• 7,880 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 09:49 PM

Perhaps him as well!

Matt.

#3744 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 06:28 AM

Former nurse and current Sidney lawyer David Busch is running for the conservatives in saanich-gulf islands. He's the lawyer who represented the locals against the Cordova bay plaza development.

#3745 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:05 AM

Looks like Walmart has been taking notes from SNC-Lavalin. https://www.nytimes....settlement.html

I guess all of those folks who think that SNC should be put out of business will find another place to shop. Wonder if JWR and JP will make this an election issue.

Edited by spanky123, 21 June 2019 - 08:05 AM.

#3746 Belleprincess

Belleprincess
  • 655 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 08:02 AM

Aaron Gunn?

I have to admit, I’ve watched some of his videos. Some of the things he says, I actually agree with.

I think he would be a bad choice for the conservatives, he’s too controversial. Don’t think that will fly in BC - especially not Victoria

#3747 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 08:04 AM

People’s Party of Canada might be more his thing.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3748 pennymurphy2000

pennymurphy2000
  • 419 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 09:09 AM

David Merner, is the federal Green party candidate for Esquimalt—Saanich—Sooke

Had a flyer dropped off on our doorstep a few days ago.

#3749 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 09:25 AM

Yesterday the residents of Shirley, a remote, 100% auto-dependent community west of Sooke, held a town hall about a “Green new deal” for the Sooke area ...as the parking lot was overflowing and cars were lined up along the shoulder of the highway.
  • rjag likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3750 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 09:28 AM

Merner was the 2015 Liberal candidate for the riding. Now he’s the Green candidate. He came in second place with 27.4% of the vote.

He also spent the least on his campaign ($33k vs NDP’s and Green’s $120k each!). The Greens came in third with 20%.

Know it all.

#3751 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 09:38 AM

I've said it before and I'll say it again The liberals and greens have a very incestuous relationship and are in cahoots at the highest levels

#3752 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 09:39 AM

You’re certainly not the first to posit that the Liberals/Greens have a hush-hush minority government agreement in place.

Know it all.

#3753 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 23 June 2019 - 10:34 AM

Its becoming apparent that Trudeau is abandoning the West and the void will be filled by Green seats on the West Coast.

I fear for the future of our country and the impending economic crisis that will ensue if there is a Liberal Green minority govt. It wont be just hold onto your wallet but your job, your home and the very way you live. We'll see mandated PR without discussion or referendum and a depression in Alberta/Saskatchewan/Northern BC that will be reminiscent of the dirty 30's

The eco-zealot nutbars will be unleashed and it will make CoV look like kindergarten compared to the damage they'll do at the federal level.

#3754 spanky123

spanky123
  • 20,976 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 11:13 AM

^ I think that at the Federal level the status quo is so entrenched that it would take much more than a minority Government to change things. The first thing that the newly elected MPs would want to ascertain is that they can hang around for the 6 years required to get a pension which will soften many of their campaign promises.

#3755 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 11:27 AM

If we do hit an economic crisis Alberta will secede. Saskatchewan may join them.

Know it all.

#3756 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,344 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 11:31 AM

i'm not sure that sentiment is so high.   alberta is used to economic highs and lows.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 23 June 2019 - 11:31 AM.

#3757 LJ

LJ
  • 12,702 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 07:40 PM

i'm not sure that sentiment is so high.   alberta is used to economic highs and lows.

I got this from a friend in Alberta who owns quite a few businesses there as well as in BC...

. It is unbelievable what the federal gov't is doing to resource development in Canada and in particular, the energy industry in AB. This is a crisis but as long as the various levels of gov't can continue to borrow money to spend they will disguise how serious the downturn in the private sector is becoming.

The final nail in the coffin for AB's continued support for Confederation will be ‎if Trudeau is re-elected with a majority gov't in Oct. The size of this nail could be enhanced if he is re-elected with only a minority govt but won't give up the PM position to Scheer so he goes to the NDP or Green parties for support. We can assume that they will support him but in return for their support, the speculation is that their price will be stopping any construction activity re TMX (if there is any). If either of these scenarios plays out there will be consequences.

What is the next generation going to do to earn a living if they don't qualify for a job in the public sector?

How are our govts going to ever get their financial houses in order without resorting to excessive taxation within the next decade?

Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3758 Sparky

Sparky

GET OFF MY LAWN

• 13,115 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 05:30 AM

Every time I hear a politition pissing away his or her time whining about matters that they have absolutely no mandate or idea about how to solve, I keep thinking about what they should be doing instead.

It's not rocket science in business or at home to focus on making sure that we spend less than we earn.

Municipal, Provincial, and Federal polititions should be legally forced to balance budgets and not create a deficit that our children will never be able to pay for.

http://www.debtclock.ca

#3759 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,184 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 05:37 AM

Just wait for the day Alberta breaks away from its transfer payment commitment. That's a half-trillion dollars in free money every 20 years for the feds to with as they please.

Know it all.

#3760 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,344 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 05:51 AM

so why don’t local governments have an efficiency team? asking their own employees for ideas etc.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users