Oak Bay Crime

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#1 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:06 AM

Since the issue of crime in neighbourhoods other than Oak Bay is so pervasive, I figure why not keep a tab on what's going on behind the tweed curtain with the Oak Bay PD's convenient crime maps. Take it as you will, either to expose just how ridiculous the presence of a separate force for Oak Bay is, or that despite the assertions, B&E's, theft from vehicles and other urban issues do regularly extend to this part of the city despite efforts to pretend like crime is somebody else's problem.

Here are the two latest maps. You'll note on the map website only the most recent map is posted and older maps are removed.

March 2014

Oak-Bay-crime-map-March-2014.jpg

'

April 2014

post-3-0-85041900-1402591668.jpg

• Mr_E_Squirrel likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:24 AM

Must be faulty maps you got there chief. Everyone knows that the criminals stop at Foul Bay road because they have such respect for the high property values in OB.

#3 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 11:39 AM

Whoah stunning rise in mischief from the March to April period there.

Extrapolating this trend shows that by the end of 2015 Oak Bay will be swamped with mischief the likes of which have never been seen! 

Just shows what everyone knows, the area is going downhill for sure.

Untitled.png

#4 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 12:39 PM

Lol. Speaking of mischief, what in the world does that even mean? Like kids loitering outside the skating rink or throwing water balloons at passing vehicles? That sort of stuff?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#5 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 02:17 PM

Oak Bay, so probably "existing while under 70."

• Mike K. likes this

#6 David Bratzer

David Bratzer
  • 516 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:05 PM

Lol. Speaking of mischief, what in the world does that even mean? Like kids loitering outside the skating rink or throwing water balloons at passing vehicles? That sort of stuff?

Mischief (section 430 of the Criminal Code) can be a bunch of things, but usually it involves damaging property (smashing a window, keying the side of a car, graffiti, etc).

A person can also be charged for mischief if they interfere "with the lawful use, enjoyment or operation of property". An example of this would be if someone kept hosting out-of-control parties, making life miserable for their neighbours, eventually they could be charged with mischief.

There is another offence, called Public Mischief (section 140 of the Criminal Code) which is basically when someone deliberately causes a police officer (or any peace officer) to enter into a false investigation.

• Mike K. and Bingo like this

#7 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 12 June 2014 - 04:37 PM

Oak Bay is so British they need to bring in ASBOs.  You know, because loitering teenagers are such a problem.

• Mike K. likes this

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#8 phx

phx
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:24 PM

Mike, just get over it and move to Oak Bay.  You know you want to. :muching_out:

#9 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 09:45 PM

Too much mischief. I'm staying put.

Know it all.

#10 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:25 AM

In all truth thou I think people in Oak Bay phone over the slightest infraction.  A friend of mine parked in front of someones house in Oak Bay and the person in the house called the cops and they actually responded so is that "mischief"?

I got a parking ticket last year in Oak Bay and of course just ignored it.  Earlier this year I got a call from Oak Bay Police wanting to see me about it.  They came by to personally serve me the ticket again.  I told them I know you are doing your job, but don't you have better things to be doing?  He wasn't happy about spending his day delivering parking tickets either and agreed with me completely

Also what exactly is a "motor vehicle incident" that sounds like a car accident to me as there is a category already "theft from vehicle"

#11 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:33 AM

I got a parking ticket last year in Oak Bay and of course just ignored it.

I remember rjag was commenting on parking in his area one day.  Apparently the parking regs in his neighbourhood are such that his daughter's friend can't drive to his house, park on the street and go for a walk with the dog.  Whoever is parking on the road must remain at the house they're visiting.

Any truth to what I've heard about not being allowed to park an RV in your driveway in Oak Bay? 

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#12 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:36 AM

Any truth to what I've heard about not being allowed to park an RV in your driveway in Oak Bay? 

Or your boat.

#13 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 June 2014 - 08:37 AM

Or your boat.

Seriously?  Yikes. 

I had a quick look through the Oak Bay bylaws and didn't see this but I believe you.

#14 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:46 AM

We had a friend in oak bay who wasn't rich but lived in a smaller duxplex mostly surrounded by mansions and higher-end homes.  She drove a slightly beat up old subaru station wagon.  Old but ran fine and got her where she needed to go.

One day she found a note on her car.  It was an extremely passive-aggressive message informing her that her house clearly has a nice garage and maybe she should keep her car off the street and safely tucked away in the garage.  They kept their bikes, scooter, and small car in the garage so there was no room.  She ignored the letter.

About a week later she found another note.  This time more aggressive.  Outright accused her of hurting the property values of the neighbourhood by parking her junky car in plain sight and demanded she expand her garage or switch cars as the car in the garage was nicer (which is why it lived in the garage!).

She of course shook her head and rolled her eyes at how insane oak bay residents can be and just kept ignoring the request.

Finally one day the police show up saying there was a report of an abandoned vehicle in front of her house and they wanted to confirm.  The plate matched that it belonged to a resident (resident only parking) but the police said they got so many complaints recently about an "abandoned rusty broken car" that they finally just went out to check on it.  The police laughed after seeing the car in fine condition and confirmed that it can drive.  The cops apologized for subjecting her and said it wasn't the first time they've been called for cases like this.  They even warned that she should keep her eye on a car lest her neighbours escalate to slashing her tires or keying it and to keep the notes she's been left.

• sebberry likes this
"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#15 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:52 AM

Yup, issues like that are quite common from what I've heard.

Know it all.

#16 aastra

aastra
  • 20,570 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:46 AM

Seriously though, that stuff happens everywhere, in all cities in all neighbourhoods. Some people just like to become fixated on trivialities. Why is that guy's shirt so colourful? I see him wearing that annoying colourful shirt several times per month. I'm going to make it my mission to give that guy grief for wearing that annoying colourful shirt. And so forth.

Edit: Correction, they don't necessarily LIKE to become fixated on trivialities, but for whatever reason they just can't help but become fixated on trivialities.

Edited by aastra, 13 June 2014 - 11:50 AM.

#17 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:57 AM

We had a friend in oak bay who wasn't rich but lived in a smaller duxplex mostly surrounded by mansions and higher-end homes.  She drove a slightly beat up old subaru station wagon.  Old but ran fine and got her where she needed to go.

One day she found a note on her car.  It was an extremely passive-aggressive message informing her that her house clearly has a nice garage and maybe she should keep her car off the street and safely tucked away in the garage.  They kept their bikes, scooter, and small car in the garage so there was no room.  She ignored the letter.

About a week later she found another note.  This time more aggressive.  Outright accused her of hurting the property values of the neighbourhood by parking her junky car in plain sight and demanded she expand her garage or switch cars as the car in the garage was nicer (which is why it lived in the garage!).

She of course shook her head and rolled her eyes at how insane oak bay residents can be and just kept ignoring the request.

Finally one day the police show up saying there was a report of an abandoned vehicle in front of her house and they wanted to confirm.  The plate matched that it belonged to a resident (resident only parking) but the police said they got so many complaints recently about an "abandoned rusty broken car" that they finally just went out to check on it.  The police laughed after seeing the car in fine condition and confirmed that it can drive.  The cops apologized for subjecting her and said it wasn't the first time they've been called for cases like this.  They even warned that she should keep her eye on a car lest her neighbours escalate to slashing her tires or keying it and to keep the notes she's been left.

Brutal, but reminds me of the attitude there from all my time there.

#18 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:15 PM

Or your boat.

And don't even think of trying to get a 'residents parking' sticker for your commercial vehicle as you aren't allowed to park those on the street overnight.

House across the street from ours received a ticket for not cutting their lawn......

#19 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 12:47 PM

Hold on a sec, not cutting their lawn?

• rjag likes this

Know it all.

#20 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 13 June 2014 - 01:23 PM

Hold on a sec, not cutting their lawn?

Worried about getting a ticket for making too much noise with the mower.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users