Marijuana/cannabis businesses/dispensaries in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
5815 replies to this topic

#4861 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,345 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 26 October 2018 - 10:02 AM

^ that display should have been on the other side of the 'village' at the Thrifty Liquor store though!

#4862 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 10:17 AM

You may have noticed that particular Thrifty has a larger than usual selection of frozen pizzas and other convenience food. Not surprising as it seems the entire staff there are UVic students.

• Nparker likes this

#4863 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 08:57 PM

Where do they have the hemp hearts?

#4864 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 09:22 PM

Currently on sale at local Thrifty Foods in Victoria:

ohhenry425.jpg

http://strategyonlin...henrys-425-bar/

Halloween size?

#4865 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 09:30 PM

Marijuana aficionado hardwork always on a schedule?

#4866 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 26 October 2018 - 09:42 PM

Do you think bananas hemp hearts and milk is good?
  • David Bratzer likes this

#4867 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 29 October 2018 - 03:58 PM

I think it's an issue of them not having enough staff to get all the order out. If you go the to the LCDB website they are hiring like crazy for Cannabis Warehouse staff. But the screening process is very strict and is done with super high security screening and background checks. If my order gets shipped out by the middle of next week I wouldn't be surprised. I think TODD got his the next day because he must have placed his order as soon as the sight went online and was one of the first order packed and shipped.

They've got ads up in the Canada Line stations and train cars, I guess since the warehouse is in Richmond. $20/hour to start plus benefits. 

#4868 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 29 October 2018 - 06:01 PM

I really did not think so many dispensaries would continue on in Victoria now that legal weed is so easy to access.   You would think the VicPD would start to shut them down given the clear process the are supposed to follow now.   

#4869 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 06:10 PM

I really did not think so many dispensaries would continue on in Victoria now that legal weed is so easy to access. You would think the VicPD would start to shut them down given the clear process the are supposed to follow now.

I think they will, eventually. Although there is no "official" grace period, local law enforcement are creating one by conduct. Once legal recreational shops are up and running in the region, I'd imagine they will begin to enforce the laws. If they don't the BCLDB will.

#4870 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,719 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 06:28 PM

...You would think the VicPD would start to shut them down given the clear process the are supposed to follow now.   

...Once legal recreational shops are up and running in the region, I'd imagine they will begin to enforce the laws. If they don't the BCLDB will.

If the local police were directed not to enforce marijuana regulations when it was illegal why would anyone think laws would be enforced now?

• Midnightly and rmpeers like this

#4871 rmpeers

rmpeers
  • 2,618 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 06:33 PM

If the local police were directed not to enforce marijuana regulations when it was illegal why would anyone think laws would be enforced now?

Laws, schmaws... just like oaths of office, Victoria's local government is above the rules that govern the rest of our country. :)
  • Nparker and Midnightly like this

#4872 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 07:17 PM

Tax money.

• Bernard likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#4873 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,719 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 07:21 PM

Tax money.

That will result from provincial enforcement, not local police.

#4874 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 08:18 PM

As I said, because a different enforcement/regulatory body will do it if they don't. I'm sure they would rather not have someone else doing their job in their front yard.

#4875 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 08:31 PM

They VicPD will not/ and have already said they will not be doing anything (I am sure at Helps' encouragement).

Thus I am sure some look forward to others doing their job since they cannot.
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#4876 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,719 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 08:36 PM

...I'm sure they would rather not have someone else doing their job in their front yard.

I doubt the CoV police have much faith in their local decision makers at this point.

• rmpeers likes this

#4877 amor de cosmos

amor de cosmos

BUILD

• 7,121 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 07:20 AM

BEIJING — Marijuana may be legal now in Canada but at least three Asian governments are warning their citizens to avoid it, including the spectre of possible arrest for Japanese and South Koreans.

China, the latest to weigh in, didn't go that far. Its consulate in Toronto issued a statement dated Friday reminding Chinese in its jurisdiction — and students in particular — "to avoid contact with and use of marijuana for the sake of ensuring your own physical and mental health."

Canada legalized the sale of recreational marijuana on Oct. 17.

The Chinese statement, posted on the consulate's website, included a long explanation of the Canadian and provincial laws, advising them to read it carefully to avoid running afoul of the new regulations.

Both Japan and South Korea warned their citizens in Canada ahead of the legalization.

https://www.cheknews...-canada-503603/

#4878 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 30 October 2018 - 12:17 PM

Why did I think there would be a change?   Because the date for legalization and the process to legally sell it were clear, the case for shutting them and charging them because there is a realistic chance of getting convictions.

The only ones that i think have a case for staying open are the ones that very clearly are medical marijuana like the longstanding Victoria Compassion Club which has sold marijuana for over 25 years.

It seems the ones staying open that are not really medical have dropped dispensary from their names.

#4879 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 12:35 PM

BEIJING — Marijuana may be legal now in Canada but at least three Asian governments are warning their citizens to avoid it, including the spectre of possible arrest for Japanese and South Koreans.

China, the latest to weigh in, didn't go that far. Its consulate in Toronto issued a statement dated Friday reminding Chinese in its jurisdiction — and students in particular — "to avoid contact with and use of marijuana for the sake of ensuring your own physical and mental health."

Canada legalized the sale of recreational marijuana on Oct. 17.

The Chinese statement, posted on the consulate's website, included a long explanation of the Canadian and provincial laws, advising them to read it carefully to avoid running afoul of the new regulations.

Both Japan and South Korea warned their citizens in Canada ahead of the legalization.

https://www.cheknews...-canada-503603/

"after Japan’s surrender in 1945, U.S. authorities occupied the country and they introduced American attitudes towards cannabis. Having effectively prohibited its cultivation in the States in 1937, Washington now sought to ban it in Japan. With the nation still under U.S. control, it passed the 1948 Cannabis Control Act. The law criminalized possession and unlicensed cultivation - and more than 60 years later, it remains at the core of Japan’s current anti-cannabis policy."

https://apjjf.org/20...chell/4231.html

#4880 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 30 October 2018 - 11:24 PM

Why did I think there would be a change?   Because the date for legalization and the process to legally sell it were clear, the case for shutting them and charging them because there is a realistic chance of getting convictions.

The only ones that i think have a case for staying open are the ones that very clearly are medical marijuana like the longstanding Victoria Compassion Club which has sold marijuana for over 25 years.

It seems the ones staying open that are not really medical have dropped dispensary from their names.

The Pineapple Express in Esquimalt has remained open all along. They have not closed down for even one day.  Yes, this means they are taking a huge risk, this means they could never get their license approved by the government, and yes all of their product would be black market, and selling that comes with Massive penalties.  But they seem to think it's worth it.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users