Photo

Sult Pierogi Bar | Victoria | 600-block of Yates Street

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#21 VicBooster

VicBooster
  • 200 posts

Posted 22 May 2015 - 09:58 PM

If the Local renovation cost $1 million one can only imagine what Mike Murphy spent on his new Pescatores trifecta.

#22 Dexter

Dexter
  • 606 posts

Posted 23 July 2015 - 09:25 PM

If we can go by Facebook postings, Sult should be up and running in August. Might qualify for the longest build out ever?

#23 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 24 July 2015 - 07:14 AM

Definitely a contender, that's for sure. That place that recently opened on Herald is up there as well.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#24 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 06:11 AM

Open, or close?  Come on Sult, your own domain name with forwarding is only $9.95.  And it's Sundays, not Sunday's.

https://www.facebook.../Sultpierogibar

11896169_872186596193270_565280062404653

• Dr. Barillas likes this
<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#25 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 10:21 AM

www.facebook.com/Sultpierogibar

Will be soft opening in two weeks or less.

<p><span style="font-size:12px;"><em><span style="color:rgb(40,40,40);font-family:helvetica, arial, sans-serif;">"I don’t need a middle person in my pizza slice transaction" <strong>- zoomer, April 17, 2018</strong></span></em></span>

#26 JamesBayRay

JamesBayRay
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 August 2015 - 12:13 PM

From what I have heard through the local chatter lines, these guys were delayed by a combination of 'slow to get' city permits, interior planning/design delays, contractor delays as a result, etc. I suppose once monetarily invested to a certain degree in some of the above services, it seems like bad idea to jump to another contractor, then you get so far behind the dollar as the delays go on it becomes less viable to make a move as they are looking from the outside in and not wanting to start from scratch.. Coupled with the cost of commercial rentals in the downtown core it is no wonder they end up 300K in the hole before even opening. Sad but true and of course if they want to go after some contracter that wasted their time, that will cost legal fee's which they clearly don't have anymore.

Let's hope for their sake that the food is good (the prices should draw the lunch crowd) and that they can sell beer/wine/cider

No kidding about the domain name. I found this post as the top hit when I was searching for some info on their opening... not everyone uses Facebook!

#27 eyeonvictoria

eyeonvictoria
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 August 2015 - 08:44 PM

This is absolutely crazy, get two stainless tables,a hot plate, a pot for water and you are in the perogie business. Perhaps splurge on a rolling pin and a fork. Blowing through over $300,000 of mommy's money for an ego boost is crazy. Any true Polish person would have been open in two weeks with less than $20,000 spent. They will never see their money again, a small joint like this might net $30,000 a year "if" the food is good. They could have bought Skinny Tato on Johnson for about $50,000 and been open immediately with a client base. A good business person would have checked on the competition and seen that they were for sale, or cheat like the Hungry Rooster and sell Sysco perogies.
  • Matt R. and Dr. Barillas like this

#28 JamesBayRay

JamesBayRay
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:12 PM

Apparently they can't open this week because VIHA rejected their license due to the bar lights not being bright enough. What a joke VIHA can be.

#29 JamesBayRay

JamesBayRay
  • 66 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:13 PM

This is absolutely crazy, get two stainless tables,a hot plate, a pot for water and you are in the perogie business. Perhaps splurge on a rolling pin and a fork. Blowing through over $300,000 of mommy's money for an ego boost is crazy. Any true Polish person would have been open in two weeks with less than $20,000 spent. They will never see their money again, a small joint like this might net $30,000 a year "if" the food is good. They could have bought Skinny Tato on Johnson for about $50,000 and been open immediately with a client base. A good business person would have checked on the competition and seen that they were for sale, or cheat like the Hungry Rooster and sell Sysco perogies.

Perhaps you also have personal beef with the owner judging by the tone....

#30 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 04:16 PM

Perhaps you also have personal beef with the owner judging by the tone....

Yes, and post count.
  • JamesBayRay likes this

#31 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:22 PM

But what's the chance they're actually going to make that back selling perogies?  That's quite the hole to start off with, and i bet most of the assets after they're done will have low residual value.

I'm a pessimist...

#32 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 09 September 2015 - 08:25 PM

Dozens of places come and go every year.  Then again, hole-in-the-wall places like Pags, Floyd's, John's Place have lasted forever, and recently Jam and Shine etc. strive.

That's the way it is.

EDIT:  places that are porogies or limited food based might last less long.  ie. Tim Hortons is not just a donut place anymore.

#33 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 07:31 AM

EDIT:  places that are porogies or limited food based might last less long.  ie. Tim Hortons is not just a donut place anymore.

Yeah, look at all the cupcake places that have come and gone.

I love perogies, but they're not really an every day kind of thing.

#34 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 07:34 AM

There's a phenomenal late-nite pierogi place in downtown Bellingham. If these guys can do what they're doing down there, we could have a winner.
  • Dr. Barillas likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#35 JamesBayRay

JamesBayRay
  • 66 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 11:03 AM

Menu doesnt look like a traditional perogi style. Far from it. I see some interesting ideas and some non-perogi choices. Prices are decent, which should draw a lunch or late night crowd.  I for one am looking forward to this. I have never found a good perogi in VIctoria, with the exception of Love Perogy truck who is pretty good but not exactly ukranian style either, just a delicious bacon/onion/cheddar fix. Personally don't fnd the Hungry Rooster to be all that good but I have eaten there a few times.. not bad, just not 'WOW' -- If Sult can 'WOW!' us and serve us a tasty Phillips or similar at the same time, they might just make it especially if they can provide an appealing late night atmosphere... I have yet to find a really good perogi in Canada outside of Grand Forks or Winnipeg to be honest :farmer:

Edited by JamesBayRay, 10 September 2015 - 11:05 AM.

#36 Dr. Barillas

Dr. Barillas
  • 174 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 12:13 PM

No simple sauerkraut pierogi? Come on.

"Never go to a doctor whose office plants have died"

#37 JamesBayRay

JamesBayRay
  • 66 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 04:37 PM

So they opened. Anyone try it yet?

#38 Mr_E_Squirrel

Mr_E_Squirrel
  • 589 posts

Posted 24 September 2015 - 04:08 PM

It is open but I did not try it. Looks nice inside and Menu is better than I was expecting

#39 studentlife21

studentlife21
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 12:20 PM

actually here. right now! and he food tastes.good!

#40 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,173 posts

Posted 08 October 2015 - 09:13 AM

Today is National Pierogi/Periogy Day in the US!

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users