2019 Canadian Federal Election - general discussion

• Please log in to reply
5846 replies to this topic

#3581 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 07 May 2019 - 08:15 AM

Paul Manly was blocked as a NDP candidate in 2015 because of his extremist, anti-Israel position. 

You know it has to be pretty bad if the NDP didnt want him...surprised this wasnt an election issue

• jonny likes this

#3582 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 08:32 AM

Ok, so this might explain why May was absent when he won.

I didn’t realize his views were that extreme.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3583 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 53,053 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 09:43 AM

more background here:

http://www.rabble.ca...-climate-change

#3584 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 09:53 AM

I don't think having unfavourable views of Israel is that extreme

• RoadRunner likes this

#3585 RoadRunner

RoadRunner
  • 122 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 11:55 AM

Indeed.  If he won the byelection, then there must be a lot of people who support his views.

#3586 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 07 May 2019 - 12:04 PM

When you are against the only democracy in the region that doesnt stone gay people or adulterers, and support a regime bankrolled by Iran and uses suicide bombers to murder innocent civilians....I think its extreme....mind you these are the same fools that support Maduro and Castro...so its not like they actually have a lot of credibility to begin with

• Hotel Mike, tedward and lanforod like this

#3587 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 12:17 PM

When you are against the only democracy in the region that doesnt stone gay people or adulterers, and support a regime bankrolled by Iran and uses suicide bombers to murder innocent civilians....I think its extreme....mind you these are the same fools that support Maduro and Castro...so its not like they actually have a lot of credibility to begin with

My problem with Israel is more from the US perspective. Why is America expected to bankroll the existence of the Jewish state, when if America was to institute policies similar to what Israel has (eg. Very restrictive and religion/ethnicity based immigration policies with walls and strong, enforced cultural homogeneity) they would be accused of being racist fascist bigots? What does the American tax payer get in return for tens of billions of dollars a year to Israel when the US has their own border crises and crumbling infrastructure?
  • sdwright.vic likes this

#3588 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,053 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 12:22 PM

it’s all probably a lot more complicated than this thread can handle.
  • rjag likes this

#3589 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 07 May 2019 - 01:07 PM

^ Like most walls in history, that never stopped us before.

#3590 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 01:10 PM

Ok, so this might explain why May was absent when he won.

I can't see anything in his background that could be called "extreme".

Being critical of Israel's government does not equate to anti-semitism. 

• rjag, sdwright.vic, grantpalin and 1 other like this

#3591 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 04:51 PM

I think Manly won by process of elimination. Singh is uninspiring, Trudeau is disintegrating and the riding wouldn't vote Conservative even if it they were the only party.

• VIResident likes this

#3592 VIResident

VIResident
  • 973 posts
  • LocationVancouver Island

Posted 07 May 2019 - 04:53 PM

When viewing a post on Facebook regarding the Green Party Federal win by Green party member and candidate Paul Manly past Esquimalt Councillor Beth Burton-Krahn posted a comment, and quickly edited that comment. 

The following (quoted) was removed - but one only has to hit the 'edited' link below her post to see she 'edited' by deleting the following:

"........Federal NDP executive for his views on Israel-Palestine (which are aligned with my own)" - Beth Burton- Krahn https://www.facebook...73159759451875/

Lets see what happens should she toss her hat in for NDP run at provincial or federal.  

#3593 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 04:56 PM

I think Manly won by process of elimination. Singh is uninspiring, Trudeau is disintegrating and the riding wouldn't vote Conservative even if it they were the only party.

I don't think that's true. Conservatives came second and Nanaimo-alberni which is part of what this new riding is made of was always a conservative riding

#3594 G-Man

G-Man

Senior Case Officer

• 13,805 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 07:41 PM

Good result out of Nanaimo today. Hopefully a sign of more to come in October.

Visit my blog at: https://www.sidewalkingvictoria.com 

It has a whole new look!

#3595 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 53,053 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 03:12 AM

Prosecutors are expected to withdraw a criminal charge against Vice-Adm. Mark Norman, providing a major victory for the senior naval officer who has always maintained his innocence in advocating for the government to build a naval supply ship.

The announcement, expected Wednesday morning according to sources with knowledge of the matter, will end the government’s two-year legal battle against the officer and heads off what would have been a politically explosive trial for the Liberal government in the middle of a federal election campaign.

The Public Prosecution Service of Canada took the unusual step Tuesday evening of advising journalists that they might want to attend an already-scheduled appearance at Norman’s pre-trial hearing Wednesday morning in Ottawa.

https://nationalpost...r-naval-officer

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 08 May 2019 - 03:13 AM.

#3596 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 07:55 AM

I'd be OK with a strong, stable, Conservative majority government with a Green opposition, for sure. 

#3597 spanky123

spanky123
  • 21,014 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 08:03 AM

I'd be OK with a strong, stable, Conservative majority government with a Green opposition, for sure. 

I think the odds that the Greens get more than a handful of seats are extremely low. Once you move off of the Island into the real world people are much more pragmatic. Eliminating oil in 10 years, rebuilding every structure in Canada to make it more energy efficient, and converting the entire county over to wind and solar power all sound good if you are a poli sci student or high, but most people realize that the economic calamity it would cause, especially when no other country in the world is doing the same and the people promoting the "Green New Deal" see no issues with themselves flying all over the world, is unrealistic.

Edited by spanky123, 08 May 2019 - 08:03 AM.

#3598 jonny

jonny
  • 9,211 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 08:10 AM

^ Which is why I'd love to see them in opposition. The rest of Canada would see what a goof Elizabeth May really is. Everybody knows they don't have a chance, though. 

But, the Greens do have a point. We do need to be trying to do things better. 

Edited by jonny, 08 May 2019 - 08:11 AM.

#3599 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,560 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 09:08 AM

Rex Murphy gave a talk today at the Marriott.

He would have made the anti-oil lobby weep. Hard. Fast. And damning to the point. He spoke of the injustice of the anti-oil movement which has thrust opposition at an industry that embodies the spirit of Confederation, which this country needs to socially and economically function, and ensure Canadians continue to enjoy the freedoms and opportunities that have made Canada, Canada.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3600 JimV

JimV
  • 1,319 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 05:04 PM

I agree. A deep split in the loony left will help usher the crumbling Liberals out the door.

The actual Green policies don't actually matter very much since they will never have a chance of implementing them at the federal level. The main benefit of this party is siphoning off votes that might otherwise go to the NDP or Libs.
  • spanky123 and Victoria Watcher like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users