McDonald's restaurants in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
707 replies to this topic

#21 Scaper

Scaper
  • 1,262 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 05:16 PM

Don't mention this topic when VHF is around it makes him sad :cry:

At one time they served a massive full size pizza then went just to the little ones.

I remember I ordered one when I was in the old Saanich Rd location. I had to wash my hands as I was gardening all day. I had a small peperoni pizza and mc Nuggets. I went to was my hands then came back to see a drunk street guy eating my food. I told the guy to get out, only to realize he ate my whole pizza and half my mcnuggets.

I went and told the management about this, and they refused to repay my meal or give me a new one. They said I shouldn't have left it unattended. I said they shouldn't have let a drunken guy in their establishment and eat my food....anyways I left without my meal....grrrr!

#22 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 10:23 AM

I don't know if this kid is talking about McDonald's--it could be any fast food joint. This is why I hate eating at these miserable places.

A great job, if it weren't for the customer

Lyndall Legh, Special to Times Colonist
Published: Friday, October 06, 2006

I really thought a part-time job would be fun. I get to make extra money, I won't be at home with my parents and I love people so why wouldn't it be fun?

I now work at a fast-food outlet and I generally manage the till; I serve people and I take their money and give them change. The job really isn't that hard at all. I'm fast, I'm generally efficient and the people I work with are great. It's most of the customers I serve that aren't.

So I slipped on the recently mopped floor and spilled your coffee; it's not a big deal. I'm making you a new one. It has only been a few seconds. But you're in a rush, now you're really angry. I give you a new, fresh coffee, smile and say: "Have a great day!" and you glare at me and walk away.

Then when you go and get condiments, you leave a mess all over the counter. It's really not that hard just to get some ketchup without wasting the little cups because you crushed the first four and left a mess on the counter that I later have to clean up (and that's only when I get a chance, with all the other customers right behind you).

I have suddenly realized how rude everyone is to servers. I had never realized how hard it was to keep a smile on your face when all you want to do is scream at this person to clean up that huge mess they made and to suck it up and drink the soda with the ice in it. It's not that much of a difference and refills are free anyways!

Some people are really annoying. The worst customers are the ones who come through the drive-through, and when they get to the next window to pick up their food they realize they forgot to buy something. It's not so bad when there isn't anyone behind them, but when it's rush hour it's really annoying. We have to run over to an open till (which there might not be at that moment), punch whatever they want in, then run over and tell them the total.

When they pay in cash it's OK; credit is a little more tedious. I had one car once, and they were really rude. They wanted another burger, and I said OK, that's going to be $1.47. They handed me a DEBIT CARD. I thought they were kidding. You have to be pretty dimwitted to think that you can pull the debit machine over to that window from the front counter. But they weren't kidding. So I gave them my apologies and said that they can't pay by debit here.

The funniest part of the whole thing? When they told me they didn't have cash, and that they HAD in fact paid for it, I asked them for their receipt. I saw the lady in the passenger seat take out a receipt and look at it, then crumple it up and throw it away. Then the driver told me they

didn't get a receipt. At that point there was a lineup and I ended up giving it to them for free.

The last thing I hate that customers do is leaving their trays on the table, especially if they are covered in ketchup and half-eaten burgers. The garbage cans are conveniently located at each of the exits and it's really not hard just to dump them out before you leave.

If you remember anything from this, just remember to dump out your trays. It helps A LOT.

Lyndall Legh is a 16-year-old student.

My View is a column written by middle school students about life and issues that matter to them. If you'd like to contribute, send us 100 words explaining what you would write about and why we should pick you as one of the columnists.

E-mail to mailto:features@tc.canwest.com (put My View in the subject line), fax to 380-5353 or mail to 2621 Douglas St., V8T 4M2.
© Times Colonist (Victoria) 2006
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."
-City of Victoria website, 2009

#23 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 10:27 AM

I don't know how this thread started.
I thought this section of the forum was supposed to be about food and dining.
Macdonalds isn't food, and therefore it certainly isn't about dining.

#24 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 10:37 AM

I think it fits under a technicality.

The material recieved after payment is consumed at a dining table and reportedly does contain caloric content and is capable of passing through the digestive tract with little difficulty.
"Beaver, ahoy!""The bridge is like a magnet, attracting both pedestrians and over 30,000 vehicles daily who enjoy the views of Victoria's harbour. The skyline may change, but "Big Blue" as some call it, will always be there."

#25 mikedw

mikedw
  • 59 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 10:44 AM

The Shelbourne/Cedar Hill was supposedly the first one in Victoria. When I was two (1970), my Mom took me there. I had a milkshake and burger and my Mom was really impressed. In retrospect, it's like introducing a two-year old to smoking. A high point this week was whizzing past a McDonald's to take my daughter to a deli for lunch. I claimed that as a victory against the diabetes inducing clown.

- Mike

Ahh, that would be Saanich's first! ;)

Actually, I bet you're right, Shelbourne was probably the first in the region.

I remember an old commercial that reminded people they didn't have to leave a tip on the table. "There's no tipping at McDonalds!" [busser hands coins back to old couple].

Web developer & Internet Marketer

https://web321.co

#26 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,800 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 10:45 AM

Even more evil were the Children's B-Day celebs put on at the Clown's place.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#27 <avril>

<avril>
  • 13 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 02:30 PM

In the Mc Donalds by hillside they really should have more people working at a time. They are really desperate for staff like alot of places becuse they pay minimum wage. Even early in the morning the service is bad, but they usually only have like 3 people having coffee.

#28 ressen

ressen
  • 539 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 09:12 AM

I really liked the old McDonald's on Douglas st. in the heritage building. The first McD's I remember had those pink plastic chairs and tables that were supposedly designed to make customers leave as soon as they were done eating but I guess at some point they realized that no one really wants to linger at McPuke's any longer than necessary.

#29 FunkyMunky

FunkyMunky
  • 416 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:37 PM

I noticed today that the small McDonald's on the corner of Fort and Foul Bay has suddenly closed. The windows are papered-over and the signage has been removed. Now where am I going to go when I want a boat-load of cheap calories served-up by a surly high school kid who wishes I'd stop interrupting their social life?

#30 Caramia

Caramia
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 10:52 PM

All those bells and sirens going off in the back would make me crazy. I can barely deal with shopping there, god help those who work in that.

#31 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,396 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 11:13 PM

I noticed today that the small McDonald's on the corner of Fort and Foul Bay has suddenly closed.

I've never heard of a McDonald's closing. They study their markets VERY carefully before opening a new outlet. I wonder if they are simply moving to another location nearby?

#32 B.Bridge

B.Bridge
  • 108 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 11:31 PM

If they are really closing, this is fantastic news and we are witnessing the beginning of a whole new era of health, hope and less McThingies. Or maybe they just have vermin like the Douglas St one had, according to the T-C.

#33 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,172 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 11:32 PM

I've never heard of a McDonald's closing. They study their markets VERY carefully before opening a new outlet.

The one at Blanshard and Fisgard (where Serious Coffee is now) closed a couple years ago after only a short time (a year?) in operation.

#34 Holden West

Holden West

Va va voom!

• 9,058 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:12 AM

I heard a long time ago that some McDonald's in Victoria are locally-owned franchises and some are owned directly by McDonald's. I don't know if that's still the case.

#35 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,396 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 07:20 AM

The one at Blanshard and Fisgard (where Serious Coffee is now) closed a couple years ago after only a short time (a year?) in operation.

After I posted my message I recalled that closure as well. Mea culpa.

#36 gumgum

gumgum
  • 7,069 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:31 AM

I've never heard of a MacDonald's closing in a city other than Victoria, let alone two closing. I'd say this is a really positive reflection on our healthy lifestyle.

#37 VicHockeyFan

VicHockeyFan
  • Suspended User
  • 52,121 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 10:30 AM

I've never heard of a MacDonald's closing in a city other than Victoria, let alone two closing. I'd say this is a really positive reflection on our healthy lifestyle.

I don't know. The downtown one is always pretty busy.

#38 Galvanized

Galvanized
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 11:38 AM

Yay! Less garbage on the streets! I guess the one's without a drive-thru don't do as well.

#39 D.L.

D.L.
  • 7,786 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:28 PM

Now and then I go in and have a double quarter pounder with cheese.

#40 Coreyburger

Coreyburger
  • 2,864 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 12:43 PM

McDonalds has been beating a slow retreat for a few years now, due to increased concern about health and too rapid expansion.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users