* * * * * 3 votes

Marijuana/cannabis businesses/dispensaries in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
5815 replies to this topic

#81 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:42 AM

Marijuana cigarettes of the 1980's are a vastly different animal from the marijuana cigarettes of the present day.

Anyways, I've had several friends over the years end up in ER after ingesting marijuana. Ask any ER nurse about the frequency of patients who come through that door after using dope and you might be surprised by the answer. Colorado is now facing a growing rate of children ingesting marijuana and requiring medical aid. Read more about it at http://www.denverpos...ating-marijuana How can anyone possibly be so naive to believe that this stuff is completely harmless?

Look, hats off to you if you want to use it. But if someone wants to run a business selling pot and selling pot edibles society will control what you can and cannot do for the benefit of society. That's why we have those systems in place, to ensure those selling to us are licensed, are aware of health and safety regulations, and practice them. That's how it works in a civil, orderly society like Canada.

The point that I was making is there there is a ridiculous double standard. Until Canada gets its act together, there are going to be people taking advantage.

#82 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,185 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:48 AM

The point that I was making is there there is a ridiculous double standard. Until Canada gets its act together, there are going to be people taking advantage.

Yes, and that double standard is that a dispensary in the City of Victoria can operate as a business without a valid business license and believe that it has the right to do so while making food products without any health regulation oversight whatsoever.

Why can't we sit back and wait a few years to see how Colorado and Washington deal with the kinks they're faced with? Why do we have to rush so damn quickly into this unknown territory and fumble over ourselves time and time again? Wait it out. See what other jurisdictions are doing and tread lightly. There's no shortage whatsoever of pot on our streets so it's not like we're keeping this product out of the hands of people who want or need to use it. 

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#83 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:02 PM

Yes, and that double standard is that a dispensary in the City of Victoria can operate as a business without a valid business license and believe that it has the right to do...

This is what galls me the most. Why should others have to obey the law (i.e. get business licenses) when these folks feel they have a moral right to flaunt it?

#84 Jason-L

Jason-L
  • 1,257 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:08 PM

Isn't that the new business model, though?  Disruptive businesses like Uber and AirBnB and the like are tossing aside outdated concepts like regulation and business licenses in order to bring the new customer what they want?  So why not dispensaries?

#85 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:17 PM

The same set of rules should apply to all.

#86 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,185 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:21 PM

The difference is the dispensary is based and operated out of a physical space within a municipal border. That municipality has direct control over what it can and cannot do as a business. AirBnB, Uber, etc., have no physical presence here other than the individuals who choose to participate in their business offer and the consumers who utilize them.

The City of Victoria can make AirBnB illegal for a non-commercial property, and require commercial properties offering AirBnB services to be licensed for transient use. They could do this tomorrow and that would be the end of AirBnB in Victoria. They enforce such restrictions by cutting access to water and sewer.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#87 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:48 PM

Yes, and that double standard is that a dispensary in the City of Victoria can operate as a business without a valid business license and believe that it has the right to do so while making food products without any health regulation oversight whatsoever.

Why can't we sit back and wait a few years to see how Colorado and Washington deal with the kinks they're faced with? Why do we have to rush so damn quickly into this unknown territory and fumble over ourselves time and time again? Wait it out. See what other jurisdictions are doing and tread lightly. There's no shortage whatsoever of pot on our streets so it's not like we're keeping this product out of the hands of people who want or need to use it.

Do you see our government making strides moving toward what is happen in CO and WA? Quite the opposite. Our government is regressing and attempting to hold back the floodgates.
There is absolutely no reason to believe our government is motivated toward making medically beneficial substance more safely accessible.
In this Information Age, people see the hypocrisy and don't accept rediculous laws that make no logical sense, which has will create a vacuum.

I am not excusing these establishments per se, but what I am saying is No Wonder. No wonder there's a market for this. No wonder there's a new social acceptance for this. And no wonder there are a few people willing to monetize on this trend.
Sure we can wait until CO and WA can iron out the wrinkles. but meanwhile you can't expect others to sit on their hands and do nothing.

#88 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:52 PM

I can expect them not to break the law in running a business.

#89 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,185 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 12:56 PM

Sure we can wait until CO and WA can iron out the wrinkles. but meanwhile you can't expect others to sit on their hands and do nothing.

When it comes to business, either you play by the rules or you don't play. You don't thwart existing regulations because you feel they are inadequate, you work with the municipal government to either arrive at a compromise or help enact new regulations.

Developers can't just start building whatever they want because they own an empty lot and feel there's demand for whatever they're building. There's a planning process, an approvals process, a building permitting process, a regulated construction process and an occupancy permitting process, all done to ensure public safety that we expect as part of a civil and orderly society.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#90 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:03 PM

Once agin, I am not giving these businesses a free pass. I am saying that it's a reaction to the inaction from all levels of government.

#91 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:08 PM

Once agin, I am not giving these businesses a free pass. I am saying that it's a reaction to the inaction from all levels of government.

Where is the government inaction?  There are no shortages with the approved growers.  Register with them and you can start getting your pot by mail right away.

For some reason, people don't want to go that route and these businesses have opened to supply those people. Those people either do not have a prescription to use it, or don't like the price, or the variety, or some combination of those.

• Nparker likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#92 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,185 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:09 PM

Lisa Helps stated on CFAX that the City is more than willing to figure out a gameplan but they need the proprietors to work with them and not just thwart regulations. Right now the City of Victoria is frustrated by the systemic disregard of the City's rules by the majority of these new dispensaries.

Know it all.

#93 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:12 PM

^^There is a lot of money in the marijuana businesses and obviously these businesses are taking advantage of that. Obviously they're not catering to the medical crowd only.

Edited by gumgum, 12 May 2015 - 01:14 PM.

#94 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:12 PM

Until it becomes legalized and regulated, from here on in, stuff like this is going to happen.

Edited by gumgum, 12 May 2015 - 01:13 PM.

#95 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,185 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:18 PM

Exactly, so when stuff like this happens, and the City reacts accordingly, should we be surprised that the City actually reacts accordingly?

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.

#96 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:23 PM

The inaction from the muni so far is probably a reaction to the fact that it might be an exercise in futility.

Meanwhile CO is taxing it at 28%.

#97 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,185 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:26 PM

There's a lot the City can do, but I think they know better than to get all uppity in this particular instance.

Know it all.

#98 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:32 PM

The City of Victoria should stop dithering and do 2 things:

• set an immediate (if interim) standard for the licensing of businesses selling medical marijuana instructing them to operate within all federal, provincial and municipal laws; if need be, licensing costs will be high (pun intended) to ensure compliance
  • immediately force the closure of all businesses operating within the City's jurisdiction that do not have a valid license

Edited by Nparker, 12 May 2015 - 01:33 PM.

• lanforod likes this

#99 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,410 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 01:32 PM

There's a lot the City can do, but I think they know better than to get all uppity in this particular instance.

And by uppity do you mean "high" and mighty?

#100 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:27 PM

^^There is a lot of money in the marijuana businesses and obviously these businesses are taking advantage of that. Obviously they're not catering to the medical crowd only.

Well, there is a secondary industry now, right?  Allowed buyers, that have a prescription, are selling also to friends. 

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users