• Please log in to reply
5846 replies to this topic

#3661 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,346 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 05:11 AM

Green Party leader cruises Victoria Day parade in Dodge Viper
Surprised to see Elizabeth May in a gas-guzzling red sports car? It's not her first time in the passenger seat

https://driving.ca/d...-in-dodge-viper

#3662 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,346 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 07:57 AM

CBC.ca has the ray bound Wilson philpoyt press conference at 9am

#3663 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 May 2019 - 08:03 AM

They aren't running for the Greens, per news articles I saw this morning.

#3664 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 08:11 AM

Former justice minister Jody Wilson-Raybould will seek re-election as an Independent candidate in the fall election campaign.

She made the announcement at a news conference in her Vancouver Granville riding this morning, nearly two months after being booted from the Liberal caucus.

Jane Philpott, who was also expelled from caucus, is set to make an announcement shortly in her riding of Markham-Stouffville in Ontario.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...uture-1.5150957

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3665 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 09:09 AM

^ No pensions for them!

#3666 lanforod

lanforod
  • 11,241 posts
  • LocationSaanich

Posted 27 May 2019 - 09:47 AM

That's assuming they don't get re-elected. I wouldn't be so sure, particularly JWR.

#3667 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 05:56 PM

That's assuming they don't get re-elected. I wouldn't be so sure, particularly JWR.

Michael Barkusky Green Party 1691

Erinn Broshko  Conservative 14028

Mira Oreck  NDP-New Democratic Party 14462

Jody Wilson-Raybould Liberal    23643

if half of the liberal votes abandon her, and they might - depending how strong party affiliation is, and/or some defect to the ndp then it is likely that the ndp will pick up the seat

i don't see 50% plus sticking with her as an independent

nor do i see dippers or tories or greens flocking to support her either

i think she is sunk

Edited by tommy, 27 May 2019 - 05:59 PM.

#3668 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 07:11 AM

i don't see 50% plus sticking with her as an independent

Agree with you Tommy. I think that parties are far more important at the Federal level then individuals. I don't see the point for JWR and JP though. Even if they are elected they will sit on a back bench with no funding and no input into Government matters. Is it all about the pension money or are they hoping for a minority Government and that they might be part of the balance of power? If the later then will they resign if a majority Government is elected?

I find it even stranger that May was willing to step down as leader if JWR joined the party. JWR has no ties to the Greens yet May felt that the party would be better served?

#3669 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 28 May 2019 - 07:43 AM

Agree with you Tommy. I think that parties are far more important at the Federal level then individuals. I don't see the point for JWR and JP though. Even if they are elected they will sit on a back bench with no funding and no input into Government matters. Is it all about the pension money or are they hoping for a minority Government and that they might be part of the balance of power? If the later then will they resign if a majority Government is elected?

I find it even stranger that May was willing to step down as leader if JWR joined the party. JWR has no ties to the Greens yet May felt that the party would be better served?

The whole thing about May willing to abdicate the leadership is very bizarre. Could be any number of things, She's tired and is getting ready to bow out of it, her backroom folks are saying she has reached 'peak impact' and the Party is stuck in a rut and needs a change at the top or ...???

#3670 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 07:51 AM

The federal Green Party has surpassed the image May emboldens and the demographic that supports the party wants something fresh. Joe Biden is in a similar position.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3671 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,346 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 08:01 AM

joe biden leads the polls though. even if the “youth wing” does not want him.

#3672 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 08:04 AM

He leads because it’s a one man show. If another Obama showed up he’d be out of there.

Know it all.

#3673 Tom Braybrook

Tom Braybrook

tom braybrook

• 1,578 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 09:02 AM

He leads because it’s a one man show. If another Obama showed up he’d be out of there.

...i think joe leads because he is a moderate, known quantity that can be supported by most of the middle democrats and has the potential to bring over perhaps 10% of moderate republicans who have been embarrassed by the idiot trump...

#3674 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 11:21 AM

"Ontario Liberal MPs eye 'soda tax' idea for October election campaign" -CBC

Will be hilarious to watch the left defend a tax literally designed to extract a few more pennies from the poor.

#3675 DustMagnet

DustMagnet
  • 1,508 posts
  • LocationView Royal

Posted 28 May 2019 - 01:23 PM

"Ontario Liberal MPs eye 'soda tax' idea for October election campaign" -CBC

Will be hilarious to watch the left defend a tax literally designed to extract a few more pennies from the poor.

Aren't soda taxes designed to alter consumption behaviour rather that simply generate revenue?

Edited by DustMagnet, 28 May 2019 - 01:24 PM.

#3676 SimonH

SimonH
  • 913 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 01:55 PM

Aren't soda taxes designed to alter consumption behaviour rather that simply generate revenue?

Win, win.

#3677 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 02:02 PM

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help you
  • rjag likes this

#3678 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 02:07 PM

Liberal gun bill C-71 passed third reading today. Makes it illegal to transport a restricted firearm anywhere without a transport permit (hilarious because if someone intends to commit a gun crime are they likely to apply for a transport permit?), Requires retailers to keep a record of all gun sales, makes a few more guns prohibited, and makes it so the RCMP now decide which guns fall under which categories rather than lawmakers.

Scheer has already said the conservatives will repeal and replace the bill if elected.

#3679 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 02:10 PM

I thought all gun crimes ceased when the Liberals introduced their long gun registry?

Know it all.

#3680 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 03:40 PM

Liberal gun bill C-71 passed third reading today. Makes it illegal to transport a restricted firearm anywhere without a transport permit (hilarious because if someone intends to commit a gun crime are they likely to apply for a transport permit?), Requires retailers to keep a record of all gun sales, makes a few more guns prohibited, and makes it so the RCMP now decide which guns fall under which categories rather than lawmakers.

Scheer has already said the conservatives will repeal and replace the bill if elected.

Wait, what is the actual change here? We were already supposed to have permits to transport restricted firearms?

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users