Marijuana/cannabis businesses/dispensaries in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
5815 replies to this topic

#5081 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 09 April 2019 - 10:50 AM

I had more than one company Christmas party there back in the day.  Imagine them standing in the pyramid telling a group of analytical folks that blades will sharpen themselves overnight.  We practically strained our eyes rolling them as much as we did.

They did teach us wine tasting though, and I am always grateful for that.

Edited by DustMagnet, 09 April 2019 - 10:51 AM.

#5082 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,967 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 06:29 AM

B.C.’s public safety minister says an enforcement team has begun investigating and closing unlicensed marijuana stores around the province.

The 44-member team was announced in October when pot was legalized across Canada.

At the time, Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth said the team was not expected to get rolling until more licensed pot stores opened.

https://www.cheknews...tores-2-551789/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 13 April 2019 - 06:29 AM.

#5083 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 10:36 AM

B.C.’s public safety minister says an enforcement team has begun investigating and closing unlicensed marijuana stores around the province.

The 44-member team was announced in October when pot was legalized across Canada.

At the time, Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth said the team was not expected to get rolling until more licensed pot stores opened.

https://www.cheknews...tores-2-551789/

He also says investigators won’t immediately be shutting down unlicensed pot stores but will instead inform operators about new licensing regulations governing marijuana sales.

Because illegal pot shops don't realize that there are rules!

What about the illegal grow ops on FN lands that now account for 70%+ of supply? The Province going to be on FN lands and informing them of the rules as well?

• Nparker likes this

#5084 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,724 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 04:23 PM

...Because illegal pot shops don't realize that there are rules!..

Perhaps because they were allowed to operate for so long without any? Because local law enforcement was told to turn a blind eye to illegal activities?

• rmpeers likes this

#5085 Kikadee

Kikadee
  • 247 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:30 AM

A quote from RCMP Staff Sargeant J. McArthur, Sooke detachment, in the Sooke News Mirror (9 Jan 2019): ‘Sooke council really did the right thing in letting the shops operate in the past. These operators were actually very responsible and, now, with legalization there really is very little change.’

#5086 Kikadee

Kikadee
  • 247 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 09:33 AM

Sooke had three ‘illegal’ shops in operation, and one out at Kemp Lake. Ironically, the most ‘upright’ of the illegal shops—Medijuana, the one that was extremely stringent about selling medically—closed down on 17 October to get its license. Meanwhile, the others have carried on as before. Still cheaper to buy on the black market, though.

#5087 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 09:58 AM

The Original FARM (1402 Douglas Street) and Cloud Nine Collective (778 Fort Street) both opened their doors this morning. First two shops on Vancouver Island to actually open their doors and operate fully legally.

There is a shop in Port Hardy that was licensed first, but they apparently are not opening until later this week on, you guessed it, April 20.

• Mike K. likes this

#5088 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 12:32 PM

Aphria pummeled today as they released Q3 revenue and earnings that were below Q2 results. https://www.bnnbloom...-loss-1.1244769

Until the Feds decide that they are going to crack down on the illegal growers and dealers then I can see all of the pot company stocks being "smoked".

Edited by spanky123, 15 April 2019 - 12:34 PM.

#5089 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:19 PM

The Original FARM (1402 Douglas Street) and Cloud Nine Collective (778 Fort Street) both opened their doors this morning. First two shops on Vancouver Island to actually open their doors and operate fully legally.

There is a shop in Port Hardy that was licensed first, but they apparently are not opening until later this week on, you guessed it, April 20.

Actually, the correct "news" is Cloud Nine opened yesterday, Sunday April 14th, 2019 at 4pm thereby the first and now officially the oldest legal shop in Victoria.  See website https://www.cloudninecollective.ca/ (Management says anyone who wants to see security footage and date-stamped receipts they'd be happy to furnish them.) 

From today's Times Colonist: 

"Cloud 9 opening its doors at 4 p.m. Sunday, just ahead of FARM, which touted its grand re-opening for 9 a.m. Monday."

https://www.timescol...ness-1.23791992

Edited by VIResident, 15 April 2019 - 01:25 PM.

#5090 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,967 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:57 PM

shane arsens owns cloud nine. he is the son of former hoteliers paul and artie arsens. he also told me he was opening a store at the new shopping centre near the vancouver ferry terminal on fn land.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 April 2019 - 02:00 PM.

#5091 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 06:16 PM

Pretty much every jurisdiction that's legalized has seen the black market continue to flourish. I'm old enough to remember when cracking down on black market sellers was impossible and so therefore we needed to legalize.

• jonny likes this

#5092 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:06 PM

^ I don't think that anyone expected that the black market would go away. What is surprising to me is that in the months following legalization, the black market is growing and the legal market is shrinking. I would have expected the reverse.

Edited by spanky123, 15 April 2019 - 07:06 PM.

#5093 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 07:19 PM

Is 4 20 a great stereotype to be promoting?  Who has a job where you can walk out and get stoned then come back to work?  Who wants a doctor, dentist, teacher, etc to be a Cheech and Chong ignoramus? 

#5094 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 05:46 AM

^ I don't think that anyone expected that the black market would go away. What is surprising to me is that in the months following legalization, the black market is growing and the legal market is shrinking. I would have expected the reverse.

The market hasn’t really had a chance yet. We just legalized the first two pot shops in Victoria, for example.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5095 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:03 AM

The market hasn’t really had a chance yet. We just legalized the first two pot shops in Victoria, for example.

Even without new pot shops being opened, you wouldn't expect licensed producers showing big declines in volume. The National Post reported last month that BC expects to generate only about 7% of its forecast tax revenue from pot sales as an example.

Edited by spanky123, 16 April 2019 - 06:05 AM.

#5096 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:17 AM

I would assume the issue of getting product to market is there is no retail network. It’ll be a completely different market come the early 2020’s when consumers are actually able to purchase product in-store with as many retail locations as there are liquor stores.

It’s early days yet.
  • Greg, shoeflack and VIResident like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5097 PraiseKek

PraiseKek
  • Validating
  • 415 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:23 AM

Like I said the justification for legalization was that it's futile to enforce the law. If that's the case then how are they going to stop the black market sellers? It's futile to enforce the law on this after all.

#5098 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 08:44 AM

Like I said the justification for legalization was that it's futile to enforce the law. If that's the case then how are they going to stop the black market sellers? It's futile to enforce the law on this after all.

I think generally the idea is that once legal, people feel a whole lot more comfortable buying from your local shop than finding yourself a dealer. So eventually that black market dies off.

Unfortunately, there has been such a slow development of legal retail on top of the heavy prices/lower quality that legal offers versus dealers. So that black market has continued to thrive. As more retail comes online and hopefully retail prices drop and quality increases, we'll slowly get to that point where black market continues to tail off. But that will be many, many years still I would imagine.

How long did it take for black market liquor to really die off after prohibition ended?

• VIResident likes this

#5099 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 06:40 PM

Actually, the correct "news" is Cloud Nine opened yesterday, Sunday April 14th, 2019 at 4pm thereby the first and now officially the oldest legal shop in Victoria.  See website https://www.cloudninecollective.ca/ (Management says anyone who wants to see security footage and date-stamped receipts they'd be happy to furnish them.) 

From today's Times Colonist: 

"Cloud 9 opening its doors at 4 p.m. Sunday, just ahead of FARM, which touted its grand re-opening for 9 a.m. Monday."

https://www.timescol...ness-1.23791992

...went into the farm today. paid a significant amount more cash for a lesser potency product... basically double the price... and still i imagine the guvmint will lose money...

#5100 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 07:00 PM

...went into the farm today. paid a significant amount more cash for a lesser potency product... basically double the price... and still i imagine the guvmint will lose money...

Which is why the vast majority of sales are with the black market and Government sales are declining.

If you want to see what is really going on then Google FN and cannabis. Over 100 FN setting up growing, processing and retail operations. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users