Marijuana/cannabis businesses/dispensaries in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
5815 replies to this topic

#4781 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 04:04 AM

Yes and that’s how medical marijuana has been distributed. You receive a canister of several strains pre-rolled.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#4782 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 05:39 AM

With this restrictive distribution the price of edibles and oils just went up on the black market most likely....

#4783 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 07:12 AM

Starting at less than $7 a gram and with only pst and gst being charged, the prices are lower than the feds originally announced. Not leaving much room for retailers.

I wonder how the munis figure they will get a rev share?

Edited by spanky123, 17 October 2018 - 07:18 AM.

#4784 Cats4Hire

Cats4Hire
  • 1,393 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 07:15 AM

I appreciate how one of them costs $4.20 https://www.bccannab...hybrid-pre-roll

#4785 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 09:15 AM

Gotta say I'm disappointed by the capsule selection. Beyond being sold out already, there's no info on dosage/strength of the capsule. Those of us who've been buying capsules with clearly marked dosage (e.g.: 10mg THC or 5mg/5mg THC/CBD) are totally in the dark as to how these new legal capsules will effect us. If I buy a box, take a capsule, and find out the hard way that it's too darn strong (or too weak) to work, suddenly I'm stuck with 29 useless capsules and going back to a grey-market dispensary.

~ Jasmine ~

#4786 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,967 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 10:06 AM

take a part capsule next time?

#4787 Kikadee

Kikadee
  • 247 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 10:25 AM

Just made my first purchases. Very odd sensation, like the first time I had a legal drink: something previously risky rendered banal. But that’s alright with me. I worked out that—even with shipping, and the taxes on product and shipping—my order amounted to $7.60/gram or $215/oz. That is completely reasonable, especially as I don’t have to drive anywhere and I get the points on my credit card. Hell—I get to use a credit card!! This is pretty awesome.
  • jasmineshinga likes this

#4788 Kikadee

Kikadee
  • 247 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 10:26 AM

Also.... a lot of the stock was completely sold out.

#4789 jasmineshinga

jasmineshinga
  • 332 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 10:36 AM

take a part capsule next time?

Not really an option, the capsules are filled with a liquid (MCT oil usually). Dosage should be clearly marked on the product if the government really wants to ensure responsible use. Right now the equivalent would be going to a BC Liquor store and buying a 24 pack (your only option) of beer without any alcohol % on the label, and the only choice you get in the matter is a generic "Ale" vs. "Lager" descriptor.

• Victoria Watcher and Mystic-Pizza like this

~ Jasmine ~

#4790 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 10:39 AM

This thread isn't going to be anywhere as interesting as it used to be.  :(

• Victoria Watcher likes this

#4791 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 17 October 2018 - 11:03 AM

I am curious about something.   Marijuana is now legal but there is no way for someone in Victoria to buy any legal weed, can i wander around town with an ounce in my pocket even though there is no way I managed to get it legally?

#4792 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 11:18 AM

This thread isn't going to be anywhere as interesting as it used to be. :(

Yeah. Even the dancing bananas aren't as exciting as they used to be. They used to be outlaw bananas; now they're just puppets of The Man.
  • Nparker and Love the rock like this

#4793 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 17 October 2018 - 11:23 AM

Just made my first purchases. Very odd sensation, like the first time I had a legal drink: something previously risky rendered banal. But that’s alright with me. I worked out that—even with shipping, and the taxes on product and shipping—my order amounted to $7.60/gram or $215/oz. That is completely reasonable, especially as I don’t have to drive anywhere and I get the points on my credit card. Hell—I get to use a credit card!! This is pretty awesome.

I am surprised it was that cheap all in

#4794 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 17 October 2018 - 11:47 AM

I am curious about something.   Marijuana is now legal but there is no way for someone in Victoria to buy any legal weed, can i wander around town with an ounce in my pocket even though there is no way I managed to get it legally?

Short answer: yes.

Slightly longer answer: from what I understand (and without any legal background), it is only the sale of cannabis that is controlled. Possession is not limited to cannabis grown in approved facilities. For instance, you can grow at home and there isn't a permitting system to possess a marijuana plant (...right?). So if you have up to the legal amount on your person, you're fine.

Also, there are bigger enforcement issues than verifying the origin of 1 oz of marijuana.

#4795 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 12:05 PM

Gotta say I'm disappointed by the capsule selection. Beyond being sold out already, there's no info on dosage/strength of the capsule. Those of us who've been buying capsules with clearly marked dosage (e.g.: 10mg THC or 5mg/5mg THC/CBD) are totally in the dark as to how these new legal capsules will effect us. If I buy a box, take a capsule, and find out the hard way that it's too darn strong (or too weak) to work, suddenly I'm stuck with 29 useless capsules and going back to a grey-market dispensary.

"Soyuz-TMA capsule is always attached to the ISS in "standby" mode, in case of emergencies."

• Bernard likes this

#4796 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,488 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 12:19 PM

The model blows. Prohibition is over but you can only buy it from the government and we don't have any.... The industry is well used to breaking the law and is full of brazen rebels. The law is new and untried so expect more business as usual with the law being defined over the next few years... In the mean time, if you are looking for edibles and capsules go the Amazon route I guess https://herbapproach...tegory/edibles/

#4797 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 02:12 PM

You can, but you could be fined I think $230 dollars, plus get a criminal conviction for it.  If you have a prescription for it, then no. 

But yes, according to the new laws, if you are in possession of any marijuana product that was not purchased through the LCDB then that marijuana would be illegal.

But don't worry, nobody is going to fine you, there is nobody out there enforcing it person to person. Retail outlets however will ruin their chances of being granted a license by the government.  The Minister even said on the radio that those who continue to operate today selling black market marijuana will go the the very Bottom of the pile of applications and would likely void their chance of being approved.

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 17 October 2018 - 02:16 PM.

#4798 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 02:31 PM

In a shocking announcement, VicPD announced they will be taking no direct enforcement action against any of Victoria's illegal pot shops. I mean, why start now? Hoping that if we get a new mayor this weekend, maybe the police will be allowed to, y'know, like actually enforce laws and stuff.

Edited by rmpeers, 17 October 2018 - 02:31 PM.

• Nparker, sebberry and sdwright.vic like this

#4799 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 02:37 PM

In a shocking announcement, VicPD announced they will be taking no direct enforcement action against any of Victoria's illegal pot shops.

To be fair, until the Province works out the kinks in its new regulations, local police may find that charging the illegal shops is a waste of time if the Crown doesn't intend to prosecute.

#4800 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 17 October 2018 - 02:37 PM

Fortunately it's not the jurisdiction any longer. Provincial enforcement will come into play here now. They must have a provicial licence. Try selling liquor without a liqour license from the province.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users