Marijuana businesses / dispensaries in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
4366 replies to this topic

#4361 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 582 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 06 February 2018 - 01:01 PM

So we can get high in public but not drunk...that seems odd. 

Not necessarily. The interpretation of the law will be subject to debate, as the regulation makes no mention of drunkenness to my knowledge. Rather, it is against the law to be intoxicated in a public place, and there is no definition of intoxication. It is assumed that this obviously refers to alcohol, but now the courts will have to decide whether the effects of marijuana also qualify as intoxication. I say yes.

It is entirely possible to smoke or consume cannabis without becoming mind-numbingly high, just as it is possible to consume liquor without becoming black-out drunk. It's that grey area of "I only had one marijuana cigarette, officer," that will be tested in the courts soon enough.

And for the record, consumption of liquor in public shouldn't be illegal in my mind. Montreal seems to be doing OK with it.

• Nparker likes this

#4362 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:32 PM

It’s a stimulant not a depressant. No one is bumbling out in traffic after smoking some pot. I recommend all the against crew go out and try it so you don’t sound like your only knowledge on the subject comes from Reefer Madness....

Actually CBD & THC (the most active chemical ingredients in Marijuana)  are in themselves  medically classified as  "Depressants" do to the characteristics it delivers to the user such as muscle relaxation, tiredness, decreased alertness and sedation. In relation directly to Marijuana ,  Marijuana has also been medically and clinically proven to be able to worsen some mental illnesses, like anxiety, depression, short-term psychosis, suicidal thoughts and schizophrenia.

Keep in mind I am talking specifically about Marijuana and not alcohol or any other substance.

• Nparker likes this

#4363 dasmo

dasmo
  • 4,216 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:49 PM

From the sounds of it, it'll be harder to smoke the stuff after legalization, than before. What with the no smoking within X meters of a doorway, or in a workplace, etc. etc.

Maybe this is a new tactic in the War on Drugs - legalize the stuff, then proceed to demonize it like they did with tobacco and slowly relegate the potheads to the far corner of the parking lot, like they were when I was in high school.

I used to always say the worst thing for a pot smoker is legalization....

#4364 dasmo

dasmo
  • 4,216 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 02:51 PM

Actually CBD & THC (the most active chemical ingredients in Marijuana) are in themselves medically classified as "Depressants" do to the characteristics it delivers to the user such as muscle relaxation, tiredness, decreased alertness and sedation. In relation directly to Marijuana , Marijuana has also been medically and clinically proven to be able to worsen some mental illnesses, like anxiety, depression, short-term psychosis, suicidal thoughts and schizophrenia.

Keep in mind I am talking specifically about Marijuana and not alcohol or any other substance.

Have you ever tried it?

#4365 todd

todd
  • 5,031 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 04:13 PM

I used to always say the worst thing for a pot smoker is legalization....

https://youtu.be/A42gGASPI58

#4366 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 05:29 PM

Have you ever tried it?

Yup, and I experienced relaxation, tiredness, decreased alertness and sedation. So much sedation as a matter of fact, I could never stay awake more then an hour after smoking it.

Of course a heavy or frequent user of it (as in daily or someone who smokes it a few times a week) will build up a tolerance so those effects are less and or not as powerful. But one thing is for sure, no matter how many years you smoke it, no matter how much you consume in a 24 hour period.......you will always be Impaired by it to some extent

#4367 dasmo

dasmo
  • 4,216 posts

Posted 06 February 2018 - 06:33 PM

The benefits of now is you know what you are smoking. Different strains give different results. In the past you got what you got. Now if you want to be sedated you can choose that. If you want to be creative or chatty or whatever you can choose it from a menu. It’s a darn shame I can’t smoke the stuff....

But yes, I would not recommend smoking and operating heavy equipment but walking the streets is perfectly safe....

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users