Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 12:04 PM

Imagine that eh?

#5463 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 12:11 PM

Next they will want a protectionist board like the dairy farmers…
  • Matt R. likes this

#5464 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,997 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 12:30 PM

Next they will want a protectionist board like the dairy farmers…

But if you talk to that board it’s a Good thing, it ballances supply with demand!!!

Are you anti-balance?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 November 2021 - 12:31 PM.

#5465 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 12:31 PM

Sounds like free market taking effect

except for the government stores. Don’t know why we do public and private with booze and weed, guess the man wants his portion.

Edited by todd, 28 November 2021 - 12:40 PM.

#5466 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 12:33 PM

I'd love to sell some cannabis products in my store, but due to the liquor license we can't, not even CBD products - but cigarettes are ok?

#5467 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 12:39 PM

I'd love to sell some cannabis products in my store, but due to the liquor license we can't, not even CBD products - but cigarettes are ok?

You’d probably do great selling a line of cannabis drinks.

#5468 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 12:41 PM

Drinks and edibles and flower, yes, and a range of CBD products.  Salt Spring still doesn't have a licensed store and I think we'd do well being so close to the ferry!

• todd and Dr. Barillas like this

#5469 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 12:49 PM

Drinks and edibles and flower, yes, and a range of CBD products. Salt Spring still doesn't have a licensed store and I think we'd do well being so close to the ferry!

Think they would stop you over there if you just start?

Edited by todd, 28 November 2021 - 12:53 PM.

#5470 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 01:09 PM

Yeah I do. Liquor branch and tobacco control people are pretty serious business. Weed control people don’t seem to care what’s up. I’m sure we could open an illegal store if we found a landlord to rent but then bye bye my two liquor licenses. Not worth it.
  • Barrrister likes this

#5471 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 01:42 PM

^That’s lame.

#5472 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 01:57 PM

Private cannabis retailers in B.C. fear their business is no longer viable given the proliferation of public stores and illicit operators, a survey conducted by Okanagan shops...

Say it isn't so! 

I thought legalized marijuana was going to bring about heaven on earth.

#5473 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 02:40 PM

Leave it up to government to not make money selling cannabis!

• Nparker, Dexter, Dr. Barillas and 1 other like this

#5474 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 06:29 PM

When that crazy cafe up from your closes, your could seek from there!

#5475 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,035 posts

Posted 28 November 2021 - 07:44 PM

Yes we looked at that space when her husband passed away last year, but she wasn’t giving up the lease. We also looked at the pottery place across the road but the landlord already had a tenant lined up.

There isn’t any empty commercial space down here but we’re keeping our eyes peeled all the time. :)
  • todd likes this

#5476 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 08:07 AM

Private cannabis retailers in B.C. fear their business is no longer viable given the proliferation of public stores and illicit operators, a survey conducted by Okanagan shops found.

A group of private cannabis retailers known as the Okanagan Cannabis Collective (OCC) teamed up with the Association of Canadian Cannabis Retailers (ACCRES) to conduct the industry survey, which was published Nov. 9. The survey found that roughly 60 per cent of legal retailers in B.C. believe their business is no longer viable.

The survey also found that private cannabis stores are being squeezed out by municipal policies that allow too many stores to exist in close proximity.

https://www.canadian...-stores-survey/

In Victoria, preference is given to First Nations-owned cannabis stores, no?

The industry is fledgling because isn't a sufficient demand for so much weed, and the product tends to be consumed at a slower pace so return business isn't as frequent as it would be with liquor stores.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5477 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,008 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 08:27 AM

In Victoria, preference is given to First Nations-owned cannabis stores, no?

The industry is fledgling because isn't a sufficient demand for so much weed, and the product tends to be consumed at a slower pace so return business isn't as frequent as it would be with liquor stores.

Knowing people in the biz there are many issues with trying to make a decent return. From what I am told, most of the 'non-licensed' pot is grown on FN reserves on the mainland which the Government won't touch. Without the regulatory overhead the cost of production is about 1/3 of what it costs a licensed grower. Market demand is for THC content higher than what licensed producers are allowed to produce. It is very hard for a licensed grower to also distribute and retail the product. Each is licensed and regulated separately. Nobody is cracking down on the black market.

Bottom line is that pot is not the cash cow the Government promised and most people in the legit market are not making much money.

Edited by spanky123, 29 November 2021 - 08:31 AM.

• Nparker and Matt R. like this

#5478 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 08:32 AM

Let’s have a look at the map: https://justice.gov.bc.ca/lcrb/map

Don’t forget online sales. bc cannabis stores online: https://www.bccannabisstores.com/

don’t about 60% of startups fail in the first couple years? 

“…the five year survival rate for Canadian businesses is 51 per cent..”

“…Approximately 60 per cent of independent restaurants fail in the first three years..”: https://www.cbc.ca/d...-likely-to-fail

better odds than most lottery tickets I suppose.

Edited by todd, 29 November 2021 - 08:49 AM.

#5479 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,539 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 09:30 AM

Knowing people in the biz there are many issues with trying to make a decent return. From what I am told, most of the 'non-licensed' pot is grown on FN reserves on the mainland which the Government won't touch. Without the regulatory overhead the cost of production is about 1/3 of what it costs a licensed grower. Market demand is for THC content higher than what licensed producers are allowed to produce. It is very hard for a licensed grower to also distribute and retail the product. Each is licensed and regulated separately. Nobody is cracking down on the black market.

Bottom line is that pot is not the cash cow the Government promised and most people in the legit market are not making much money.

It's pretty clear now that the decades of action on this front was more about legalizing cannabis under the pretence of creating a government revenue stream and capturing billions of dollars worth of transactions for taxation. The black market is far too advanced and entrenched to be stopped overnight.

• Dr. Barillas likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5480 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,736 posts

Posted 29 November 2021 - 09:33 AM

...The black market is far too advanced and entrenched to be stopped overnight.

If ever.

• Dr. Barillas likes this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users