Photo

Zoning/Bylaw Question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 07:37 PM

I had a question about zoning bylaws in Victoria that I hoped someone here could shed some light on so we can spend the weekend possibly designing a shed.

I understand the basic zoning of the lot in question, and I understand the accessory building bylaws.  My question is does an existing detached garage count as an accessory building?  Schedule F says the building can be up to 35 square meters, but is this minus the existing garage?  Or can you keep building accessory buildings up to this size so long as you can fit them in your back yard and not go over the maximum site coverage or setbacks?

The basic situation is that it's a house that backs onto a tiny semi-private lane.  All the houses along the lane have detached garages almost on the lot line.  The garages are fairly small, barely space for a single car.  My friend wants a little shed for storage tucked into the corner of his lot.  

The bylaw also mentions that if there is a "flanking road" the building must be 3.5m or what ever the front yard setback is, which ever is greater.  If we interpreted this tiny lane as a "flanking road" then none of the garages or any sort of accessory buildings could possibly fit as if you applied the front yard set back to the back yards there would be no space at all.

If anyone has any insights into this or has gone through building something similar I'd love to hear your experiences.  

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#2 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,139 posts

Posted 13 June 2014 - 10:18 PM

Which jurisdiction is the property located in?

#3 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 10:55 AM

His first sentence says in Victoria.....

#4 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,139 posts

Posted 14 June 2014 - 11:20 AM

Doh !  :)

#5 Linear Thinker

Linear Thinker
  • 522 posts
  • LocationWork from home, Live in Fairfield

Posted 14 June 2014 - 01:36 PM

I don't specifically know the answers to your questions, but it sounds like something that would go through the Board of Variance.

Have a read of the Sept 24, 2013 minutes in the Archived Minutes.

There's an example of non conforming accessory buildings in there.

This should give you an idea of what might be considered in approving your proposal.

Curious what a "semi-private" lane is.

Would it not be either public or private?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users