Marijuana/cannabis businesses/dispensaries in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
5815 replies to this topic

#4481 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 19 April 2018 - 02:37 PM

There was a very robust underground for liquor sales during prohibition but it died out pretty quick post prohibition.

There is a difference though - the liquor industry was long established before Prohibition, and Prohibition lasted a relatively short period of time.  All the while the industry kept functioning outside of the Prohibition areas, and was ready to step back in when it ended.

Marijuana never got to be an established industry like alcohol before it was prohibited.  I suspect that given the suggested pricing differences and current black-market availability that the latter won't go away overnight, but there will be a decline in favour of the legal market.

I don't think it will come from busting more heads, but rather adjustments to the legal market to squeeze out the illegal  market.

• LJ likes this

#4482 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 19 April 2018 - 02:50 PM

Marijuana is odd in that it became an established underground industry while prohibited. There's still a sizable marijuana by mail industry, which will probably continue to operate if the price at legal outlets isn't competitive. I don't know what sort of production capacity has been secured through Health Canada's licensed growers, but I would not be surprised at all if there was a supply issue. Quebec has about double the population of BC, and signed a supply agreement for 62,000 kg annually. 

#4483 LJ

LJ
  • 12,730 posts

Posted 19 April 2018 - 08:45 PM

I would think that with tax revenue at stake enforcement will become quite rigorous.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4484 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 20 April 2018 - 08:39 AM

I would think that with tax revenue at stake enforcement will become quite rigorous.

Not if they're playing the long game - they are getting $0 taxes now, so if they have to ramp to full expectations that's one thing.  It's not quite the same as if the market was suddenly flooding with black-market (export-only) cigarettes for example and caused a drop in tax revenue.

I suppose it will be a balance of how much they expect to gain in the short term and how much they want to spend on enforcement as we transition from the moral issue of Marijuana Is Bad to the more mundane accounting of Where's Muh Money?

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#4485 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 01:19 PM

I checked out Centennial Square; an enterprising individual has set up a popcorn/sno-cone stand. There are about 200 people already gathered there for 4/20 handing out resumes and exchanging career-building tips. Just kidding, that part wasn't happening.

• Mike K., VicHockeyFan, Nparker and 1 other like this

#4486 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,689 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 01:31 PM

I checked out Centennial Square; an enterprising individual has set up a popcorn/sno-cone stand...

Anyone giving advice on armed combat and eluding the local police?

#4487 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 20 April 2018 - 02:03 PM

No advice needed. Just show up and you may participate in an hands-on workshop.

• VicHockeyFan and Nparker like this

#4488 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 02:14 PM

https://culturemagaz...roof-with-hemp/

#4489 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 09:19 AM

BREAKING: Sunset Park Field closed for up to 10 weeks: Park Board

Following damage sustained during yesterday's 4/20 event, the Vancouver Park Board says the Sunset Park Field will be blocked off to the public for at least 10 weeks. The board says a fence will go up as it's closed for "major rehabilitation."

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4490 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,689 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 09:50 AM

So much for the theory that marijuana does no harm. Ironic that damage was done to the grass by those using grass.  <_<

#4491 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 21 April 2018 - 12:22 PM

https://twitter.com/...061352261795840

#4492 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 25 April 2018 - 08:43 PM

Not if they're playing the long game - they are getting $0 taxes now, so if they have to ramp to full expectations that's one thing.  It's not quite the same as if the market was suddenly flooding with black-market (export-only) cigarettes for example and caused a drop in tax revenue.

I suppose it will be a balance of how much they expect to gain in the short term and how much they want to spend on enforcement as we transition from the moral issue of Marijuana Is Bad to the more mundane accounting of Where's Muh Money?

Maybe I will be right? (First time for everything.)

https://www.vicnews....ikely-minister/

#4493 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 06:13 AM

Farnworth said the legislation in B.C. will not include a definitive pricing policy.

Well, that's good.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#4494 LJ

LJ
  • 12,730 posts

Posted 26 April 2018 - 07:50 PM

Well, that's good.

Except you have to buy from the MDB at their price, the amount you choose to mark it up is up to you.

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4495 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 01 May 2018 - 02:41 PM

More time is needed to prepare: http://www.timescolo...-say-1.23286825

Oh well, I guess no one will sell or consume any marijuana in the meantime.

Another year of complete control by organised crime (by definition).

#4496 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,689 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 02:52 PM

One has to wonder this is only coming to light now?

#4497 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 01 May 2018 - 03:15 PM

Because we are getting closer to the original target date, so some excuse has to be found?

Since it's a money and control issue, perhaps the timing is designed to put pressure on the Feds to give over the money and control.

Pick a conspiracy.  :P

• Nparker likes this

#4498 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 03:44 PM

Just bring the damn thing in an fine-tune is as you go.  Culturally sensitive indigenous materials I do not even know what that means.

#4499 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,006 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 03:48 PM

Many if not most FN bands intend to sell pot on reserve land tax free as they do now with "native smokes". The Feds have come back and tried to prevent that through regulation so the FN are crying fowl and want more time to resolve this.

#4500 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 01 May 2018 - 04:00 PM

Many if not most FN bands intend to sell pot on reserve land tax free as they do now with "native smokes". The Feds have come back and tried to prevent that through regulation so the FN are crying fowl and want more time to resolve this.

I'd say let them sell it like they do now with cigarettes.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users