Photo

What's next? A discussion on upcoming buildings and future construction in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 2F2R

2F2R
  • 673 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 06:57 AM

A few examples of currant construction activity in five Canadian cities ...

Under construction - UC

Proposed - P

Burnaby 10UC - 21P

Edmonton 12UC - 34P

Calgary 33UC - 48P

Vancouver 31UC - 72P

Toronto 133UC - 257P

#22 2F2R

2F2R
  • 673 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:06 AM

Victoria 3UC - 24P

UC buildings all up ...

P buildings ... Will we ever actually see any of them get built???

#23 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 24 September 2014 - 07:55 AM

Victoria 3UC - 24P

UC buildings all up ...

lousy comparison, since that must only includes the City of Victoria. How many UC and P in the CRD?

#24 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:05 AM

It may be an OK comparison because the other cities probably dont include all the surroundings.

Such as Vancouver and Burnaby I am sure those figures do not include the entire GVRD

Its OK that Victoria is little size envy must stop

#25 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:26 AM

I think it's great that we have so many proposed buildings. Shows that developers are still interested, despite issues with density restrictions etc...

#26 2F2R

2F2R
  • 673 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:28 AM

Was not meant to be a comparison, just a fact. The construction activity in Toronto is off the map ... it has nothing to do with the construction (lack of) activity in Victoria ...

#27 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:29 AM

Victoria 3UC - 24P

UC buildings all up ...

Absolutely!

There's no reason to believe the Jawl's and Chard won't follow through on their proposed buildings and future development sites.

#28 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:29 AM

A few examples of currant construction activity in five Canadian cities ...

Under construction - UC

Proposed - P

Burnaby 10UC - 21P

Edmonton 12UC - 34P

Calgary 33UC - 48P

Vancouver 31UC - 72P

Toronto 133UC - 257P

What is your source for this data?

Our records on SkyscraperPage show different figures and we're as up-to-date as it gets :)

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#29 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:30 AM

Pretty stupid to compare construction activity Victoria to Toronto, Vancouver, Calgary or Edmonton...it has never been and never will be the same scale.

#30 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:31 AM

Toronto on a world scale is the leader, not just on a national scale. New York City has 80 highrises under construction and the next highest is Dubai with 46.

Presumably that list refers to highrises, right?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#31 Mr Cook Street

Mr Cook Street
  • 942 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:41 AM

Toronto has an astonishing amount of construction underway and proposed.

#32 2F2R

2F2R
  • 673 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:42 AM

My source for this data was "skyscraper page" ... today!

PS, I often hear Victoria compared to Portland ... I spent last week driving all over Portland. It is a fabulous city with an amazing infrastructure bar none. What was the similarity with Victoria again!

#33 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:43 AM

PS, I often hear Victoria compared to Portland ... I spent last week driving all over Portland. It is a fabulous city with an amazing infrastructure bar none. What was the similarity with Victoria again!

You're right Victoria is a shitty city with terrible infrastructure bar none.

#34 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,543 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 08:56 AM

Portland would be better compared to Vancouver, not Victoria; their metro area has about 2.2 million-ish people making it just slightly smaller than YVR. Really if you want to 'compare' you need to conduct a more realistic like for like assessment considering we've barely got 350K here. We're considerably smaller than Surrey never mind the larger Vancouver or Portland CMA's.

A more apt Canadian comparison given they are both provincial capitals, and both with a heavy federal employer presence (DND), might be Halifax.

• RFS likes this

#35 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:01 AM

Agreed, Halifax and Victoria is a fair comparison and they are both distinct, lovely cities with tons of potential. I believe Halifax even has their own version of the west shore

#36 2F2R

2F2R
  • 673 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:08 AM

Victoria is a beautiful city in a beautiful location ...

#37 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:12 AM

When you say Victoria do you mean the City of Victoria or the surrounding municipalities and cities as well?

#38 HB

HB
  • Banned
  • 7,975 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:14 AM

I think the Location is beautiful but the City??? not sure that  the city is  beautiful

#39 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 09:25 AM

My source for this data was "skyscraper page" ... today!

Oh, great! Now I see why the data was so close. The buildings lists in the database can include lowrise buildings while the maps display ONLY highrise data.

For real-time highrise data the maps are a great tool. They not only visually display what's happening but also provide you with the latest figures. Check out the maps at http://www.skyscraperpage.com/maps

Know it all.

#40 29er Radio

29er Radio
  • 671 posts

Posted 24 September 2014 - 10:00 AM

There is nothing wrong with emulating other successful cities and some living in squalor under the bridges in Portland might dispute the descriptions above, but my impression of that town is primarily good. As an example, I was in a brewery building which was an old carpet warehouse and there was not one steel crossbar seismic support to be found. Just a thriving business serving the community and the west coast with their lovely brew.

What we need to be careful of is understanding our limitations when we try to emulate success's outside our borders. As an example my 9 year old can't climb a tree like I can because of the height difference, but we can both jump off the same height cliff. If we understand out strengths and weakness's, understand the cities we want to emulate and lay out clear goals, then we could be what we would like to emulate in our own ways.

• gumgum likes this
Eric Bramble - http://www.29erradio.com
The Growler Hour
Lisa, Gene & Eric Show

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users