• Please log in to reply
5815 replies to this topic

#5721 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,848 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 05:09 AM

Pot Dealers Behind In Taxes

Collapse of the legal pot trade has seen two thirds of marijuana dealers fall behind in tax payments, says a federal report. Dealers owe the Canada Revenue Agency millions: “The total amount of unpaid cannabis excise duties has continuously been rising since legalization.”

https://www.blackloc...ehind-in-taxes/

Federally licensed cannabis producers owed the Canada Revenue Agency 192.7 million Canadian dollars ($145 million) as of March 31, 2023, a more than threefold increase over the 2021-22 fiscal year’s CA$52.4 million.

Levy debt has been on a steep upward curve since Canada legalized cannabis in 2018.

Canada’s excise duty imposed on producers’ dried cannabis is either CA$1 per gram or 10% of the value of the gram, whichever is greater.

As of the end of March, the levy debt stood at:

• CA$147,425 in 2019.
  • CA$4.4 million in 2020.
  • CA$16 million in 2021.

“This massive and accelerated growth of total excise owing as well as total number of (licensed producers) in arrears is indicative of a sector-wide inability to survive under current excise tax policy,” Dan Sutton, CEO of British Columbia-based cannabis producer Tantalus Labs, told MJBizDaily in a phone interview.

Sutton has led a drive in recent years to try to convince the federal government to amend the tax.

Different excise rules apply to various cannabis derivatives and other products such as edibles.

The data obtained by MJBizDaily shows that federal tax debt is piling up at an increasing number of licensed cannabis producers.

In March 2020, only 68 regulated cannabis businesses owed an excise debt to the federal government.

One year later, that had shot up to 141 companies with excise debt.

As of March 2023, that figure had skyrocketed to 213 companies, or approximately 70% of the 305 licensees, required to pay excise duty.

https://mjbizdaily.c...-ca200-million/

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 29 May 2023 - 05:14 AM.

• Matt R. likes this

#5722 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,669 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 07:06 AM

Justin's greatest achievement as PM. 🤣

#5723 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 07:17 AM

Perfect! 

#5724 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,337 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 May 2023 - 07:23 AM

How many 'can' pay the debt, but just haven't? That's very relevant to this story.

• todd likes this

#5725 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 07:28 AM

It’s tough when you have to pay protection money to the Hells Angels AND Trudeau’s gang.
  • aastra, Nparker and Matt R. like this

#5726 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,005 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 07:37 AM

How many 'can' pay the debt, but just haven't? That's very relevant to this story.

Well once owners determine that they don't have to pay taxes and can continue to keep operating then more and more won't.

Of course the retailers are collecting the tax from YOU!

Edited by spanky123, 29 May 2023 - 07:38 AM.

#5727 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,337 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 29 May 2023 - 07:56 AM

Yup. Well not me specifically as I don’t partake but I get what you’re saying. I hope the govment cracks down. Hard.

#5728 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,585 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 05:26 PM

Eventually, ASE, you’ll need 15mg, then 20mg, then 40mg, just to get the same effect.

Nah, I'll be fine at the 5-10%; unlike many dedicated pot smokers - thinking of my pals I hosted at a bbq here on Saturday - who've smoked for years (one to control nausea, he being a kidney transplant recipient now needing another one) who've built up a tolerance for it, I only take the edibles when absolutely required for sleep when the leg is really acting up. Perhaps twice/week.

Believe me 10mg is more than sufficient to get the job done. Two edibles and all is fine in my world. The same crew had a bbq last summer in Cowichan Bay. Since I was crashing there for the night, on a lark I upped the ante to 20mg and took four of them. Welllll.....I attempted to make a sandwich about an hour later by which time I'd lost the ability to 1) walk a straight line to the kitchen and b) figure out how to use a common kitchen knife; later still I needed two of the guys to support me going up the stairs to the guest bedroom, lol. 

#5729 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 07:22 PM

Wowzers. That sort of thing scares me. Losing control to that degree must be concerning, at the time. Are you cerebrally impacted or is it only physical?

How is your leg doing, by the way?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5730 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,009 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 07:47 PM

Have you never been drunk, Mike?

#5731 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 07:53 PM

It’s just a pot edible haha. My wife did 80mg by mistake. (When I was recovering from my back injury I bought a lot of miscellaneous product and it was during the Wild West days so it was a chocolate bar that was poorly labeled. She basically turned into a plant for a few hours and I consoled her with orange juice and reminding her it will be over in a few hours. She is more careful to read the labels now. I don’t really do it much though. I prefer the effect from smoking but can’t smoke…
  • Matt R. likes this

#5732 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 08:10 PM

Have you never been drunk, Mike?

Sure. But never had to be consoled with orange juice 🥵
  • dasmo likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5733 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,585 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 08:37 PM

Wowzers. That sort of thing scares me. Losing control to that degree must be concerning, at the time. Are you cerebrally impacted or is it only physical?

How is your leg doing, by the way?

LOL oh very definitely both; makes for a hilarious conversation with five guys in that condition, laughing uncontrollably while trying to play poker, then vainly trying to recall the next morning what the hell was so funny. Sometimes you just gotta let loose and become "un-tight" for a few hours.

The best edible story by far in my past was an infamous party in Kits Point when I lived in Vancouver in the 80's. About forty people were invited, well over 100 showed up. Again I was crashing for the night and while we quaffed beer and prepped food and appy's all afternoon, one of the boys dumped about half an ounce of hash into a Betty Crocker Banana Snak N Cake mix then baked it up. He then served those of us in the inner circle while we awaited the guests.

Of course we were unaware it was hash, we thought it was some lame, benign domestic pot - although the very bright green color should have put us on alert. How often do you see a green banana cake? But nope it was very definitely hash as it turned out. I ate 3 large pieces of the cake and within about 30 minutes that was.....well.....that. There are pics that survive to this day which shall never see the light of said day. Me passed out on the floor with a cigar shoved into each ear, me passed out sitting more or less upright on a couch - propped up that way I presume - with a whiskey bottle balanced on my head. You know the usual stuff that happens when boys are being boys.

The pictures also include however - and I must have achieved some sort of second wind at this point although my memory cells of the event are completely shot - me cavorting with two wholesome young ladies - I have zero recollection who they were but I can say they were extremely cute - splashing in an ornamental fountain in the front yard, overlooking Kits beach, which someone spiked with a whole box of dishwasher soap.

Not entirely sure we were wearing clothes....too hard to see anything through all that soap. Took about three days I heard for the fountain to stop spewing suds. Much later the two lasses kindly accompanied me and several others up onto the Burrard bridge where we happily sat on the divider between the roadway and, the edge of the bridge looking at god knows what although I remember we laughed about it much of the night. Pretty certain we were all clothed at that point. It was grand fun. Today of course two edibles and I'd be asleep before 10pm....

Interestingly today no one in my immediate (boys) circle drinks. Not one of us. Pot, smoked or edibilized in my case, absolutely. Booze, nope.

The leg is what it is Mike; I'm in the gym 3-4x week, I do cardio on the recumbent bike in addition to weights, as "cardio" is one of the main beneficial things I can do for it. The condition is permanent though, there is no surgery to address it. Exercise, eat smart, watch the weight and take the odd edible or two to assist in sleeping. That's the "treatment".

• Mike K. and lanforod like this

#5734 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,009 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 08:42 PM

Sure. But never had to be consoled with orange juice

Oh you can definitely over do it on the edibles but it’s waaaayyyyy better to have too much thc than too much alcohol! Moderation is key in general…

People who OD on thc get a glass of juice and go to bed and wake up refreshed. OD on alcohol you end up vomiting your guts up for hours then have a hangover for 20 hours and wake up feeling like hot garbage or end worse. I know which one I’d prefer.

Edited by Matt R., 29 May 2023 - 08:46 PM.

• Mike K. likes this

#5735 LJ

LJ
  • 12,728 posts

Posted 29 May 2023 - 08:43 PM

The best edible story by far in my past was an infamous party in Kits Point when I lived in Vancouver in the 80's. About forty people were invited, well over 100 showed up. Again I was crashing for the night and while we quaffed beer and prepped food and appy's all afternoon, one of the boys dumped about half an ounce of hash into a Betty Crocker Banana Snak N Cake mix then baked it up. He then served those of us in the inner circle while we awaited the guests.

I had a similar account, but it was brownies that I didn't know were "special".

I have no recollection except laughing uncontrollably. When my wife got me home, apparently the kids were asking her "what's wrong with dad?"

• AllseeingEye likes this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#5736 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,466 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 07:07 AM

To be young and carefree again :)

With alcohol, you know what you’re getting into, each beer stacks up accordingly. With pot, eat the wrong gummy, or smoke the wrong weed, and you can spiral into uncontrollable paranoia with no ability to get a grip on yourself. That’s a terrifying concept to me.
  • spanky123 likes this

Know it all.

#5737 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,009 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 09:31 AM

Reefer madness!! lol

• Mike K., AllseeingEye and Dr. Barillas like this

#5738 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 09:33 AM

That’s the good thing about smoking now. You know exactly what you are smoking. You can choose the effect you want from a menu. Edibles not so much….

#5739 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,337 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 30 May 2023 - 09:35 AM

I thought edibles (from legal sources), were required to have labeling including THC content?

#5740 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 30 May 2023 - 09:43 AM

Sure but nothing about the plant/strain maybe if it’s indica or sativa but that’s it.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users