Posted 07 July 2014 - 08:08 AM

That's just stupid.

#82 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 08 August 2014 - 12:22 PM

Call the Oak Bay SWAT team, someone received a scam email!

Oak Bay police warn of phoney iTunes emails

Oak Bay police are cautioning people about a scam involving emails allegedly from iTunes.

The emails come in the form of a bill for music or movies purchased from the iTunes online store. Do not click on the link embedded in the email, police warn. -

[...]

See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.RnMSS4ko.dpuf

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

Victoria webcams: Big Wave Dave Webcams

#83 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:11 PM

Is that the team that shows up with one of these????

free-vector-fly-swatter-clip-art_106126_

• Nparker and todd like this

#84 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 02:35 PM

Call the Oak Bay SWAT team, someone received a scam email!

See more at: http://www.timescolo...h.RnMSS4ko.dpuf

Police knew immediately it was a scam because the music purchased was all newer than 20 years and actual Oak Bay music fans would never buy anything so recent.

• Nparker likes this
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#85 ZGsta

ZGsta
  • 573 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 04:02 PM

Hahahahaha, Oak Bay residents don't use computers!

#86 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 05:19 PM

That is embarrassing is what it is.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#87 Kikadee

Kikadee
  • 247 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:30 AM

That is embarrassing is what it is.

My Mom (mid-60s) phoned me in a panic when she got this iTunes email. "But I don't even use iTunes! What do I do!?" I can definitely imagine someone phoning the police for guidance.

#88 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:43 AM

Can you imagine the hysteria today? The streets must look like Watts during the riots.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#89 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:45 AM

That what?

Victoria current weather by neighbourhood: Victoria school-based weather station network

#90 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:47 AM

Fixed.

Know it all.

#91 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 August 2014 - 07:51 AM

Methinks you were a bit flustered trying to quickly pay (and hide) that Justin Bieber bill from iTunes that came in your email :P

#92 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:52 AM

It was the police road block leading into Oak Bay that got me all worked up. They wanted to confiscate my iPod but luckily a cat in distress call came in and off they went.

Know it all.

#93 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 09 August 2014 - 09:26 AM

The number of Justin Bieber songs you have on your iPod directly correlates to the level of risk you pose to the community. 

#94 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 10 August 2014 - 08:59 PM

I've moved the discussion on police staffing and salaries to a new thread here: http://vibrantvictor...ary-discussion/

#95 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 03 September 2014 - 02:30 PM

I reported somewhere on this site last week about a business called THE WHOLE BEAST on Oak Bay Ave a butcher shop that shares its location with the VILLAGE BUTCHER

Last week it had its front door glass smashed in and someone helped themselves to the cash register

2 days ago they returned but becasue the Whole Beast has plywood over its door covering the void where the glass was....theives smashed the front door of the Village Butcher shop to gain access to ...once again....the WHOLE BEAST where they removed the complete safe.

Apparently the theives left behind some blood this time.

#96 sebberry

sebberry

Resident Housekeeper

• 21,507 posts
  • LocationVictoria

Posted 27 December 2015 - 09:22 AM

Goods worth $25,000 stolen from Uplands home: police

Thieves cleared an Uplands home of about $25,000 worth of electronics, watches and purses on Christmas Eve.

Oak Bay police say the family left the Lansdowne Road home about 4 p.m. Thursday. When they returned at 7 p.m., several items were missing, said Sgt. Ray Maxwell.

[...]

http://www.timescolo...olice-1.2140379

#97 todd

todd
  • 12,593 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 02:37 PM

Is that the team that shows up with one of these????

free-vector-fly-swatter-clip-art_106126_

Really Oak Bay Block Watch just gets together and forms a lynch mob.

#98 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 04 June 2022 - 10:41 AM

Oak Bay ban on gas equipment impractical

Oak Bay Coun. Tara Ney rallies up the South Oak Bay Garden Gnome Guild, waves a petition of 700 signatures (of unknown origin) at a population of 19,000, promotes a ban on gas-powered lawn equipment, and the Oak Bay council ­collapses like a cheap tent and leaves the constituents of North Oak Bay in the lurch.

Battery-driven equipment and rakes are fine if you have a postage-stamp lot, but totally impractical in the large oak-tree-dominated lots of North Oak Bay. Raking leaves all day every day during the fall rather than running a gas blower for 20 minutes twice a week to clean them up is just stupid. Cutting a large lawn with a battery-powered lawn mower that sputters out every 20 minutes and needs recharging is both impractical and silly, unless one has nothing but time on their hands.

This tempest started with a noise complaint, so why not just ban lawn equipment use after 4 or 5 p.m. I guess that’s not good enough in this age of local councils preferring to ignore the majority of their constituents in favour of greasing the wheels of a minority that supports their cause.

This authoritarian decision will take a toll on the landscapers who ply their trade in Oak Bay, and one would be foolish to simply accept that battery-powered equipment will get better and less expensive. As for cord power, who wants to drag a cord around a large, unorthodox lot? That can be dangerous. Go green electric if you want to, and maybe invest in the slave trade associated with lithium mining while you are at it. Nothing hypocritical about that.

I am aware this is a First World problem; however, I now know who not to vote for in the next municipal election. As Trudeau the elder tried to say, the state has no business in the garden beds of the nation. Take heed, Oak Bay council.

Barrie Moen
Oak Bay

https://www.timescol...-market-5443953

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 04 June 2022 - 10:41 AM.

#99 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 04 June 2022 - 10:46 AM

As Trudeau the elder tried to say, the state has no business in the garden beds of the nation.

That was then, this is now. The enlightened 21st-century state now demands to know what's going on in your flower beds.

Anyway, methinks there's a simple solution to this issue that every level of government would enthusiastically support: chop down all the oak trees.

#100 aastra

aastra
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 04 June 2022 - 10:47 AM

And also spend a few bucks on some strategically located plaques, to inform people about the trees that used to be there.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users