• Please log in to reply
5815 replies to this topic

#5101 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,967 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 03:57 AM

https://www.cbc.ca/n...xcise-1.5101880

Pass it on, provinces: Cities say provincial governments hoarding marijuana tax cash

Social Sharing

Provinces were supposed to share the revenue with cities — but the feds say it's out of their hands

The federal government keeps 25 per cent of the tax revenue and gives the remaining 75 per cent to the provinces — with the expectation that the provinces will then hand over 25 per cent of the total to municipalities.

According to the Federation of Canadian Municipalities, only three provinces have announced cannabis tax revenue-sharing arrangements with cities. Municipalities in Ontario are getting $40 million per year over two years. Quebec has promised municipalities $60 million over two years, while Alberta is offering $11.2 million over two years.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 April 2019 - 03:58 AM.

#5102 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,967 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 04:01 AM

According to Statistics Canada, marijuana users who buy their product legally are paying, on average, almost 57 per cent more than those who buy it illegally.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...alers-1.5100963

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 18 April 2019 - 04:02 AM.

#5103 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 18 April 2019 - 06:18 AM

According to Statistics Canada, marijuana users who buy their product legally are paying, on average, almost 57 per cent more than those who buy it illegally.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...alers-1.5100963

Factor in the legal costs if you get nailed with carrying illegal cannabis & you'll suddenly find the cost of the legal stuff is a fantastic deal. 

#5104 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 06:34 AM

Walking by the Trees dispensary on Yates yesterday evening I saw that it was packed. A line extended all the way from the entrance to three registers some 20’ away, with staff buzzing about.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5105 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 06:55 AM

Factor in the legal costs if you get nailed with carrying illegal cannabis & you'll suddenly find the cost of the legal stuff is a fantastic deal. 

If you take the pot out of the packaging, how can anyone tell if it is legal or not?

• Dr. Barillas likes this

#5106 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 06:56 AM

https://www.cbc.ca/n...xcise-1.5101880

Pass it on, provinces: Cities say provincial governments hoarding marijuana tax cash

Social Sharing

Provinces were supposed to share the revenue with cities — but the feds say it's out of their hands

The problem is that pot sales have been so far below expectations that there is little money to pass on. 

#5107 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 06:58 AM

Walking by the Trees dispensary on Yates yesterday evening I saw that it was packed. A line extended all the way from the entrance to three registers some 20’ away, with staff buzzing about.

I think that most buyers will find the same thing that the CBC reporter did. They will make a couple of purchases for the novelty, find that it is more expensive and less potent then what they are used to buying, and then go back to the black market.

#5108 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 07:42 AM

Do we have any legal stores in Greater Vic?

#5109 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 07:50 AM

Do we have any legal stores in Greater Vic?

The Original FARM (1402 Douglas Street) and Cloud Nine Collective (778 Fort Street) both opened their doors this morning. First two shops on Vancouver Island to actually open their doors and operate fully legally.

There is a shop in Port Hardy that was licensed first, but they apparently are not opening until later this week on, you guessed it, April 20.

• jonny likes this

#5110 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 07:57 AM

^ I don't think that anyone expected that the black market would go away. What is surprising to me is that in the months following legalization, the black market is growing and the legal market is shrinking. I would have expected the reverse.

Who would have guessed that the Federal and Provincial governments could screw this up?

*everybody puts their hand up*

What's funny is we have had report after report and study after study come out saying that the way most provinces handle booze is antiquated and needs to be modernized. Then they dust off and roll-out the old antiquated booze model for weed. I really don't understand why BC is obsessed with this government retail model. 

#5111 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 18 April 2019 - 08:23 AM

Would those retail locations that went to great expense, tremendous expense to be 'legal', to meet all the requirements of the BC / Fed Gov. have a legal case? could they sue the BC Gov. for permitting these 'illegal' shops to remain open effectively hitting the legal shops hard in their potential to recoup costs of being legal?  

#5112 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,521 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 08:53 AM

I think that most buyers will find the same thing that the CBC reporter did. They will make a couple of purchases for the novelty, find that it is more expensive and less potent then what they are used to buying, and then go back to the black market.

I dunno, I saw folks walking out with all sorts of cannabis-related products, not just pot.

The shop was a hive of activity with most patrons in their early 20's to mid-30's, precisely the group that would be most connected to a 'dealer.' The convenience of it all appears to be a hit.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5113 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:07 AM

If you take the pot out of the packaging, how can anyone tell if it is legal or not?

I think the idea is that you must retain the original packaging for transporting cannabis.  Of course there would have to be an effort to pursue enforcement (unlikely) and also, pour your moonshine into a used vodka bottle.

#5114 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:25 AM

I think the idea is that you must retain the original packaging for transporting cannabis.  Of course there would have to be an effort to pursue enforcement (unlikely) and also, pour your moonshine into a used vodka bottle.

So like your vodka, you buy one package of pot legally and then save the packaging. 

I haven't seen any legit pot but does the packaging have any security features or could the black market growers just counterfeit it? 

Edited by spanky123, 18 April 2019 - 09:26 AM.

#5115 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:39 AM

So like your vodka, you buy one package of pot legally and then save the packaging. 

I haven't seen any legit pot but does the packaging have any security features or could the black market growers just counterfeit it? 

Exactly.  (Just don't have an open package accessible to the driver in an automobile - same as alcohol.)

I also haven't seen official packaging, but I don't think black market growers really care about making it look legit.  Who are they trying to fool?

#5116 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:41 AM

Exactly.  (Just don't have an open package accessible to the driver in an automobile - same as alcohol.)

I also haven't seen official packaging, but I don't think black market growers really care about making it look legit.  Who are they trying to fool?

In most industries where product is counterfeited, 90% of the distribution goes through unethical retailers who blend in the counterfeit with legitimate inventory.

#5117 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,029 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 09:55 AM

What about transporting your homegrown from your four plants? Surely you are allowed to bring your home brew beer to your buddies house, so long as it’s transported correctly.

Matt.

#5118 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 18 April 2019 - 01:41 PM

In most industries where product is counterfeited, 90% of the distribution goes through unethical retailers who blend in the counterfeit with legitimate inventory.

That makes sense, although it might be difficult to record sales of product when records indicate you sold more that you bought from the government.  I guess the books would have to be cooked too.  Seems like it's asking for a world of hurt.

#5119 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 18 April 2019 - 01:54 PM

What about transporting your homegrown from your four plants? Surely you are allowed to bring your home brew beer to your buddies house, so long as it’s transported correctly.

Matt.

I suspect if that homebrew is not accessible (e.g. in the trunk) then it's ok.  If your home-capped bottles are in the cab, then maybe not.

Seems like you can't transport more than 30g of your homegrown and it also can't be where anyone can get it.  Now, if you have two adults in the car, can you have 60g of weed in the trunk?

What if you don't have a trunk?  "Beyond the reach of a seat-belted occupant" is what I'd guess.

Cannabis in vehicle operated by adult

(1) An adult must not operate a vehicle, whether or not the vehicle is in motion, while

(a) the adult has personal possession of cannabis, or

(b) there is cannabis in the vehicle.

(2) Subsection (1) does not apply if the cannabis

(a) was produced by a federal producer, is still in the packaging from its purchase by a consumer and the packaging has never been opened,

(b) is not readily accessible to the driver and any passengers in the vehicle, or

(c) is no more than 4 cannabis plants that are not budding or flowering.

#5120 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 01:54 PM

That makes sense, although it might be difficult to record sales of product when records indicate you sold more that you bought from the government.  I guess the books would have to be cooked too.  Seems like it's asking for a world of hurt.

Not saying it is easy, just saying how it is done. 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users