• Please log in to reply
5846 replies to this topic

#2921 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 23 October 2018 - 08:40 PM

https://www.theglobe...x-trudeau-says/

Confused me totally.

How does BC, Alberta get left out of the rebates?

The federal tax will only apply to provinces that do not have their own carbon tax system. BC and Alberta do

#2922 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 07:06 AM

We already refund a ton of the carbon tax.  The government removed the reporting for the specifics, but until recently the the tax expenditures far outpaced the carbon tax revenue.  We pay less personal and corporate income tax due to the carbon tax.  I suppose some people would prefer a beer money cheque, but I'm happy with the way the BC Libs brought it in.

#2923 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 24 October 2018 - 07:11 AM

We already refund a ton of the carbon tax.  The government removed the reporting for the specifics, but until recently the the tax expenditures far outpaced the carbon tax revenue.  We pay less personal and corporate income tax due to the carbon tax.  I suppose some people would prefer a beer money cheque, but I'm happy with the way the BC Libs brought it in.

I thought the GreeNDP changed the Carbon Tax last year so its not revenue neutral anymore. No more refunds through tax breaks....its all going in one direction

https://www.theglobe...rticle36488526/

The recent provincial budget not only makes plans to hike the carbon tax by two-thirds – rising from $30/tonne to $50/tonne by 2021 − but eliminates from law the requirement for offsetting tax cuts. From now on the Horgan government plans to use its carbon tax windfall to "create jobs, benefit communities and reduce climate pollution." In other words, all the usual things governments spend your tax dollars on already.

#2924 nagel

nagel
  • 5,751 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 07:15 AM

I thought the GreeNDP changed the Carbon Tax last year so its not revenue neutral anymore. No more refunds through tax breaks....its all going in one direction

https://www.theglobe...rticle36488526/

It never was revenue neutral, it was revenue negative.  The tax expenditures FAR outpaced the revenue.  Yes the reporting has been removed.  That's too bad, I liked looking at it.  Arguably because all those expenditures are still there and the tax has barely raised so far, it's still negative, but by 2022 if there's no increased personal income tax expenditures (i.e., a general rate decrease/on the lower rungs) I'll be less satisfied with the new approach.  I'd also take dedicated spending to transit projects, although that's certainly not equitable with rural areas.

#2925 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 04:33 PM

Federal NDP MLA announced today that she would give up her seat and run for the Provincial NDP  to fill Nanaimo's now vacant seat.

#2926 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 24 October 2018 - 05:11 PM

Federal NDP MLA announced today that she would give up her seat and run for the Provincial NDP  to fill Nanaimo's now vacant seat.

This is a seat the NDP should retain federally but there is a chance the Conservatives could win it 

#2927 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 05:57 PM

20181024_184831.jpg
  • Mike K., Bernard, gstc84 and 2 others like this

#2928 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 06:20 PM

30 years ago ^^^^^

#2929 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 24 October 2018 - 06:57 PM

Spoiler alert...

He did not win.

• rjag likes this

#2930 Bernard

Bernard
  • 5,056 posts
  • LocationVictoria BC

Posted 24 October 2018 - 07:02 PM

Victoria used to be mainly a Conservative seat till then with the Liberals winning sometimes. Nary a thought of a lefty having any chance of winning

#2931 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 07:53 PM

http://www.msn.com/e...TP?ocid=DELLDHP

Still totally confused by our Federal governments logic and our general publics understanding of it.

- Our economy is on track and doing well but will go further in deficit to support it.

- Carbon tax rebates?

#2932 LJ

LJ
  • 12,729 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 07:57 PM

^Budgets balance themselves.....

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#2933 North Shore

North Shore
  • 2,169 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 09:45 PM

http://www.msn.com/e...TP?ocid=DELLDHP

Still totally confused by our Federal governments logic and our general publics understanding of it.

- Our economy is on track and doing well but will go further in deficit to support it.

- Carbon tax rebates?

Indeed!   W.T.F? Those financial lightweights in Ottawa are forgetting the second page in the deficit financing handbook:  When times are good, raise the tax rate a little, and start paying back the money that you (we) borrowed..

Arslochs, the lot of them - buying favour nowadays with money borrowed from my (grand)children...

Say, what's that mountain goat doing up here in the mist?

#2934 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,339 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 21 November 2018 - 10:41 PM

And then there's this: https://www.ctvnews....sures-1.4186881

What happened to freedom of the press? Public funds to support select news organizations chosen by a panel of government appointees?

#2935 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 12:09 AM

The New PPC (People's Party Of Canada)  now officially has 198 Electoral District Associations set up out of the 338 ridings that exist across the country, and plan to have all 338 established by the end of December. They will be running candidates in 3 upcoming by-elections, including one right here in BC for the riding of Burnaby South.

#2936 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 06:20 AM

Something really fishy is going on with this media tax break thing.

“More than 250 news outlets in Canada have closed in the last 10 years and newspaper revenues alone are down as much as 40 per cent since 2012.” Yeah, and a lot of them were small community papers closed after a buyout to remove competition or avoid duplicity.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#2937 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 06:59 AM

Trudeau has decided on permanent, large deficits. It used to be that $10B was a big deficit. Now $20B is normal.

The deficits don't have so much to do with tax breaks, but massive increases in spending.

#2938 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 22 November 2018 - 08:45 AM

It would be pretty hard to maintain journalistic neutrality and be critical of the hand that feeds you

• lanforod likes this

#2939 bluefox

bluefox

ex-Victorian

• 697 posts

Posted 24 November 2018 - 07:05 PM

Spoiler alert...

He did not win.

Spoiler alert: Victoria is still dumping raw sewage in the ocean

(Not the owner of, nor am I associated with, the Blue Fox Café, in any way.)

#2940 Mystic-Pizza

Mystic-Pizza
  • 623 posts

Posted 02 December 2018 - 01:52 PM

As of today the new PPC has 260 EDA's established out of the 338 across the country. Only 78 to go. membership today sits at 33,000 officially registered members.

The riding of Esquimalt—Saanich—Sooke  was established yesterday and a meeting was held in the West Shore to elect it's members.

The party held a rally in Winnipeg this week, and has also already held rallies in Vancouver, Calgary, Toronto and Gatineau. 

You can view a video of Max speaking about the new party at this FB link : https://www.facebook...m9I1V&__tn__=-R

Edited by Mystic-Pizza, 02 December 2018 - 01:55 PM.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users