* * * * * 3 votes

Marijuana/cannabis businesses/dispensaries in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
5815 replies to this topic

#4201 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 01:29 PM

It's funny how lenient things have gotten. It seemed like a year ago pot shops were advertising that they had doctors available with a video call so that you could get your "prescription" quickly. Subsequently, all you needed was a note listing your ailments. Now you don't need anything, not even an explanation. You just walk in and ask for it.

Just like little kids, pushing the envelop to see what they can get away with. Only problem is that there are no 'parents' at City Hall.

• Nparker and Love the rock like this

#4202 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 02:15 PM

You need a membership and ID. In California there is a bustling business with doctors issuing prescriptions. Takes five minutes from the parking lot. This is why legalizing it is the best approach. Remove all the BS and get on to more important things....

#4203 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 02:39 PM

You need a membership and ID....

So no doctor's prescription is needed? Mostly a pretence that it's medicinal then isn't it?

#4204 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 02:55 PM

So no doctor's prescription is needed? Mostly a pretence that it's medicinal then isn't it?

That's how you get the doctor's prescription. Sign up, fill in form, get an email with your prescription. It's total pretence. That doctor that get's $20 every ten seconds certainly doesn't want it legalized! but it's coming. 

"By a margin of about 56% to 44%, voters passed Proposition 64, making California the fifth state to legalize recreational pot, after Colorado, Washington, Oregon and Alaska. ... The vote happened 20 years after California became the first state to legalize medical marijuana in 1996".

Just because it has recreational uses doesn't negate it's medical uses. Certainly better weed than opiods.... Which apparently also has recreational uses. 

"Every day, more than 90 Americans die after overdosing on opioids" "In the late 1990s, pharmaceutical companies reassured the medical community that patients would not become addicted to prescription opioid pain relievers, and healthcare providers began to prescribe them at greater rates." 

Just the basic use as a pain relief / sleep aid MJ is a huge social benefit. Medical industry doesn't like this since it's a big industry for them and they cant / don't control MJ... 

• weirdie likes this

#4205 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 03:31 PM

...Just because it has recreational uses doesn't negate it's medical uses...

I'll keep that in mind the next time I imbibe more than a glass or two of vino. 

#4206 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 03:52 PM

I'll keep that in mind the next time I imbibe more than a glass or two of vino. 

And aren't you glad you don't have to hang out with pitbulls and prostitutes to get it? (Never you mind VHF)

"Note: The health benefits come from moderate wine consumption, defined by the American Heart Association as one to two four-ounce glasses a day. The Evidence: Wine drinkers have a 34 percent lower mortality rate than beer or spirits drinkers." 

#4207 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 03:54 PM

...The health benefits come from moderate wine consumption, defined by the American Heart Association as one to two four-ounce glasses a day... 

I have a LOT of catching up to do then.

• todd likes this

#4208 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 14 December 2017 - 06:59 PM

I have a LOT of catching up to do then.

One to two good for heart three to four liver for awhile five to six the devil awaits seven to eight ..

#4209 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 08:11 AM

Not sure if this has been mentioned or not: the Canna Mall On Quadra appears to be out of business.

Edited by Kapten Kapsell, 18 December 2017 - 08:12 AM.

#4210 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 December 2017 - 08:16 AM

Not sure if this has been mentioned or not: the Canna Mall On Quadra appears to be out of business.

Ya, Green Ceiling too.  Put out of business by the city, and word on the street is the building owner was being fined too.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 18 December 2017 - 08:16 AM.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4211 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 December 2017 - 08:09 PM

Any one have more info on this massive new pot operation in the works at Stanhope?

http://www.timescolo...nich-1.23127396

#4212 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 08:25 PM

Any one have more info on this massive new pot operation in the works at Stanhope?

http://www.timescolo...nich-1.23127396

A poor use of agricultural land. 

#4213 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 21 December 2017 - 11:50 PM

As the previous compost operator said, be careful what you wish for. It could have been a chicken or mushroom farm.

Someone commented that the Vantreight’s has grown pot before on one of their properties. Never heard of that. Wonder if it’s true?

Matt.

#4214 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 10:30 AM

There's also a temporary pot growing facility going in in the Vanalman area.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4215 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 10:58 AM

As the previous compost operator said, be careful what you wish for. It could have been a chicken or mushroom farm.

Someone commented that the Vantreight’s has grown pot before on one of their properties. Never heard of that. Wonder if it’s true?

Matt.

If it was a legal pot growing facility I doubt it. The requirements that Health Canada has put in place are very onerous and obvious. Hence the concrete bunker we have by the Pat Bay.

#4216 Dr. Barillas

Dr. Barillas
  • 174 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 11:12 AM

A poor use of agricultural land. 

I doubt there's a more profitable agricultural product currently. In that aspect it seems like the best use of the land.

The local cost of land and labour make competing with the import market on most agricultural products almost impossible.

• todd likes this

"Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died"

#4217 Dr. Barillas

Dr. Barillas
  • 174 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 11:14 AM

There's also a temporary pot growing facility going in in the Vanalman area.

Interesting. There's already a non temporary one in that area https://www.emerald.care/

"Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died"

#4218 manuel

manuel
  • 595 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 11:48 AM

Industrial scale greenhouses will be the future of most marijuana production.  Similar to other crops, pot grows very well under controlled circumstances, and the most efficient form of production will provide the bulk of the supply.  Other forms of production may provide boutique supply - organic, specific strains, etc.

Whether the Saanich facility makes sense is a different question - is it more efficient (based on power and light demand and low cost labour supply) to have a big production facility on the island or where most large vegetable greenhouses are now in BC - the lower mainland, between Delta and Abbotsford.  I would think the latter unless politics are involved.

Also, if anyone is interested, the BC government is hiring the senior level staff who would be needed to run a program similar to liquor distribution branch.

• Nparker likes this
"I know nothing"

#4219 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 22 December 2017 - 12:51 PM

The smell from a greenhouse pot operation is probably worse than a mushroom farm, and I'm speaking from experience here. There are several of these in operation already in BC This is not like an enclosed building that can really control the smell.

If the composting facility got shut down due to smell, what's going to happen to this one, which is very close to a lot of residences just across the highway?

And yes, greenhouses are a poor use of agricultural land in general as a greenhouse can be built just fine on poor soil too.
  • Nparker likes this

#4220 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 22 December 2017 - 12:54 PM

The majority of crops in the world (99.98%) are grown in open fields, why can't we just grow pot that way, say up near Ashcroft?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users