* * * * * 2 votes

Marijuana businesses / dispensaries in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
4626 replies to this topic

#4621 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 942 posts

Posted 29 June 2018 - 07:55 AM

Legalization is going to be interesting, because after a decade or so of pot use (versus dealing) being ignored, it's now going to be under this big spotlight and getting scrutinized in ways it wasn't before.

De-decriminalization would probably have been less disruptive (but then the gov't wouldn't get its cut).

• Dr. Barillas likes this

#4622 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 391 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 29 June 2018 - 08:08 AM

^ The G&M is reporting this morning that the LCBO in Ontario now wants to lower the retail price of pot by 30% ($7.50 a gram inc taxes) to compete against the black market and is trying to force suppliers to cut their prices. I think what Canadians are seeing with moves like this is that the model hasn't been fully thought out and would rather wait until it is.

That would make more sense if they were starting from zero - if they were considering how to introduce something new.  This is not pre-game strategy - this is trying to keep a retreat from becoming a rout.  They could go with what they have and adjust it later, or they could let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

I think if there was to be a delay in implementation they would need to decriminalize it and allow cultivation for personal use while they fully thought out the rest.

There is a certain dichotomy between declaring that marijuana is OK (by drafting a law that says so), but it's a crime to have or produce it.  It's an odd transitional period.

#4623 todd

todd
  • 5,407 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 10:06 PM

As mentioned before a friend was using an essential oils diffuser in their smoking lounge but only a typical aromatherapy diffuser more just for fun and before the virgin australia charcoal and electrostatic pre-filter.

In this operation they are using what appears to be essential oil cannons to stop the smell, it seems like that would be obviously worse then an unburned plant. https://globalnews.c...our-complaints/

Edited by todd, 04 July 2018 - 10:17 PM.

#4624 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 391 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 05 July 2018 - 12:41 PM

Wow.  I don't know if this is just a predictable situation or if a journalism template or what, but this is all the same pattern.

1) Resident has their slice of paradise ruined by Company.

2) Company making a problem declares they don't want to be a problem and points out they spent money on it, and they meet regulations - as if these things make any difference to the actual problem.

This is almost as bad as the Neighbourhood-Distressed-By-Traffic Of The Week (pick one, any one) reported in the local flyer wrappers - "People drive too fast through here and police should do something about it says local person with dog, child or driveway."

#4625 tjv

tjv
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 08:13 AM

Not sure if its been posted here before but BC Liquor will be the official dispensary for pot.  I got a call asking me to run the province wide roll out/modifications to BC Liquor stores, but I turned it down

#4626 RFS

RFS
  • 1,814 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 08:17 AM

Not sure if its been posted here before but BC Liquor will be the official dispensary for pot.  I got a call asking me to run the province wide roll out/modifications to BC Liquor stores, but I turned it down

They are doing independent licenses as well

#4627 spanky123

spanky123
  • 9,007 posts

Posted 06 July 2018 - 08:40 AM

True but the independents have to buy from the Government. If it is like booze they will get a small discount to what the Government sells it for so it will be next to impossible to undercut them and make money

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users

To advertise on VibrantVictoria, call us at 250-884-0589.