* * * * * 3 votes

Marijuana/cannabis businesses/dispensaries in Victoria and the south Island

• Please log in to reply
5815 replies to this topic

#101 Greg

Greg
  • 3,362 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:29 PM

When it comes to business, either you play by the rules or you don't play. You don't thwart existing regulations because you feel they are inadequate, you work with the municipal government to either arrive at a compromise or help enact new regulations.

Except that is explicitly not what happens in the drug trade. This isn't just a debate between the ideal and the proposal, it is also a debate between the current actual practice and the proposal. You yourself have said that marijuana is already easily available without these shops. So arguably we are in fact debating between different models of thwarting the rules, one of which is flouting less critical rules, in a less harmful way.

• dasmo likes this

#102 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:43 PM

Well, there is a secondary industry now, right? Allowed buyers, that have a prescription, are selling also to friends.

That is against the rules that are outlined in the contract that the client signs. This contract goes along with a copy of their ID that is kept on file...
What bothers me is a media outlet that just publishes words based on no knowledge whatsoever. At least do some investigation into what's going on.

#103 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:47 PM

Except that is explicitly not what happens in the drug trade. This isn't just a debate between the ideal and the proposal, it is also a debate between the current actual practice and the proposal. You yourself have said that marijuana is already easily available without these shops. So arguably we are in fact debating between different models of thwarting the rules, one of which is flouting less critical rules, in a less harmful way.

I've read this 3 times now and still don't understand.  What's the "proposal"?  Can you re-phrase this somehow?

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#104 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 02:48 PM

Against the rules? Is that the best you can do? I personally know several people who buy off people with a medicinal license.

@Greg, my point is if someone wants to run a "business" and be in accordance with the law, then they need to play by the rules. Otherwise they are essentially a drug dealer doing what the guy on the street corner does.

I can't believe that when it comes to a specific substance society should just throw all the rules out and give these businesses a free ride. A compassion society is one thing, BUSINESS is another.
  • Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#105 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 03:00 PM

what do you mean "the best I can do"? I'm telling you what goes on. You need to get a licence. Then at each dispensary you also sign a contract where you state you will not sell the product you buy. Again, your information is in this contract. Not the best setup for a dealer. Much better to buy anonymously from the guy with the pit-bull and face tattoos. Better margin in it too.

#106 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 03:21 PM

That is against the rules that are outlined in the contract that the client signs...

So it's OK for dispensaries to break the rules (i.e. no business licenses), but their clients are so above board they would never think to profit from re-selling their prescribed marijuana?

#107 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 03:35 PM

I never said that. I said they should abide by the rules (as best they can as an illegal business) and they should be submitted to the same level of enforcement which is little to none....

#108 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 03:48 PM

The good thing is that the majority of Canadians want the laws changed. This sort of civil disobedience is what is needed to make it change...
http://forumresearch...um_Research.pdf

#109 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 03:58 PM

what do you mean "the best I can do"? I'm telling you what goes on. You need to get a licence. Then at each dispensary you also sign a contract where you state you will not sell the product you buy. Again, your information is in this contract. Not the best setup for a dealer. Much better to buy anonymously from the guy with the pit-bull and face tattoos. Better margin in it too.

Do you really think a little contract from a dispensary means anything? Most of the people who I know who buy pot buy it off someone who gets it from a dispensary with a medicinal card. No cops, no concern about the law, just pot from a friend.

Same deal with addictive pills. Kids get legit prescriptions then sell the pills off to others or the whole container to a dealer.

• Nparker likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#110 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 07:52 PM

I have long wondered how people who use pot with a doctors permission fare when trying to get life or long term disability insurance.  Big rating I am guessing plus a whole lot of extra paperwork?  Probably denied?

Matt.

#111 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:10 PM

Insurance agencies should raise premiums on people who abuse sugar, alcahol and cigarettes. The illnesses related to these are a huge burden on our system....

Edited by dasmo, 12 May 2015 - 11:11 PM.

#112 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 12 May 2015 - 11:29 PM

Let's see...
Marijuana:
-can be used to treat and prevent the eye disease
-does not impair lung function and can even increase lung capacity.
-can prevent epileptic seizures
-CBD may help prevent cancer from spreading
-relieves pain and suppresses nausea — the two main reasons it's often used to relieve the side effects of chemotherapy.
-may be able to slow the progression of Alzheimer's disease
-may ease painful symptoms of multiple sclerosis,
-treats inflammatory bowel diseases like Crohn's disease and ulcerative colitis
-alleviates pain, reduces inflammation, and promotes sleep, which may help relieve pain and discomfort for people with rheumatoid arthritis
-used to treat the autoimmune disease Systemic Lupus Ertyhematosus
-been shown to have some positive mental effects, particularly in terms of increasing creativity
-help regulate the system that causes fear and anxiety in the body and brain.(useful for some here)
-may help protect the brain from damage caused by stroke

#113 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,479 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 04:43 AM

Insurance agencies should raise premiums on people who abuse sugar, alcahol and cigarettes. The illnesses related to these are a huge burden on our system....

Lol, because pot smokers don't imbibe in copious amounts of junk food after getting stoned, right?

A little known fact is convenience stores are designed to appeal to pot smokers. Bright, colourful stores with bright and colourful items. A 7/11 is a stoners paradise.

Again, dasmo, what do the benefits of pot have to do with operating a lawful business? Are we going to move from what was an illegal substance to operating illegal businesses because of marijuana's magic cure-all benefits?

Again, I don't care if people smoke it, just run your business legitimitly like the rest if us.

Know it all.

#114 Matt R.

Matt R.

Randy Diamond

• 8,016 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 05:50 AM

They do. Substantially.

Matt.
  • Nparker and Dr. Barillas like this

#115 Dr. Barillas

Dr. Barillas
  • 174 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 10:13 AM

I'll keep having pit bull having face tattoo guy drop it off at my office for a fraction of the price dispensaries are asking. He's a nice guy and I like his entrepreneurial spirit.

"Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died"

#116 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,685 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 12:09 PM

This is about legitimate health care about as much as Coke Zero. http://www.cheknews....-victoria-92686

#117 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 13 May 2015 - 07:55 PM

It's better for you than coke zero that's for sure. Pass the carbonated phosphoric acid, aspartame, potassium benzonate, potassium citrate, acesulfame potassium, caffeine beverage please!

#118 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 18 May 2015 - 10:31 AM

OK, so the pain clinic (with the vending machine) says their stuff is 30% to 40% cheaper than Tilray.

That makes sense, why they are popular.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#119 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 02:13 PM

You will be happy to know that the Green Dragon has a business licence!

#120 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 19 May 2015 - 08:43 PM

Could be worse in Vic :)  , saw this on Reddit today from R/Vancouver

http://i.imgur.com/B5wmtmS.jpg

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users