Marijuana/cannabis businesses/dispensaries in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
5815 replies to this topic

#61 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:22 AM

You haven't even set foot in one so how would you know?

#62 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:36 AM

You're right, I've never set foot in one. But I have heard leaders and experts from our region express great concern that these businesses are either unlicensed or not properly licensed or lack adequate oversight.

Can you point us to a medicinal dispensary that makes food onsite and has certification from VIHA to do so and is properly licensed?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#63 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 10:55 AM

Buying jam or biscuits at the neighbourhood block party is one thing, but in addition to the standard food handling rules, pot products are unique in that they are strictly for adult consumption and the active ingredients can be harmful in excessive quantities for people of any age. Yet they are sold from a permanent storefront without even a basic $200 business license?

It's amazing how municipalities including Victoria have been caught off guard by this and have had to concoct an action plan on the fly.

#64 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:51 AM

I didn't know the Ingredients to the sleeping pill prescribed by my doctor. I do now...

zolpidem 10 mg. 

colloidal silicon dioxide

croscarmellose sodium

magnesium stearate

mannitol

saccharin sodium

silicified microcrystalline cellulose.

I'll take the Brownie...

sugar
Pot butter
salt
eggs
unsweetened cocoa powder
flour

No problems with the stomach, no side effects and no loss of potency. Sleeping after not for four days did a lot to help me heal. I am so grateful these people are breaking the rules.....

#65 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,009 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:10 PM

Good god! Just think of all those unregulated cookies and cakes being consumed by our children at day cares and preschools all over the country! All being baked in filthy cat and dog infested houses! Regulate this out of control public consumption of non corporate baked goods now!!!!

Of course, daycares and preschools are (mostly) licensed and regulated.

Matt.

#66 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,009 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 07:18 PM

Ok, I'm with you! First stop in the crack down is the Moss Street Market! Shut it down!

Of course, the Moss St. Market (in particular) has policies that state all food and beverage sold at the market must meet VIHA requirements and vendors must get approval from VIHA at the beginning of each season prior to selling at the market.

Matt.

• Nparker and Daveyboy like this

#67 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:01 PM

And these renegade businesses should be held to the same standards as lawful businesses. Which means zero enforcement....
The big problem to deal with first is enabling these businesses to be legal so the can go get a business license but more importantly.....pay tax....

#68 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 11 May 2015 - 11:16 PM

For instance:
"Vancouver food inspectors can impose fines or seize high-risk, homemade products that are sold publicly, but they prefer instead to first educate individuals about the potential dangers."
http://www.theglobea...?service=mobile

#69 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 06:07 AM

And these renegade businesses should be held to the same standards as lawful businesses. Which means zero enforcement....
The big problem to deal with first is enabling these businesses to be legal so the can go get a business license but more importantly.....pay tax....

The problem is that the product acquisition and possession is illegal, none of these shops is going to be willing to let inspectors see a store room with five pounds of pot stored in it.
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#70 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:44 AM

Buying jam or biscuits at the neighbourhood block party is one thing, but in addition to the standard food handling rules, pot products are unique in that they are strictly for adult consumption and the active ingredients can be harmful in excessive quantities for people of any age. Yet they are sold from a permanent storefront without even a basic $200 business license?

It's amazing how municipalities including Victoria have been caught off guard by this and have had to concoct an action plan on the fly.

Technically nobody's ever died from too much pot.

I agree there should be some sort of regulation. But this whole argument gets really murky because while we're kinda dancing around the fact that some of these established have opened purely for financial gain, how many major drug companies are lining the pockets of the federal government and in turn having an influence on our laws?

It's a fact that there is a lot of medical benefit to marijuana with very little risk and when I hear the health minister saying otherwise, not only does it really piss me off - but I can't but of course see the links between our federal government stance on the subject and what's happening in our neighbourhood right now.

Until things get sorted from the top-down, things are going to continue to get more and more interesting.

#71 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 10:59 AM

Let's face it, the vast, vast majority of pot users use it to get stoned. Yes, marijuana has medicinal properties, but we all know darned well that the primary use of pot is to alter ones state of mind and not to address back pain.

Ever since kids started drinking Nyquil to get high pharmacies have clamped down on its availability over the counter. Ever since meth makers started buying over the counter chemicals to make the drug, stores selling the ingredients have clamped down on their availability to just anybody off the street. Do those efforts make it any harder to obtain those items or their after-products? No, but there are now policies in place to at least keep retailers aware of who they should and shouldn't sell to.

Marijuana is predominantly a substance that gets you high. It's no wonder policy makers want to tread very, very lightly regarding its availability for medicinal purposes. So let's let them do that, let's get everything ironed out. Complaining that the process is too slow or that it's too onerous falls on deaf ears. The drug system moves slowly, even for pharmaceuticals (it can take years, even decades to study, procure, test and release a drug in Canada).

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#72 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:14 AM

I think you need to smoke some yourself Mike...

#73 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,670 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:16 AM

Technically nobody's ever died from too much pot...

I am not sure that can be said definitively. Since it is likely that a human at some time and in some place has died from over consumption of almost every conceivable substance under the sun, I don't think it can be completely ruled out that no one in the history of the human race has died from ingesting too much pot, although other underlying conditions probably would be a contributing factor.

#74 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:23 AM

Colorado Deaths Stoke Worries About Pot Edibles

A college student eats more than the recommended dose of a marijuana-laced cookie and jumps to his death from a hotel balcony. A husband with no history of violence is accused of shooting his wife in the head, possibly after eating pot-infused candy.

The two recent deaths have stoked concerns about Colorado's recreational marijuana industry and the effects of the drug, especially since cookies, candy and other pot edibles can be exponentially more potent than a joint.

http://www.huffingto...013&ir=Politics

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#75 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:24 AM

Woman dies from marijuana overdose, which advocates say is impossible

Read more: http://www.bizpacrev...1#ixzz3ZxD1tBRy

#76 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:27 AM

Alcohol causes nearly 4 percent of deaths worldwide, more than AIDS, tuberculosis or violence, the World Health Organization warned on Friday.

http://www.huffingto...-_n_821900.html

#77 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:32 AM

According to a 1988 ruling from US Drug Enforcement Agency administrative law judge Francis Young:

Drugs used in medicine are routinely given what is called an LD-50. The LD-50 rating indicates at what dosage fifty percent of test animals receiving a drug will die as a result of drug induced toxicity. A number of researchers have attempted to determine marijuana’s LD-50 rating in test animals, without success. Simply stated, researchers have been unable to give animals enough marijuana to induce death.

At present it is estimated that marijuana’s LD-50 is around 1:20,000 or 1:40,000. In layman terms this means that in order to induce death a marijuana smoker would have to consume 20,000 to 40,000 times as much marijuana as is contained in one marijuana cigarette.... A smoker would theoretically have to consume nearly 1,500 pounds of marijuana within about 15 minutes to induce a lethal response.

http://www.vice.com/...ijuana-overdose

Edited by gumgum, 12 May 2015 - 11:33 AM.

• http likes this

#78 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:35 AM

Nobody overdosed.

#79 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,469 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:38 AM

Marijuana cigarettes of the 1980's are a vastly different animal from the marijuana cigarettes of the present day.

Anyways, I've had several friends over the years end up in ER after ingesting marijuana. Ask any ER nurse about the frequency of patients who come through that door after using dope and you might be surprised by the answer. Colorado is now facing a growing rate of children ingesting marijuana and requiring medical aid. Read more about it at http://www.denverpos...ating-marijuana How can anyone possibly be so naive to believe that this stuff is completely harmless?

Look, hats off to you if you want to use it. But if someone wants to run a business selling pot and selling pot edibles society will control what you can and cannot do for the benefit of society. That's why we have those systems in place, to ensure those selling to us are licensed, are aware of health and safety regulations, and practice them. That's how it works in a civil, orderly society like Canada.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#80 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:39 AM

The Daily Mail article (yes that Daily Mail) where they sourced the article from says that it would be the first ever marijuana overdose in Britain.  

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users