Photo

McDonald's restaurants in Victoria

• Please log in to reply
707 replies to this topic

#601 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 01:05 PM

Demolition work is taking place at the Pandora/Vancouver McDonald's today.

#602 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 01:06 PM

Yup, they're decreasing the restaurant's square footage.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#603 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 01:09 PM

Easier to manage the miscreants who frequent this location? I suppose the playroom is on the hit list. This site just needs to be fully redeveloped.

#604 Baro

Baro
  • 4,317 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 01:11 PM

With the large transformative developments going on flanking this McDonalds it's going to look like a strange hole in the streetscape in a decade.

Build some 4-5 story corner building with a drive-through tucked away in the back.  Anything but a parking lot.

Edited by Baro, 13 August 2018 - 01:11 PM.

"beats greezy have baked donut-dough"

#605 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 01:12 PM

Does the Catholic diocese still own the McDonald's property?

#606 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 01:18 PM

I thought it had sold?
Predictive text and a tiny keyboard are not my friends!

#607 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 01:21 PM

Duplicate

Edited by sdwright.vic, 13 August 2018 - 01:22 PM.

#608 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 09:47 AM

It looks like they are finally doing the renovation that was first reported here in 2016. Their permit is for restaurant lobby remodel and complete exterior makeover.

#609 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 10:05 AM

I think they’re also reducing the size of the kids play area, no?

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#610 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 10:05 AM

That whole damn street is a play area.

• Nparker likes this

#611 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 10:09 AM

That whole damn street is a play area.

True. I've seen a lot of folks apparently playing hide & seek in the middle of the road.

#612 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 10:38 AM

I think they’re also reducing the size of the kids play area, no?

Their original application to Council has them expanding the size of the restaurant (plans) and adding the dual drive thru lanes, but that was rejected two summers ago (primary issue was reduction of parking stalls). Their new permit is just a Minor Development Permit as opposed to the denied Development Permit with Variance, so if they are wanting to add a dual turn lane without impacting the current number of parking stalls, in theory that would require the reduction of the building footprint.

• Mike K. likes this

#613 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 07 September 2018 - 06:05 PM

tjv, on 7 Sep 2018 - 06:40 PM, said

Its off topic, but what is going on with the McDonald's across the street?  I thought all of those buildings were going to be demolished, seems strange they are renoing the building

It appears to be a mostly cosmetic renovation. I am not even sure if much is really going to change with the interior (in terms of size), although earlier this week it was closed to all but drive-thru patrons for lobby work (according to the signage posted outside).

#614 shoeflack

shoeflack
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 03:41 PM

So the reno is mostly done at the Pandora/Vancouver McDonald's, and I'm going to make a stink. So, originally they wanted to make a dual drive thru, but for whatever reason the City wouldn't let them drop the one or two parking spaces that were needed to accomplish this, even though the parking lot is never full. Anyways, so what they've done instead is create a kind of dual drive thru within a single drive thru setup. Kind of like before where they had the two order windows at this location, they now have two digital order boards within the single lane. So as with before, people never know to pull up to the forward most order space. They also have zero signage telling you do to so. At the end of the day, I don't think this does anything to add to the efficiency of the drive thru, but rather just adds confusion. Was hoping they would get rid of that weird quirk of this location, but instead they just modernized the weird quirk.

Otherwise the restaurant now looks amazing both inside and out (amazing in comparison to before anyways).

First world problems, I know.

#615 Nparker

Nparker
  • 40,691 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 03:47 PM

...the restaurant now looks amazing both inside and out (amazing in comparison to before anyways)...

Did they update the look of the clientele who tend to spend time at this location?

#616 sdwright.vic

sdwright.vic

Colwood

• 6,685 posts

Posted 23 November 2018 - 04:50 PM

Full time security guard.

#617 Kilo95

Kilo95
  • 264 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 02:27 AM

So the reno is mostly done at the Pandora/Vancouver McDonald's, and I'm going to make a stink. So, originally they wanted to make a dual drive thru, but for whatever reason the City wouldn't let them drop the one or two parking spaces that were needed to accomplish this, even though the parking lot is never full. Anyways, so what they've done instead is create a kind of dual drive thru within a single drive thru setup. Kind of like before where they had the two order windows at this location, they now have two digital order boards within the single lane. So as with before, people never know to pull up to the forward most order space. They also have zero signage telling you do to so. At the end of the day, I don't think this does anything to add to the efficiency of the drive thru, but rather just adds confusion. Was hoping they would get rid of that weird quirk of this location, but instead they just modernized the weird quirk.

Otherwise the restaurant now looks amazing both inside and out (amazing in comparison to before anyways).

First world problems, I know.

Am I right in thinking the McDonalds in Esquimalt has the same setup?

#618 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,868 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 06:48 AM

probably the need for a traditional mcdrivethru will diminish over the next 5 years with the ordering app and delivery. order with the app and park in stall #4.

In the 25 years the Jacksonville, Florida-based chain has been around, Firehouse Subs had traditionally rented spaces between 2,000 and 2,200 square feet for each of its restaurants. Now, Fox said he doesn't consider a lease over 1,800 square feet. "In some cities, where people are really ordering online and rents are higher, just 1,400 square feet is enough," Fox said.

About 10 square feet that used to be seating is now a place for couriers to grab orders.

https://adage.com/ar...popular/315464/

that article talks about shrinking restaurants.  i see no reason mcdonalds can't open another spot downtown even if it has limited or even zero seating.  as it is now, mcd downtown hardly uses upstairs.  so pandora parking is too large and douglas seating is too large.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 24 November 2018 - 06:59 AM.

#619 Bingo

Bingo
  • 16,666 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 06:54 AM

probably the need for a traditional mcdrivethru will diminish over the next 5 years with the ordering app

Yuck! Some of those drive through vehicles have things growing and living under the seats. 

#620 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 09:09 AM

I find the opening into the “kitchen” right next to the till very odd.

Also the colour scheme is meant to calm you down.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users