McDonald's restaurants in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
707 replies to this topic

#581 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,240 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 20 January 2018 - 10:41 PM

Actually had lunch there today. Used the kiosk and the bring it to this table number feature. Worked great, food was there like, a minute maybe after i sat down, and it wasn't a simple order either.

McDonald's didn't really change much in the 90's and 00's, and perhaps sooner, I don't remember. In the past 8 years or so though, they've really upped their game.

#582 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,681 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 08:43 AM

Upped their game, or upped their decor to make it look like they upped their game. Menu has not changed really, the coffee has. 24 hour breakfast in my opinion screwed up breakfast, I liked the "omelettes" on the bagel sandwiches, now tge eggs are all the "McMuffin" style.
  • Mike K. and VicHockeyFan like this
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#583 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:02 AM

I know a few people with McDonald's franchises and they all have told me that if you don't have a drive thru you likely won't succeed, but there are exceptions like downtown locations with heavy foot traffic

They also told me they are required by the franchise agreements to completely strip out their eating areas and rebuilt every 8 years so the interiors are always up to date

I think McDonalds would probably be gone if they didn't invent McCafe.  The franchisees I know planned to take on Timmy's, Starbucks and Serious head on

Oh and I stopped in at McDonalds last year and had a Big Mac just for old time sake, it tasted like plastic in between 2 pieces of cardboard, it was tiny, and $5.50 to $6 each but even with the 2 for 1 coupon it was overpriced.  I was thoroughly disgusted

Edited by tjv, 21 January 2018 - 10:06 AM.

#584 On the Level

On the Level
  • 2,891 posts

Posted 21 January 2018 - 10:24 AM

They also told me they are required by the franchise agreements to completely strip out their eating areas and rebuilt every 8 years so the interiors are always up to date

My wife and I stopped in last week while we were shopping and commented on the new interiors.  It's nice enough, but there wasn't a consistent design.  Wood, wallpaper, metal, the bright red tile behind the drink fountain.....even some of the colour choices clash.  I wouldn't be surprised if it is done on purpose to make everything look nice, but also to prompt you not to stay too long. 

The reno on the McDonalds near Costco was definitely a step down.  The old interior with the fireplace, westcoast salmon interior was much nicer, but it was a bit of an odd ball as compared to the rest of the stores.

#585 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 22 January 2018 - 10:56 AM

Upped their game, or upped their decor to make it look like they upped their game. Menu has not changed really, the coffee has. 24 hour breakfast in my opinion screwed up breakfast, I liked the "omelettes" on the bagel sandwiches, now tge eggs are all the "McMuffin" style.

I prefer the "McMuffin style" eggs, which are actually cooked fresh. The "omelette style" eggs are shipped frozen and then steamed on the grill.

#586 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:01 AM

I don't get all the old farts that meet there sitting around for hours drinking bad coffee.

The hash browns are always under cooked. At least you get a free newspaper to read three day old news. 

#587 tedward

tedward
  • 1,974 posts
  • LocationJames Bay

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:26 AM

McCafe is the branding for their drink menu, but it remains a component of each McDonald’s restaurant and is not a standalone “McCafe” coffee shop. At least not yet.

I went to a McCafe in Toronto last fall. It was basically a small McDonald's without a deep-fat fryer, limited menu, and a decorating theme of "Starbucks-lite".

• Mike K. likes this

Lake Side Buoy - LEGO Nut - History Nerd - James Bay resident

#588 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:35 AM

If you have closely paid attention to McDonald's, over the years right here in Victoria there are many items you can't get anymore, and even the "Secret Menu" items are no longer offered.

Also the price increases have have gone up 30, 40, 50% or More on some items in a rather short period of time on a good variety of the menu..(Say 10 years). I would have expected the prices to go up, but not so much. One example is a sausage and egg McMuffin.....10 years ago I was paying $ 1.84 including tax. Today it's just under $4 dollars tax included.

Some of the changes I have noticed ( and obviously their has been many more then I can think of ) :

-The Pies went from being deep fried, to being baked

-The boxes of McDonald's cookies was discontinued after decades of them being on the menu

-The "Super Size" option was discontinued

- The Shamrock Shake was discontinued for quite some time and then brought back

- Mc Pizza was discontinued in Victoria

- The 24 Hour Drive-Through was introduced (24 Hour Lobby in some locations)

- The 20 Piece Chicken McNugget was discontinued

- The breakfast meal combos used to have an option of an extra breakfast sandwich built right in as a combo choice (that's discontinued)

- Ronald Mc Donald himself.......Gone, or at least put into storage. Nobody's seen him in years.

- All the McDonald's Charaters...Gone, or at least put into storage

- When filling a French Fry Container they used to actually open the container right up and fill it completely..........Now they keep the container flat so less fries go into it.

- Soft drinks have gone to Self Serve

- Self order Kiosks were introduced

- Online ordering with your cell phone or computer has been introduced

- Kids Play Zones have gone from being Out-Door to being Indoor.

And I am sure lots and lots more changes.

Edited by Star Dust, 22 January 2018 - 11:36 AM.

#589 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:44 AM

If you have closely paid attention to McDonald's, over the years right here in Victoria there are many items you can't get anymore, and even the "Secret Menu" items are no longer offered.

Also the price increases have have gone up 30, 40, 50% or More on some items in a rather short period of time on a good variety of the menu..(Say 10 years). I would have expected the prices to go up, but not so much. One example is a sausage and egg McMuffin.....10 years ago I was paying $ 1.84 including tax. Today it's just under $4 dollars tax included.

Some of the changes I have noticed ( and obviously their has been many more then I can think of ) :

-The Pies went from being deep fried, to being baked

-The boxes of McDonald's cookies was discontinued after decades of them being on the menu

-The "Super Size" option was discontinued

- The Shamrock Shake was discontinued for quite some time and then brought back

- Mc Pizza was discontinued in Victoria

- The 24 Hour Drive-Through was introduced (24 Hour Lobby in some locations)

- The 20 Piece Chicken McNugget was discontinued

- The breakfast meal combos used to have an option of an extra breakfast sandwich built right in as a combo choice (that's discontinued)

- Ronald Mc Donald himself.......Gone, or at least put into storage. Nobody's seen him in years.

- All the McDonald's Charaters...Gone, or at least put into storage

- When filling a French Fry Container they used to actually open the container right up and fill it completely..........Now they keep the container flat so less fries go into it.

- Soft drinks have gone to Self Serve

- Self order Kiosks were introduced

- Online ordering with your cell phone or computer has been introduced

- Kids Play Zones have gone from being Out-Door to being Indoor.

And I am sure lots and lots more changes.

Some of those changes were made a long, long time ago. "Supersize" ended in Canada in the early 2000's, and they stopped frying pies in the early 90's.

The big change that was made while I worked there in 2006 was a switch in the cooking oil: beef lard out, canola oil in. The fries are made by McCain.

• Midnightly likes this

#590 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 11:59 AM

Some of those changes were made a long, long time ago. "Supersize" ended in Canada in the early 2000's, and they stopped frying pies in the early 90's.

The big change that was made while I worked there in 2006 was a switch in the cooking oil: beef lard out, canola oil in. The fries are made by McCain.

Back in my days when I worked there (20 + years ago now)  The fries where done in Beef Lard, and everything else was done in vegetable shortening. The beef lard is what made the fries taste so good.

When you get to my age.......20 years seems like  6 or 7 LOL.

Burger King still Deep Fries their pies the last time I had one....Yum, Yum.

Edited by Star Dust, 22 January 2018 - 12:00 PM.

#591 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,177 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 02:55 PM

I don't get all the old farts that meet there sitting around for hours drinking bad coffee.

The hash browns are always under cooked. At least you get a free newspaper to read three day old news. 

Bad coffee??!!??!!! No way Jose, it's great.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#592 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:02 PM

bad coffee.  Bingo and I agree for the first time ever.

• Bingo likes this

#593 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 22 January 2018 - 03:29 PM

Bad coffee??!!??!!! No way Jose, it's great.

It was pretty bad before they picked up the old Tim's supplier. Now McD's has the good coffee, and Tim's is terrible. Just what alternate universe is this?

#594 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:14 PM

I think McD's coffee is pretty good, years ago it wasn't

#595 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 22 January 2018 - 04:57 PM

bad coffee.  Bingo and I agree for the first time ever.

Not only that, it's too hot to drink. That's why the seniors are hanging around for hours on end.

Nagel's right, but he keeps putting bike lanes on streets that go past McDonalds, which is why I don't cycle anymore.

#596 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 02:06 PM

I came across some links on You Tube to some Old McDonald's TV Commercials.

Check them out, and see how many you actually remember.

1970''s McDonald's TV Commercials: https://youtu.be/etmC6tPaHSo

1980's McDonald's TV Commercials: https://youtu.be/Menj5_duo9A

And if you really want to dig in deep to McDonald's TV Commercials right up to present day their is and entire You Tube Channel called McCommercials, and that's all it posts. https://www.youtube....mercials/videos

• RFS likes this

#597 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 04:52 PM

Oh good grief! 

#598 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,404 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:33 PM

Oh good grief! 

That's Charlie Brown, not Ronald McDonald.

• JanionGuy likes this

#599 tjv

tjv
  • 2,403 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:48 PM

Yikes, those commercials are almost criminal about getting kids hooked on McDonalds at a young age.  They might as well of had Ronald McDonald with a smoke promoting Lucky Strike.

• VicHockeyFan likes this

#600 Star Dust

Star Dust
  • 274 posts

Posted 23 January 2018 - 05:53 PM

Yikes, those commercials are almost criminal about getting kids hooked on McDonalds at a young age.  They might as well of had Ronald McDonald with a smoke promoting Lucky Strike.

I can't say for sure, but their was likely far less chemical preservatives in the McDonald's food at least in the 60's and 70's.  I don't know when all that stuff started getting approved to put into food, but now as you have likely seen online, people do these tests with McDonald's food where they just let it sit for 3 or 4 years taking pictures every week. And at 4 years it almost looks exactly the same as the day it was purchased. No mold, no discoloration...LOL.   But hey we all know what we are putting into our bodies when we go there, and we still do it.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users