* * * * * 3 votes

Marijuana/cannabis businesses/dispensaries in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
5815 replies to this topic

#4341 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:38 AM

So we can get high in public but not drunk...that seems odd. 

• Nparker, lanforod and Star Dust like this

#4342 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:40 AM

Lot of violent crime, etc caused by marijuana?

#4343 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:43 AM

it does, doesn't it

The BC Government has had months, and months, and months to carefully think through how they will regulate marijuana when it becomes legal. And right out of the gate it's full of problems already.

You can't drink in a public place, you can't be impaired with alcohol in a public place.  But according to the new Pot regulations you can be stoned, high as a kite and impaired on marijuana in a public place no problem.

Edited by Star Dust, 06 February 2018 - 10:46 AM.

#4344 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:47 AM

I don't know the stats, but burning marijuana sure smells like ass. 

• Nparker and Star Dust like this

#4345 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:49 AM

I don't know the stats, but burning marijuana sure smells like ass. 

And your car?

#4346 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:50 AM

Oak Bay PD poured out my beers once because it is illegal to drink in public at the beach, but it will be legal to get stoned at the beach. That seems really dumb to me. 

• Star Dust likes this

#4347 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:50 AM

And your car?

Smells quite nice. Just detailed it on Saturday. 

• VicHockeyFan, Nparker and todd like this

#4348 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:54 AM

Oak Bay PD poured out my beers once because it is illegal to drink in public at the beach, but it will be legal to get stoned at the beach. That seems really dumb to me. 

They stomped on my bong "accidentally" as a teenager and they took pleasure in it.

.....However, smoking and vaping of non-medical marijuana will be banned in areas frequented by children, including community beaches, parks and playgrounds....... 

https://globalnews.c...ana-rules-2018/

Edited by todd, 06 February 2018 - 10:59 AM.

#4349 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:58 AM

Working for Oak Bay PD would turn one into quite a demented little dweeb, I imagine. When the most exciting police work you ever do is drunk driving road checks, are you really police? But, I digress...

#4350 UDeMan

UDeMan
  • 747 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 10:59 AM

As VHF suggests, I don't think many people are currently covered under extended health or PharmaCare plans for cannabis. Until such coverage is worked out it will depend a great deal on whether so-called medical users value price over convenience. My guess is that a significant number of the current users don't have legitimate prescriptions and at best went through the formality of getting assessed via a dispensary's "medical representatives" in order to purchase their product locally.

My work plan will accept it with pre-approval. Great West Life.  The prescription has to be filled through Health Canada.

#4351 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:08 AM

Working for Oak Bay PD would turn one into quite a demented little dweeb, I imagine. When the most exciting police work you ever do is drunk driving road checks, are you really police? But, I digress...

Think it's been a bit of a moving target ever since the human rights complaints.

Edited by todd, 06 February 2018 - 11:09 AM.

#4352 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,733 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 11:11 AM

My work plan will accept it with pre-approval. Great West Life.  The prescription has to be filled through Health Canada.

I imagine that will become more common.

#4353 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 12:15 PM

"Lot of violent crime, etc caused by marijuana?"

It's not about the behavior of the impairment, it's about "Impairment"

A perfect example is this:

-Someone impaired on alcohol in public could stumble into the street and get hit by a car based on how the drug interacts with motor skills and the ability to focus

-Someone impaired on Marijuana in public could also stumble into the street and get hit by a car based on how the drug interacts with motor skills and the ability to focus.

Because someone who is HIGH or STONED on Marijuana in a public place is less likely to behave violently or go into fits of anger or rage, does not take away from the fact that they are still Impaired, and with that impairment comes many of the same physical and mental side effects that comes with alcohol consumption.

This is why it's illegal to operate a motor vehicle while impaired by both Alcohol and or Marijuana.

• Nparker likes this

#4354 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 12:33 PM

Why? It seems like you want to be able to drink in public? (As you should)...

#4355 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 12:33 PM

-Someone impaired on alcohol in public could stumble into the street and get hit by a car based on how the drug interacts with motor skills and the ability to focus

-Someone impaired on Marijuana in public could also stumble into the street and get hit by a car based on how the drug interacts with motor skills and the ability to focus.

Because someone who is HIGH or STONED on Marijuana in a public place is less likely to behave violently or go into fits of anger or rage, does not take away from the fact that they are still Impaired, and with that impairment comes many of the same physical and mental side effects that comes with alcohol consumption.

This is why it's illegal to operate a motor vehicle while impaired by both Alcohol and or Marijuana.

How drunk do you need to be to be charged with being drunk in public?

Do you sleep in the pub?

Edited by todd, 06 February 2018 - 12:39 PM.

#4356 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 12:41 PM

It’s a stimulant not a depressant. No one is bumbling out in traffic after smoking some pot. I recommend all the against crew go out and try it so you don’t sound like your only knowledge on the subject comes from Reefer Madness....
  • Matt R. likes this

#4357 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 12:44 PM

Why? It seems like you want to be able to drink in public? (As you should)...

Obvious he didn't have it in the Tim Hortons cup.

#4358 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 12:46 PM

From the sounds of it, it'll be harder to smoke the stuff after legalization, than before.  What with the no smoking within X meters of a doorway, or in a workplace, etc. etc.

Maybe this is a new tactic in the War on Drugs - legalize the stuff, then proceed to demonize it like they did with tobacco and slowly relegate the potheads to the far corner of the parking lot, like they were when I was in high school.

• Nparker likes this

#4359 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 12:47 PM

If I'm reading things right, there will be no law against an end-user buying from whoever you want to.  Sellers are to be regulated.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4360 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 12:50 PM

From the sounds of it, it'll be harder to smoke the stuff after legalization, than before.  

It's currently illegal to possess, sell, grow or smoke it in 100% of this green map area:

BC.jpg

This summer it will be legal to possess, grow and smoke it in 99.9% of this green map area:

BC.jpg

And there will be no criminal penalties for any activity with it in limited quantities (under 30 grams) anywhere. 

So if you smoke it at Willows Beach, you will not be breaking any criminal law.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 06 February 2018 - 12:53 PM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users