* * * * * 3 votes

Marijuana/cannabis businesses/dispensaries in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
5815 replies to this topic

#4381 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 09:18 AM

Pot is legal in Washington State.  I imagine when the new law comes in in  Canada, bringing a certain amount in over the border will be legal.

It is illegal federally which is what counts when it comes to the border.

#4382 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 March 2018 - 10:13 AM

I guess I only meant coming this way at the border.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4383 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 19 March 2018 - 02:46 PM

It's going to be a whole new ballgame for the local pot dealers whenever Ottawa finally implements its long-overdue regulations.

...Labelling requirements that are being proposed for the final regulations and includes: standardized cannabis symbol that would need to appear on every label; mandatory health warning messages that would need to appear on every label; and requirements with respect to information on THC and CBD content.

Additionally, the strict rules call specifically for the following:

- only one other brand element (in addition to the brand name) could be displayed;
- it would be prohibited to display any other image or graphic;
- label and package backgrounds would need to be a single, uniform colour;
- it would be prohibited to use any fluorescent or metallic colours;
- colours must contrast with the colours of the standardized cannabis symbol and the background of the health warning messages;
- labels and packaging could not have any coating (e.g. could not be glossy), embossing (raised or recessed relief images), texture, foil, cut-outs or peel-away labels;
- any over-wrap must be clear
- it would be prohibited to include any insert in a package

warning.JPG

http://dailyhive.com...ging-rules-2018

Edited by Nparker, 19 March 2018 - 02:47 PM.

#4384 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 08:18 AM

New Otter Point pot dispensary at risk of closure: RCMP - Victoria News

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4385 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 02:40 PM

A judge has ruled do to its carcinogenic chemical makeup it must contain a cancer warning label https://globalnews.ca/news/4115139/

Edited by todd, 30 March 2018 - 02:44 PM.

#4386 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 02:47 PM

A judge has ruled do to its carcinogenic chemical makeup it must contain a cancer warning label https://globalnews.ca/news/4115139/

That's coffee, not pot.

Starbucks must have cancer warning on coffee in California, judge rules

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 30 March 2018 - 02:47 PM.

• Matt R. likes this

#4387 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 03:00 PM

I didn't know starbuds sold coffee.

#4388 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 30 March 2018 - 04:34 PM

Pot is legal in Washington State.  I imagine when the new law comes in in  Canada, bringing a certain amount in over the border will be legal.

I seriously doubt that. Even if just for the typical bans on agricultural products, seeds, and the like.

But also for this reason:

https://globalnews.c...ing-pot-border/

#4389 Kungsberg

Kungsberg
  • 419 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 06:34 AM

Canada’s first National Cannabis Convention to be held in Victoria

On April 20, 21 industry leaders will meet to discuss upcoming legalization

March 30, 2018 

https://www.vicnews....ld-in-victoria/

“Victoria will host the inaugural National Cannabis Convention on April 20 and 21 at the Victoria Conference Centre.

The two-day event will cover everything business owners and the community need to know leading up to legalization, slated for this summer.

This includes updates on the Federal, Provincial, and Municipal rules, how the legal cannabis industry will impact the economy, and highlight investment opportunities. Managing the transition from the grey market to the legal industry will be an area of focus.

“Vancouver Island is the hub of cannabis in North America,” said James Whitehead, owner of Medijuana Dispensary on Gorge Road, the title sponsor of the event.

…..

“On Saturday, April 21, Mayor Lisa Helps will open the conference, providing an update on how the City will regulate the legal market.”

^ Just guessing, but probably handled about as well as the non-legal market is being handled.

#4390 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 07:41 AM

I seriously doubt that. Even if just for the typical bans on agricultural products, seeds, and the like.
But also for this reason:
https://globalnews.c...ing-pot-border/

Seems odd though. The law will likely be changed. Because you can bet it’ll only be a few weeks into the new laws before someone is caught taking a personal amount across the BC Washington border rather than throwing it out.

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 31 March 2018 - 07:43 AM.

#4391 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 10:05 AM

Seems odd though. The law will likely be changed. Because you can bet it’ll only be a few weeks into the new laws before someone is caught taking a personal amount across the BC Washington border rather than throwing it out.

You won't be able to bring it across as long as it is illegal federally in the US. Their transportation safety and customs officers will enforce federal law, regardless of what Washington state thinks.
  • sdwright.vic likes this

#4392 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 10:55 AM

I had my sunkist oranges taken from me at the border recently I can feel the winds of change coming. Did get a stern grin, they still let me across however. They caught on when I admitted I was into citrus.

Edited by todd, 31 March 2018 - 10:59 AM.

#4393 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 31 March 2018 - 11:11 AM

Can I bring dried oranges across?

#4394 Redd42

Redd42
  • 1,502 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 02:26 PM

Sorry I haven't been following this discussion. Just wondering what the Bylaw enforcement is for pot shops in Victoria?

A couple of times in the last week or so, a Victoria bylaw person has gone in to the pot shop on Bridge St. The shop is then closed for a bit but then just re-opens again. 

Am I right to assume they are getting some kind of ticket, paying it and just going about their business?

#4395 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 02:27 PM

You won't be able to bring it across as long as it is illegal federally in the US. Their transportation safety and customs officers will enforce federal law, regardless of what Washington state thinks.

I mean the other way, into Canada. We will allow it.

#4396 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 02:28 PM

Sorry I haven't been following this discussion. Just wondering what the Bylaw enforcement is for pot shops in Victoria?

A couple of times in the last week or so, a Victoria bylaw person has gone in to the pot shop on Bridge St. The shop is then closed for a bit but then just re-opens again.

Am I right to assume they are getting some kind of ticket, paying it and just going about their business?

I suspect 95% of tickets remain unpaid.

#4397 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 02:36 PM

Ahh gotcha, you're prpbably right

#4398 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,738 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 02:49 PM

...Just wondering what the Bylaw enforcement is for pot shops in Victoria?..

I suspect 95% of tickets remain unpaid.

Sounds like a Freedom of Information request needs to be made to the CoV's bylaw enforcement department.

• rmpeers likes this

#4399 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 03:21 PM

What about the spreading of plant diseases?

#4400 johnk

johnk
  • 1,608 posts

Posted 05 April 2018 - 03:30 PM

Why bother, just buy it here.
  • todd likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users