Marijuana/cannabis businesses/dispensaries in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
5815 replies to this topic

#4361 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:01 PM

So we can get high in public but not drunk...that seems odd. 

Not necessarily. The interpretation of the law will be subject to debate, as the regulation makes no mention of drunkenness to my knowledge. Rather, it is against the law to be intoxicated in a public place, and there is no definition of intoxication. It is assumed that this obviously refers to alcohol, but now the courts will have to decide whether the effects of marijuana also qualify as intoxication. I say yes.

It is entirely possible to smoke or consume cannabis without becoming mind-numbingly high, just as it is possible to consume liquor without becoming black-out drunk. It's that grey area of "I only had one marijuana cigarette, officer," that will be tested in the courts soon enough.

And for the record, consumption of liquor in public shouldn't be illegal in my mind. Montreal seems to be doing OK with it.

• Nparker likes this

#4362 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:32 PM

It’s a stimulant not a depressant. No one is bumbling out in traffic after smoking some pot. I recommend all the against crew go out and try it so you don’t sound like your only knowledge on the subject comes from Reefer Madness....

Actually CBD & THC (the most active chemical ingredients in Marijuana)  are in themselves  medically classified as  "Depressants" do to the characteristics it delivers to the user such as muscle relaxation, tiredness, decreased alertness and sedation. In relation directly to Marijuana ,  Marijuana has also been medically and clinically proven to be able to worsen some mental illnesses, like anxiety, depression, short-term psychosis, suicidal thoughts and schizophrenia.

Keep in mind I am talking specifically about Marijuana and not alcohol or any other substance.

• Nparker likes this

#4363 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:49 PM

From the sounds of it, it'll be harder to smoke the stuff after legalization, than before. What with the no smoking within X meters of a doorway, or in a workplace, etc. etc.

Maybe this is a new tactic in the War on Drugs - legalize the stuff, then proceed to demonize it like they did with tobacco and slowly relegate the potheads to the far corner of the parking lot, like they were when I was in high school.

I used to always say the worst thing for a pot smoker is legalization....

#4364 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:51 PM

Actually CBD & THC (the most active chemical ingredients in Marijuana) are in themselves medically classified as "Depressants" do to the characteristics it delivers to the user such as muscle relaxation, tiredness, decreased alertness and sedation. In relation directly to Marijuana , Marijuana has also been medically and clinically proven to be able to worsen some mental illnesses, like anxiety, depression, short-term psychosis, suicidal thoughts and schizophrenia.

Keep in mind I am talking specifically about Marijuana and not alcohol or any other substance.

Have you ever tried it?

#4365 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 04:13 PM

I used to always say the worst thing for a pot smoker is legalization....

https://youtu.be/A42gGASPI58

#4366 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 05:29 PM

Have you ever tried it?

Yup, and I experienced relaxation, tiredness, decreased alertness and sedation. So much sedation as a matter of fact, I could never stay awake more then an hour after smoking it.

Of course a heavy or frequent user of it (as in daily or someone who smokes it a few times a week) will build up a tolerance so those effects are less and or not as powerful. But one thing is for sure, no matter how many years you smoke it, no matter how much you consume in a 24 hour period.......you will always be Impaired by it to some extent

#4367 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,492 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 06:33 PM

The benefits of now is you know what you are smoking. Different strains give different results. In the past you got what you got. Now if you want to be sedated you can choose that. If you want to be creative or chatty or whatever you can choose it from a menu. It’s a darn shame I can’t smoke the stuff....

But yes, I would not recommend smoking and operating heavy equipment but walking the streets is perfectly safe....

#4368 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:47 AM

TC ran an opinion piece on Helps' leadership on pot issues on their front page today. http://www.timescolo...ules-1.23195076

Although the TC credits the author with having a Phd from UVIC, they fail to mention that he is also the manager of Trees Dispensary.

Edited by spanky123, 12 March 2018 - 09:48 AM.

• Kungsberg likes this

#4369 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,753 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:55 AM

...Although the TC credits the author with having a Phd from UVIC, they fail to mention that he is also the manager of Trees Dispensary.

Yeah, that bit of information was conspicuous for its absence. 

#4370 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:10 AM

I think that the TC needs to be careful with these types of ads. This is typical of the corporate political issue based ads that I have been warning about.

Edited by spanky123, 12 March 2018 - 10:10 AM.

#4371 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:15 AM

No kidding.  Did theTC not ask that?

There was always risk involved in the city regulating dispensaries, including political backlash from more conservative Victorians who saw the move as abetting illegal enterprises. However, political developments at the federal and provincial levels have validated the early, but prudent, regulations from the city.

And Saanich will just bring in regulations and they never had to go through all the expense the City has.  That's the way this should have been done. 

• Nparker and spanky123 like this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4372 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,753 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 10:33 AM

...And Saanich will just bring in regulations and they never had to go through all the expense the City has.  That's the way this should have been done. 

That's the part that was distinctly missing from the Opinion piece; what effects did not allowing the proliferation of illegal business have on all other municipalities in the CRD?

#4373 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:23 PM

https://vancouverisl...toria-1.3839999

Officers found the man a short distance away after he allegedly tried to hide two large boxes of cannabis that were destined for a storefront dispensary.

The federal government is in the process of legalizing recreational cannabis but storefront dispensaries are still considered illegal, though some cities including Victoria have opted to licence such businesses.

The man faces possible charges related to trafficking, dangerous operation of a motor vehicle and flight from police.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4374 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,753 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 07:56 PM

If he'd just made it to the dispensary his illegal substance would no longer have been illegal in the eyes of the CoV police. It's almost like magic!

#4375 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 12 March 2018 - 09:33 PM

TC ran an opinion piece on Helps' leadership on pot issues on their front page today. http://www.timescolo...ules-1.23195076

Although the TC credits the author with having a Phd from UVIC, they fail to mention that he is also the manager of Trees Dispensary.

We are not quite in an election campaign yet, but could the article found to be in violation?  How much would that article cost and is it being transparent?  Might be worth reporting to elections BC?

#4376 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:20 AM

^I would say yes...

Reads like a free election add to me.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#4377 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 13 March 2018 - 05:35 AM

We are not quite in an election campaign yet, but could the article found to be in violation?  How much would that article cost and is it being transparent?  Might be worth reporting to elections BC?

The problem with the new election laws, as I understand them, is that they now allow an unlimited, confidential amount of money from individuals to flow into 3rd party advertising. So ads like this one, which appear to be provided by an individual, are likely legal.

No wonder the politicians were so quick to endorse the changes. Should mean a huge windfall and competitive advantage for establishment players.

Edited by spanky123, 13 March 2018 - 05:36 AM.

#4378 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 08:55 AM

Popped into a dispensary in downtown Seattle last week to see how they compared to ours (I did not buy anything). I thought it was very professional, you show your ID at the door and the clerk discusses your needs and the various options. You can buy a pre-rolled joint for about $5 USD, presented to you in a sealed tube. 

The funny thing is, like Victoria or Vancouver there is not a cop in sight, Seattle police don't care a whit, they have other priorities. But if a border agent finds that joint going through customs you are in a world of trouble. 

#4379 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 09:02 AM

The funny thing is, like Victoria or Vancouver there is not a cop in sight, Seattle police don't care a whit, they have other priorities. 

Pot is legal in Washington State.  I imagine when the new law comes in in  Canada, bringing a certain amount in over the border will be legal.

#4380 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 18 March 2018 - 09:03 AM

Pot is legal in Washington State.  I imagine when the new law comes in in  Canada, bringing a certain amount in over the border will be legal.

From the US into Canada, I'd guess so, yeah. Not the other way though.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users