Oak Bay Crime

• Please log in to reply
110 replies to this topic

#41 concorde

concorde
  • Banned
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 04:41 PM

I'd rather live next to someone like that who isn't going to be bothered by me doing some noisy work around my house once in a while, or heaven forbid do an oil change in my driveway than across from some old busybody who will call the municipality when my grass gets longer than 2.1"

I've lived in Oak Bay for most of my life.  No one bothers you when you are doing some noisy work around the house.  I used to change the oil in my car when I knew what I was looking at under the hood (that has been a very long time).  No one bothers you about grass that is 2.1", now a foot would be a problem just like it would be in Victoria

There, some interesting facts about behind the tweet curtain

I've never seen an excavator parked on someone's property in Victoria. Work trucks, who cares.

What is becoming an issue where I live is non-residents are starting to drop off their cars and walk downtown or to the offices in the neighborhood, making parking a little tricky sometimes.

I said I saw excavators in Saanich, the lots in Victoria aren't big enough to store excavators.  What would you say if you had a yellow beast next to your house?

Parking, well that comes natural with living within walking distance to town

#42 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 05:11 PM

The City of Victoria has no authority whatsoever over people's yards, I don't think.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#43 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 06:02 PM

They do if you have a load of garbage piled high in yoru yards and years of complaintes by people. Just like any other municipality if you refuse to clean it or it becomes a hazrd the City can clean it for you and add the cost onto yoru property tax bill

#44 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:01 PM

We're talking about flora though, not refuse. Refuse piling up would definitely be removed in any municipality.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#45 phx

phx
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:45 PM

I expect all municipalities will mow your lawn for you, if you don't.

We're talking about flora though, not refuse. Refuse piling up would definitely be removed in any municipality.

Edited by phx, 19 June 2014 - 07:46 PM.

#46 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 07:53 PM

Is that for real? They'll actually bring their equipment onto your property and mow the grass in your backyard?

Know it all.

#47 phx

phx
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:22 PM

Absolutely.

I don't know what they charge as I've always mowed my lawn.

#48 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:38 PM

I assume this is complaint based?

Know it all.

#49 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 08:47 PM

I see that the City of Victoria refers only to weeds as far as flora goes. They do not refer specifically to lawns or grass, although there is a point regarding "unsightliness," which is pretty arbitrary.

Know it all.

#50 phx

phx
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:01 PM

I assume this is complaint based?

I believe so. 

There is a property in my 'hood that the municipality has been mowing periodically for years now.

#51 phx

phx
  • 1,842 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:06 PM

I see that the City of Victoria refers only to weeds as far as flora goes. They do not refer specifically to lawns or grass, although there is a point regarding "unsightliness," which is pretty arbitrary.

There was an item in the news a while back about a property in Victoria where the plants were overgrown and blocking the sidewalk.  The city sent a notice to the owner to prune the plants, which they didn't do, so the city sent a crew out to do it.

The owner had the nerve to send a whiny letter to the TC when they got the bill!

#52 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 82,943 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:13 PM

Now that's not very neighbourly. I've heard of people purposefully not cutting their lawns, they seem to like the look of a "grassland" rather than a manicured shaved green space. I don't know if the City ever came to their property to mow their lawn but then they did take care of their garden so perhaps no complaints were ever received.

But hey, you learn something new every day. I would have never expected a municipality (outside of Oak Bay, of course ;)) to come to your house and prune your weeds.

Know it all.

#53 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,502 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 19 June 2014 - 09:26 PM

I've known Saanich to do it too.  Complaint based, but the place was looking like a shack in the woods, not a house on a street.

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#54 BlueInk

BlueInk
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:00 PM

I think the person is given ten days or so to clean it up. The owner can appeal like what happened a few years back with the person trying to restore some native species on her property. If the order is upheld and city crews clean it up. The owner gets the invoice for full costs. Think if they dont pay it appears on their tax bill. I believe in some cases the fire department can even weigh-in if its a hazard.

#55 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:05 PM

The City of Victoria would have to have a full time team to tackle my neighbourhood alone. I call BS.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#56 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:24 PM

I think Oak Bay should clean up this property

https://www.oakbay.c...ve-plant-garden

Its a real eyesore when you drive past it on Beach Drive

Native-Plant-Garden.jpg?itok=sbRmLPQy

#57 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 10:40 PM

In January 2008 this boat dragged its anchor during a sou' easter and ended up on the beach west of the Oak Bay Marina. The owner took over a month to attempt to salvage the boat by taking it apart on the beach. More recently the municipality removed derelict boats that were anchored in the same bay near the marina.

2Fishboataground.jpg

That is the fuel tanking floating in the water at the right, and it is tied to the wreckage.

Boatnolonger.jpg

#58 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 19 June 2014 - 11:00 PM

Well its a good thing he took control of it and removed it little by little others would not have .

#59 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,786 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 08:31 PM

This is city of Victoria property by my house. Obviously they don't care about grass height.

IMG_20140621_212147.jpg

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#60 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 09:01 PM

^Although you must admit that the fence height bylaw is so strict, you were forced to add enough dirt so that legal-height fence was several inches higher.

"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users