Marijuana/cannabis businesses/dispensaries in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
5815 replies to this topic

#5201 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 30 July 2019 - 03:21 PM

Leave it there more than a week and I am sure that they will get some free "art".

For sure, but I'm talking Art not "art" and certainly not dog pee tags.

#5202 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,848 posts

Posted 31 July 2019 - 02:26 PM

• Nparker likes this

#5203 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 05:54 AM

All Trees locations will close in two weeks: https://www.timescol...shop-1.23902361
  • Nparker likes this

#5204 Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

Hotel Mike

• 2,235 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 09:12 AM

Oh no! This whole rollout was handled so stupidly by the provincial government. You had a system of municipal regulations for weed shops...couldn't be too close to a school or liquor store etc. Many of the stores that got the city licences were well established, served their customers well, and were convenient. Legalization hits, go with the established stores and take your tax cut. But the NDP has badly fumbled this file. Where are the legal stores? People will be going back to 'their guy', to buy their weed. 

Don't be so sure.:cool:

#5205 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,668 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 09:16 AM

Many of the illegal stores that got the city licences were well established, served their customers well, and were convenient...

There, fixed that for you.

#5206 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 01 August 2019 - 12:03 PM

Many of the illegal stores that got the city licences were well established, served their customers well, and were convenient...

There, fixed that for you.

Yes, that totally improves the efficacy of the governmental roll-out.

Where are the legal stores? People will be going back to 'their illegal guy', to buy their illegal weed.

You forgot to fix those ones too.

Also you forgot to fix the actual distribution problem, but let's not talk about that.  ;)

#5207 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,668 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 12:41 PM

The unlicensed pot shops might be operating fully within the law by now if they had not been operating illegally for so long. I have zero sympathy for them.

#5208 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,003 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 12:55 PM

The unlicensed pot shops might be operating fully within the law by now if they had not been operating illegally for so long. I have zero sympathy for them.

Heck with 6 shops over 4 years he probably pulled in $2M-$3M tax free. Not a bad take.

#5209 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,668 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 12:58 PM

Sometimes crime does pay.

#5210 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 01:14 PM

Trees' downtown location on Yates was raided this morning. Guess the government didn't like Alex's assertion that he'd close down his shops in two weeks and wanted to do it today. Trees has now shut down all of its Victoria locations.

#5211 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 01 August 2019 - 01:30 PM

But do you have any sympathy for the consumer that is being ham-strung by the government mishandling of distribution?

I mean, you know what it's like to be, uh, mishandled by government: <cough> taxes <cough> plastic bags <cough>... Ugh, I don't even smoke the stuff and I'm hacking up a lung here.

• Matt R. likes this

#5212 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,003 posts

Posted 01 August 2019 - 02:02 PM

But do you have any sympathy for the consumer that is being ham-strung by the government mishandling of distribution?

I mean, you know what it's like to be, uh, mishandled by government: <cough> taxes <cough> plastic bags <cough>... Ugh, I don't even smoke the stuff and I'm hacking up a lung here.

From what I know, there has been no impact on the legal distribution of medical pot over the past year. Folks without a diagnosis or prescription continue to order from black market dealers (according to stats canada). A store may have made that more convenient but I doubt it is slowing anyone down.

• Nparker likes this

#5213 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 01 August 2019 - 02:54 PM

From what I know, there has been no impact on the legal distribution of medical pot over the past year. Folks without a diagnosis or prescription continue to order from black market dealers (according to stats canada). A store may have made that more convenient but I doubt it is slowing anyone down.

That's great for medical users.

Not sure how it relates to the botched recreational distribution model...  :confused:

#5214 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,003 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 07:49 AM

That's great for medical users.

Not sure how it relates to the botched recreational distribution model...  :confused:

I don't buy rec pot so I am only going by what my buddies tell me. From what I hear there is no problem at all getting pot and legalization has helped lower prices quite a bit.

• Dr. Barillas likes this

#5215 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 02 August 2019 - 03:57 PM

I have no sympathy when someone is knowingly breaking the law and has enforcement action taken against them.
  • Nparker likes this

#5216 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 03 August 2019 - 06:46 AM

There is room in this thread to condemn both lawbreakers and government incompetence.

#5217 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,668 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 07:03 AM

I agree. The CoV was incredibly incompetent in allowing illegal pot shops to flourish.

#5218 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 07:04 AM

It’s not necessarily incompetence, though.

Part of the licensing requirement is for all investors to open their books to the government. You could invest $20k to help open a $1 million dispensary but if you don’t open your books to the government to prove your money does not originate from crime you’ll hoop the whole licensing process.

It’s this sort of scenario that has no doubt posed serious challenges for dispensaries trying to obtain licensing.
  • On the Level likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5219 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 03 August 2019 - 11:32 AM

I agree. The CoV was incredibly incompetent in allowing illegal pot shops to flourish.

Among other things.  But back to the provincial government for a minute... (not that the CoV hasn't shown themselves to dabble in affairs beyond their reach of course.)

#5220 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 12:11 PM

The CoV placed these businesses into a licensed environment that turned out to not only be irrelevant, but against the law. So all of the leases signed, stores opened and employees hired for City-sanctioned “licensed” pot shops put those businesses into committed scenarios from which they would essentially be setup for failure unless they had extremely deep pockets with clean funding sources.

Very, very few of these operators can afford to maintain a lease and a premises while not being able to sell anything. So we have the disaster that we now have.

The City took on something outside of its jurisdiction under the guise that it was forward thinking. But it turned into one of the largest economic missteps in the City’s history which saw many stores close and (now) government raids. This is a worst case scenario for investors who believed the City was within its authority to do what it did, who believed police turning a blind eye would actually work, and who believed federal sanctioning would just prop up what they had already started. Nope. All wrong.

The question now is, will there be lawsuits?
  • Nparker and On the Level like this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users