Legato
Uses: condo, commercial
Address: 960 Yates Street
Municipality: Victoria
Region: Downtown Victoria
Storeys: 17
Condo units: (1BR, 2BR, 3BR, penthouse)
Sales status: sold out / resales only
Legato is an 88-unit, 17-storey condo tower with ground floor commercial space at 960 Yates Street in downtown... (view full profile)
Learn more about Legato on Citified.ca      Official website: legatovictoria.com
Photo

[Downtown] Legato | Condos; commercial | 17-storeys | Complete - built in 2018

• Please log in to reply
664 replies to this topic

#101 2F2R

2F2R
  • 673 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 07:26 AM

I think the photo like rendering a few posts back looks fantastic. I sure hope it goes ahead and goes up. If it was up to me I would like to work with the developer and see if we could get a few floors added and speed up the start date ...

#102 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:05 AM

Not crazy about the earth tones color scheme, but overall I think it looks really good.

There's really not much to quibble about on this one. This is basically the Era with a slightly different color pattern, a different roofline and without the heritage facade.

• Height is good (although at some point we're going to need some taller buildings that stand out a bit downtown).
  • Density is good.
  • It looks good and certainly has a very non-confrontational design.
  • It's not replacing a building with any sort of value as a heritage piece.
  • There are no NIMBYs on Yates that will try to shut this thing down.
  • It'll add residents downtown (erm Harris Green...close enough). This is something the City has been talking about enabling for years.
  • Yates is a transit corridor.
  • Yates is a big wide street that will have no problem in reality or from the fear mongers in terms of handling the slight increase in traffic resulting from this building.
  • This lot itself is about as uncontroversial as we'll get in Victoria. There are no close neighbors to complain about losing views, etc.

If the City of Victoria can't get this thing approved and all permits issued in a timely manner, all hope is lost

• Baro, Nparker, 2F2R and 1 other like this

#103 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 11:30 AM

When I was at the neighbourhoood open-house for this project a few months back there was certainly a group of residents of the Manhattan building who were opposed to this (citing increased traffic, loss of views). I don't think there's anything they can do about it though as I think the city will basically rubber-stamp approval as the design is within zoning.

#104 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 11:31 AM

When you say within, are they building below what is allotted in terms of height?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#105 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 11:34 AM

The building is at the height limit, 50 m

#106 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 11:41 AM

Dylan is right - max height is 50m. The density allowed at this site is 5.5:1 (this is a bonus density area).

See page 89 for max height and page 39 for max density. http://www.victoria....CP_book_web.pdf

Edit: It's sad looking at this plan that we're unlikely to see any buildings approach the maximum allowed height in the city of 72m (approx 25 residential floors). The only possible sites as per the plan are the Jawl's site on Pandora, which is going to be below the maximum height allowed and the Hudosn site.

Edited by jonny, 01 December 2014 - 11:43 AM.

#107 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 11:41 AM

When I was at the neighbourhoood open-house for this project a few months back there was certainly a group of residents of the Manhattan building who were opposed to this (citing increased traffic, loss of views). I don't think there's anything they can do about it though as I think the city will basically rubber-stamp approval as the design is within zoning.

If the design is completely within zoning, the city MUST approve a building permit.

• Mr Cook Street likes this

#108 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 11:42 AM

Is that right, hey? So it basically comes down to the design panel signing off?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#109 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 11:50 AM

Any idea of a time frame for this?

#110 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,409 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 11:50 AM

When I was at the neighbourhood open-house for this project a few months back there was certainly a group of residents of the Manhattan building who were opposed to this...

Are NIMBYs from elsewhere drawn to Victoria or do they just become that way once in here? If this project were proposed for the Sands Funeral building directly adjacent to my condo, I'd be jumping for joy.

#111 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 11:59 AM

Lots of potential for this area with Chard's parking lot on Yates, the parking lot across the street from Chard's by Sugar and the McCall's lot. All three of those are big lots, and could be two buildings each. There could easily be another 1,000 residents within a block of each other when these properties are finally developed.

• Mr Cook Street likes this

#112 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 12:25 PM

The McCall lot might just turn out that way, jonny ;)

Know it all.

#113 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:16 PM

Is that right, hey? So it basically comes down to the design panel signing off?

If you are within a DPA, then you have to follow that procedure too.

#114 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:21 PM

The McCall lot might just turn out that way, jonny ;)

Sounds like you know something!

#115 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 01:57 PM

Yes, but unfortunately I can't get into any further details.

Know it all.

#116 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 02:20 PM

Yes, but unfortunately I can't get into any further details.

The fact that there is something is wonderful news in itself.

• Mike K. likes this

#117 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 03:07 PM

This is my neighbourhood and I'm looking forward to it.  That side of yates is a bit dead, it could be something better than set-back condo driveways and single story retail.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#118 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 09:17 PM

When you hear of these open houses, do you mind sharing them with the group (this and other projects) - I'd love to attend.

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

#119 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 10:50 PM

OK.

It was posted earlier in the thread - http://vibrantvictor...posed/?p=225208

#120 Mixed365

Mixed365
  • 1,042 posts

Posted 01 December 2014 - 11:01 PM

OK.

It was posted earlier in the thread - http://vibrantvictor...posed/?p=225208

HAHA ahh that is a little embarrassing on my part as I clearly responded to the invitation! Memory is fading I suppose. 

• jonny likes this

“To understand cities, we have to deal outright with combinations or mixtures of uses, not separate uses, as the essential phenomena.”
- Jane Jacobs 

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users