some points during the interview.

I don’t understand it. Apparently the police are too busy to bother busting these illegal dealers, but what do you think happens if I let my liquor license expire or serve and underage person who emailed in their Id? Cops aren’t too busy for that!

Matt.
  • Mike K., VicHockeyFan, Rob Randall and 3 others like this

#4018 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 10:06 AM

I listened to this today, normally Macarenko is extremely well spoken and thoughtful, but she seemed dumbfounded at some points during the interview.

I don’t understand it. Apparently the police are too busy to bother busting these illegal dealers, but what do you think happens if I let my liquor license expire or serve and underage person who emailed in their Id? Cops aren’t too busy for that!

Matt.

Well given the number of cops who seem to be retiring into pot related careers then perhaps they are not in a rush to upset their future employers and business partners!

• Matt R. likes this

#4019 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 18 November 2017 - 04:59 PM

Just months before marijuana is set to  be legalized across the country, a newly released advent calendar with a marijuana twist is raising eyebrows in Vancouver.  

Meanwhile, officials are reminding people that selling and consuming cannabis is not a grey area — it's still illegal.

http://www.cbc.ca/ne...4408373?cmp=rss

:banana:

Yes during my last random safety inspection the officer tipped me off about the calendar while he was checking my friends tweed prescription.

#4020 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 November 2017 - 07:32 PM

Straight from the "why bother" file...

RCMP bust BC pot grow-op and proclaim: 'we've prevented a large quantity of drugs from reaching the streets of our community'

MORE:

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users