The Duke Saloon | Victoria | 502 Discovery Street

• Please log in to reply
76 replies to this topic

#61 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,242 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:22 PM

I get it Mike. I really do. In the CCC case even. I respected your request in that thread even though I had HUGE reservations and suspicions about the dev and developers. Maybe one day you will have the resources for in depth reporting. It is a dying art after all. I think you guys do a great job of running this site and think you made the right move in that thread... For the sake of VV... And that is all I am saying. I would expect you guys to operate with the best interests of VV as your top priority. I don't see that as sneaky or morally wrong. It's your baby, it's natural.  In my eyes this is a "media outlet" and I am equally skeptical of all things I read in the media. I have been subject matter in the media and know that they certainly get details wrong and don't really care too much about truth... Doesn't mean I don't read and consume it. I just do it with a healthy skepticism.

• Mike K. likes this

#62 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 12:52 PM

Even if Mike and VHF are on the Drake payroll then the maximum investment you are making is your time to check the place out and form your own opinion.

I agree with Mike in that they reno'd the place extremely quickly and I give them props for that.

#63 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:12 PM

^^cool.

And yeah, it's a nice place, definitely an up-scale approach to a club which we haven't seen here before.

• OSJ likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#64 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 25 August 2014 - 01:21 PM

Victoria puts big money into bars/pubs, not nightclubs.  Most are in decrepit basements or run down spaces that no knows what else to do with.  I understand not putting much money into a place that's quite dark most of the times and people are spilling their drinks and sometimes guts all over the place, but it would be nice to see someone raise the bar a bit with a classy establishment.  Maybe if the Drake is successful it will drive improvement.  I'd like to see a club with where in addition to the dance floor you had a smaller room type areas where you could actually hear each other and have a conversation. But then again I'm not a young kid and I don't dance! 

#65 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 03:07 PM

Joel is a great operator and The Duke will be around for many years. I haven't been yet, but it is on the list for the next night out with the boys.

Are we all invited ?

#66 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 25 August 2014 - 06:10 PM

Welcome to the forum SimonH.

#67 scoughman

scoughman
  • 20 posts

Posted 26 August 2014 - 01:27 PM

I believe one of the other EAT web writers will have a full review of this spot up on the next few weeks, so keep an eye out. Should have some nice photos and an idea of the drink options, etc. Looks nice enough to me, but any appreciation I had for country was beaten out of me by repeated trips to Edmonton as a kid.

#68 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 30 August 2014 - 09:31 PM

Things are hopping at Duke tonight.

Duke2.jpg

#69 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,188 posts

Posted 31 August 2014 - 10:21 AM

Geez, Sparky gets around.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#70 qwerty

qwerty
  • 29 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 08:25 AM

The Duke jeep passed me on the Malahat last night going way over the speed limit and driving like an idiot.

What I don't get is why you would put your business name on your vehicle and then drive like an asshole?

#71 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 09:22 AM

I dunno. Sounds like clever guerrilla marketing to me.

How else would the owner of a country bar drive?

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#72 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 September 2014 - 09:29 AM

Ya, I was going to say, probably not too bad publicity for a country bar.

Dukes_of_Hazzard-03.jpg

If it was a daycare vehicle, maybe not so much.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#73 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:21 PM

So there's a mechanical bull there now? Or has there been since the beginning? A galpal is trying it out this weekend.

#74 pontcanna

pontcanna
  • 4,364 posts

Posted 15 September 2014 - 07:36 PM

Just read the EAT magazine piece. Must say this impresses me and makes me want to head over at opening time Thursday (before the youngsters take over):

"Hoyne, Phillips, Driftwood, Lighthouse, and Red Truck Brewery from Vancouver are all on tap and always available. Beer Hall Thursdays include sleeves for $4.75."

dukes_zps0468f204.jpg

#75 Darren14

Darren14
  • 182 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 11:04 AM

With the grocery store behind the Duke closing, i'd be shocked if they don't expand. I know they've always wanted to add a kitchen. 

#76 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 11:50 AM

The guy with the original vision, Joel Friesen, has moved on (to used luxury car sales) so I'm not sure if the drive is still there.  It still has pretty limited hours (10-2 Thursday, 8-2 Fr & Sat).

Edited by VicHockeyFan, 12 June 2017 - 11:53 AM.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#77 Darren14

Darren14
  • 182 posts

Posted 12 June 2017 - 12:01 PM

The guy with the original vision, Joel Friesen, has moved on (to used luxury car sales) so I'm not sure if the drive is still there.  It still has pretty limited hours (10-2 Thursday, 8-2 Fr & Sat).

oh wow... i had no idea that Joel had moved on. 

I was a regular for the first couple years, but haven't been in awhile 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users