Marijuana/cannabis businesses/dispensaries in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
5815 replies to this topic

#4681 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 05:08 PM

It'll take some time for supply chains to get sorted out, and different legal growers to establish themselves. But it should take a big chunk out of the black market sales. Why would an individual sell illegally, when they can operate a legit business doing the exact same thing. No legal risks, no worrying about getting caught, actually maintain a credit rating. 

Like with alcohol, the convenience of legal storefronts will be enticing too. I think a consumer would rather walk into a shop on their way home from work and pay with debit/credit, than have to meet up with their drug dealer and bring cash.

Isn't that exactly what's going on downtown right now? The illegal pot shops will be much cheaper than legal ones. It's impossible to shut down the illegal drug trade because the war on drugs failed. 

#4682 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 06:59 PM

Isn't that exactly what's going on downtown right now? The illegal pot shops will be much cheaper than legal ones. It's impossible to shut down the illegal drug trade because the war on drugs failed.

Yes, but there currently isn't a provincial enforcement body out laying fines against them. There will be in the near future.

#4683 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 17 September 2018 - 08:29 PM

But if it's much cheaper to buy it illegally and most people will probably just continue to do that where is this magical revenue coming from?

So either the government has to stop the illegal sales which they said wasn't possible. Clearly the only solution here is no taxes on weed right? Then the revenue will come from magical beans or something like that who knows. It's all so confusing.

Again, I think most consumers will choose to go into a legal store over meeting a dealer at the park. People are generally willing to pay a premium to do things legally. Similar to what is happening in every other jurisdiction in North America that has legalized cannabis. Really the only evidence we have is from those other jurisdictions, where sales and therefore tax revenue have been high (no pun intended).

#4684 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 07:25 AM

Again, I think most consumers will choose to go into a legal store over meeting a dealer at the park. People are generally willing to pay a premium to do things legally. Similar to what is happening in every other jurisdiction in North America that has legalized cannabis. Really the only evidence we have is from those other jurisdictions, where sales and therefore tax revenue have been high (no pun intended).

I think that there are a few differences between here and the US. We have a much more established and entrenched illegal regime than the US did before they legalized. The price of retail pot in states like Colorado is far less than what the Government here is proposing (< $6 a gram vs $10 a gram). We have a local Government who has shown no interest in targeting illegal operators.

#4685 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 18 September 2018 - 07:54 AM

I think that there are a few differences between here and the US. We have a much more established and entrenched illegal regime than the US did before they legalized. The price of retail pot in states like Colorado is far less than what the Government here is proposing (< $6 a gram vs $10 a gram). We have a local Government who has shown no interest in targeting illegal operators.

Fair points, for sure. Though I will say, remember that Canadians pay a premium over Americans on pretty much everything, so a straight line comparison of our cost per gram to theirs is unfair, or at the very least, the cost is not as far apart as you suggest when you take into account those parameters. Plus you could argue that because of the entrenched regime here that you've noted, we'll see some of those growers move into the legal realm and produce a higher quality product than what is available south of the border, further justifying the higher cost. Ultimately we'll see pretty soon how it all takes off. This time next year we should have a good idea of how the first year of legalization will end up. Until then we're all just talking out of our donkeys.

#4686 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 23 September 2018 - 04:55 AM

Time to get on your reading glasses......Here is a link to Canada's NEW Cannabis Act.

Since Marijuana will be officially legal nation wide in 3 weeks it is well worth the reading for everyone, even if you do not use 

http://laws-lois.jus...ng/acts/C-24.5/

If you are a member of the Canadian Military, there is an entire different set of laws for you here (much more strict) 

http://forces.gc.ca/...000/9004-1.page

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 23 September 2018 - 04:59 AM.

#4687 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:41 AM

BC regulations are now out.

If I read this correctly, the taxes will be about 30% on top of a Federal minimum price mandate of $10 a gram. The G&M reported today that the average pot shop price in BC is about $7 a gram. That would make the legal price of pot almost double what it is today.

https://www.timescol...abis-1.23458081

We be interesting to see what happens on the 17th if the Government allows the private operators to stay open over the next 3-6 months as they work through paperwork. One would think that few, if any, people would buy from a legal source or online.

Edited by spanky123, 10 October 2018 - 09:43 AM.

#4688 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 10:05 AM

The black market will certainly thrive because they are cutting out craft growers and other products. But... it’s like saying no one will buy anything from 7-11 because it’s too expensive...

#4689 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 10 October 2018 - 10:27 AM

I predict a FUD campaign against illegal sources as well - "Do you know what's in your cannabis?" - to drive new partakers towards the legal sources.  I doubt it will have any effect on current users confident in their supplier(s).

#4690 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 10:47 AM

The black market will certainly thrive because they are cutting out craft growers and other products. But... it’s like saying no one will buy anything from 7-11 because it’s too expensive...

I love the fact that a dude with weed in his backyard is now a "craft grower," lol.

• Bernard and Wayne like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4691 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 10 October 2018 - 10:50 AM

I love the fact that a dude with weed in his backyard is now a "craft grower," lol.

It's a marketing breakthrough!

• rmpeers likes this

#4692 Love the rock

Love the rock
  • 945 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 11:29 AM

I wonder how many parents and grandparents are going to get weed in their Christmas stockings this year . I can just see it now ...alexia how do I use a bong ?

#4693 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,499 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 11:44 AM

Get with the times man. Prohibition ends in seven days.... 

#4694 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 10 October 2018 - 01:11 PM

Many funny terms like this have come into our world, my favourite is 'artisanal gold miners"   - people in developing countries that pan for gold on other people's claims

• Mike K. likes this

#4695 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,054 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 02:02 PM

so reading that article it does not really say what the government plans for the existing stores.

#4696 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 10 October 2018 - 02:20 PM

The black market rate for marijuana is around $3.75 a gram at the moment if you are getting an ounce.   That is a lot less than $13 a gram 

#4697 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 02:26 PM

Wowzers, an ounce is like buying a keg of beer though. 99% of consumers won't be buying that much product in one go unless they plan to portion it off and sell it.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4698 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 10 October 2018 - 02:33 PM

The black market rate for marijuana is around $3.75 a gram at the moment if you are getting an ounce.   That is a lot less than $13 a gram 

The criminal penalties for selling BLACK MARKET Marijuana after the 17th have increased like 10 fold. This will be a good deterrent for those who want to sell after the 17th.   So if they want to get the last bit of business in without the risk of going to jail or having MASSIVE fines...they have 7 days to do it.

#4699 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 10 October 2018 - 02:37 PM

Wow, I want to know your dealer! The dispensary price in Vancouver is generally $10-14/gram depending on the strain, with the cheapest variety $8/gram. The BC average is (apparently) around $7/gram

#4700 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 10 October 2018 - 02:38 PM

Wowzers, an ounce is like buying a keg of beer though. 99% of consumers won't be buying that much product in one go unless they plan to portion it off and sell it.

For $100 you can get an ounce versus barely more an a 1/4 ounce at what the projected minimum provincial prices will be.   

Meanwhile convicting people after the 17th will be harder than now because the barrier to entry is so low and a lot of small producers are going to continue.   It is not like wine, beer or spirits where it is very expensive to make a decent product and hard to move around.   Once it is legal there is no way to know if any specific marijuana is legal or not.    

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users