2019 Canadian Federal Election - general discussion

• Please log in to reply
5846 replies to this topic

#3861 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts
  • LocationSi vis pacem para bellum

Posted 13 August 2019 - 06:21 PM

Paul Manly sent me a 2 pager with all sorts of propaganda about Racelle Kooy...I hope it was paid for by the Green Party as it went straight into recycling

• tedward likes this

#3862 zoomer

zoomer
  • 2,144 posts
  • LocationVictoria - Downtown

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:20 PM

Got a mailer today from the Green Party for candidate Racelle Kooy (very eco-friendly, all that paper and carbon footprint for deliver, thanks Greens :rolleyes: ).

Anyways, interesting quote from it. "When I walk down Pandora Ave and see developers building expensive condos, leaving thousands of locals priced out of the heart of our own city, I feel the inequality being created here. As your Green MP, I will advocate for smart, sustainable city planning that ensures an affordable home for everyone."

What is with Victoria politicians and not staying in their lane? We have a municipal council that constantly wants to punch up to provincial and federal matters, and now we have a federal candidate that wants to get involved in municipal affairs?

I just checked out her website because the above seemed too bizarre to be true.  Under "About Me" there is nothing about her, what work or volunteer roles she has been involved in - just the usual political jargon.  The only thing I learned about her that he father was Dutch and her mother was Indigenous. 

Now if you're hoping to be taken seriously wouldn't you focus on issues that are not directly under city control? Or explain how you would influence city planning from a federal government perspective?  And the only new residential building on Pandora that I can think is comprised of RENTALS in the Save-On Foods building.  Wouldn't you get that one easy peasy central claim correct? Does she have any fact checkers on staff? 

The 'inequity'?  I'm not sure of her story - does she own a home or rent?  If I hear another politician talk about expensive condos I think I'm going to vomit.  Condos are significantly cheaper than the average home in Victoria.  Can you even find a home that's not in need of major repair for what the average condo goes for?  Yet some people want to punish those buying condos in order to subsidize cheaper units - funny how they don't target homeowners instead.  I've said before if you're green, real 'green' you should be waiting outside these downtown condos and apartment buildings every morning waiting to give everyone a big hug as they come out.  Living in tiny concrete boxes with the main luxury being a tiny rectangle of marble or quartz countertop makes these folks the real environmentalists.  They drive far less if at all, dont' burn wood in fireplaces, significantly less  water and heat demand, and of course the tiny land footprint they take up by volunteering to be stacked on top of one another so others can enjoy their sprawling yards with three cars in the driveway.

It amazes me that a potential politician would make such a statement without any regards to basic facts, but then I look around at the real politicians in the world today.. maybe that's the example they're learning from.  

• Awaiting Juno likes this

#3863 LJ

LJ
  • 12,733 posts

Posted 13 August 2019 - 07:28 PM

If they would say "an affordable home for everyone that works for a living" I could get on board with it.

If you are not working because of a physical handicap I could get on board with that.

If you are not working because of a mental handicap - you should be institutionalized so you are safe from harm and safe from harming others.

If you are not working because you choose to shoot up drugs all day, I am definitely not on board with that.

• Wayne and newbie_01 like this
Life's a journey......so roll down the window and enjoy the breeze.

#3864 Wayne

Wayne
  • 765 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:39 AM

"Trudeau's conduct in SNC-Lavalin matter violated ethics code"

No surprise there. The surprise is how many of the public are OK with this.

https://www.msn.com/...inds/ar-AAFNQMB

Edited by Wayne, 14 August 2019 - 07:40 AM.

• rjag likes this

#3865 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,511 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:45 AM

From the CBC:

"The Prime Minister, directly and through his senior officials, used various means to exert influence over Ms. Wilson‑Raybould. The authority of the Prime Minister and his office was used to circumvent, undermine and ultimately attempt to discredit the decision of the Director of Public Prosecutions as well as the authority of Ms. Wilson‑Raybould as the Crown's chief law officer," Dion said.

• rjag likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3866 m3m

m3m
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 07:46 AM

If you are not working because of a mental handicap - you should be institutionalized so you are safe from harm and safe from harming others.

Yikes. 

#3867 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:16 AM

1 ethic violation was 1 more than any other PM since Confederation....2 ethic violations really set the bar high...thats a total 'hold my beer' type of scenario

and yet some people wont see that as a problem

#3868 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:20 AM

^ Well, any other PM since 1974 or 2007, depending on how you view the Office of the Conflicts of Interest and Ethics Commissioner

#3869 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,511 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 08:25 AM

It’s interesting how the Post describes the verdict as a breach of conflict of interest law, while the CBC refers to it as a violation of the ethics code in their respective headlines.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3870 Benezet

Benezet
  • 1,219 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 09:51 AM

It’s interesting how the Post describes the verdict as a breach of conflict of interest law, while the CBC refers to it as a violation of the ethics code in their respective headlines.

The report found the PM contravened Section 9 of the Act. Section 9 of the Act is a “rule”.

#3871 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,511 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:16 AM

Ethics watchdog says he was denied access to evidence in SNC-Lavalin affair

https://nationalpost...-lavalin-affair

OTTAWA — Canada’s ethics watchdog says he was hampered in his investigation of the SNC-Lavalin affair by a decision of senior government officials to withhold information relevant to the case.

In a scathing rebuke near the beginning of his 63-page report, released Wednesday morning, ethics commissioner Mario Dion detailed how he fought to access confidential information related to the affair, but was denied by the Privy Council Office — one of the offices involved in the scandal he was investigating.

“Decisions that affect my jurisdiction under the Act, by setting parameters on my ability to receive evidence, should be made transparently and democratically by Parliament, not by the very same public office holders who are subject to the regime I administer,” Dion wrote. “I am convinced that if our Office is to remain truly independent and fulfill its purpose, I must have unfettered access to all information that could be relevant to the exercise of my mandate.”

Know it all.

#3872 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 11:37 AM

https://nationalpost...obox=1565804130

Canada’s ethics watchdog says he was hampered in his investigation of the SNC-Lavalin affair by a decision of senior government officials to withhold information relevant to the case.

In a scathing rebuke near the beginning of his 63-page report, released Wednesday morning, ethics commissioner Mario Dion detailed how he fought to access confidential information related to the affair, but was denied by the Privy Council Office — one of the offices involved in the scandal he was investigating.

nothing to see here, its all a misunderstanding.... 

Imagine the uproar from the progressive left if this was Harper? But they are willing to give him a hall pass ....again. Any Minister with any integrity would resign for less than this. 

• Wayne likes this

#3873 Mattjvd

Mattjvd
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:15 PM

https://nationalpost...obox=1565804130

nothing to see here, its all a misunderstanding....

Imagine the uproar from the progressive left if this was Harper? But they are willing to give him a hall pass ....again. Any Minister with any integrity would resign for less than this.

Greens have jumped from a 3.5% popular vote result in 2015 to polling in the 10 to 12% of popular vote range this summer. Looks like some are jumping ship.

NDP has fallen about ~2% so some of that difference is there, but about 5% to 7% of popular vote shift from Liberal to Green is significant
  • rjag likes this

#3874 rjag

rjag
  • 6,363 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:45 PM

Greens have jumped from a 3.5% popular vote result in 2015 to polling in the 10 to 12% of popular vote range this summer. Looks like some are jumping ship.

NDP has fallen about ~2% so some of that difference is there, but about 5% to 7% of popular vote shift from Liberal to Green is significant

Yup I think you're correct that the Green increase isnt from the NDP voteas much as it is the Liberal one. My fear is a Liberal minority as PR would be back on the table big time. I'd rather have a Liberal majority than go through that nonsense federally

#3875 Jackerbie

Jackerbie
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationRichmond, BC

Posted 14 August 2019 - 01:45 PM

Note that the Greens polled between 2-8% during the 2015 campaign period, and between 2-10% before the campaign period started

#3876 AllseeingEye

AllseeingEye

AllSeeingEye

• 6,596 posts

Posted 14 August 2019 - 10:00 PM

Meh..watching the CBC panel tonight and they pretty much nailed it, especially Chantal Hebert who IMO is the most accomplished political commentator in this country today by a long shot (Andrew Coyne is my choice for No. 2): in so many words they and she especially pretty much called it as it is, i.e. we are saddled with federal party leaders who collectively proved today yet again what a bunch of dreck they truly are....

"Junior" for obvious reasons, as spelled out in today's report by the Ethics Commissioner, but also Andrew Scheer - who did nothing but dredge up the usual tedious and tired conservative schlock in response: he provided absolutely nothing concrete of any substance whatsoever in terms of his response which was tepid and scripted - Good God almighty he is just bloody awful; Scheer sounds and acts no more like a National Leader than my overweight tabby cat, who spends most days sound asleep. Probably because Scheer can dance only to whatever tune Jason Kenney happens to be playing at that moment. Kenney is the real force behind conservatism in Canada, Scheer and Doug Ford are nothing more than the low grade comic relief act....

And Singh - what can one say about poor Jagmeet? He has clearly conceded the NDP is going to be folded, stapled, gutted and utterly eviscerated in Quebec with that trite crack about SNC Lavalin and (its) "rich supporters......friends of Justin Trudeau's". If you know anything about Quebec and SNC Lavalin nothing could be further from the truth. There are plenty of SNC Lavalin workers and supporters alike who are neither rich nor do they brook any favor whatsoever with the likes of Justin Trudeau.

Canuckians can laugh and point a knowing finger at and shake our heads all we want about the Trumpian Circus down south, but truly if Washington is a Gong Show then Ottawa and the sad sack crop of people currently posing as our so-called "leaders", represents a great big sloppy wet bowl of soggy tasteless oatmeal. Insipid and utterly uninspiring. And for the first time ever I am seriously considering spoiling my ballot in October.

None of these clowns (and you'll notice I didn't even bother mentioning the leader of the Greens at all - with aspirations of what federally...2 whole seats...maybe 3?!). Compared to this bleak deadbeat lot the Joe Clark's and Ed Broadbent's of the world look like veritable Supermen....

Edited by AllseeingEye, 14 August 2019 - 10:44 PM.

• rjag likes this

#3877 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,939 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 02:55 AM

I agree ase. I won’t spoil my ballot but there is nothing inspiring to vote for this election.

#3878 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,511 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:06 AM

JWR has released a statement:

I welcome the Conflict of Interest and Ethics Commissioner’s Trudeau II Report issued today.

I am grateful for Commissioner Mario Dion’s thorough report. It represents a vindication of the independent role of the attorney general and of the director of public prosecutions in criminal prosecutions — and reinforces for Canadians how essential it is to our democracy to uphold the rule of law and prosecutorial independence. The report confirms critical facts, consistent with what I shared with all Canadians, and affirms the position I have taken from the outset. The commissioner was not distracted by inaccurate information about the events or about me personally — and drew conclusions based on the true facts of what occurred.

I also have feelings of sadness. In a country as great as Canada, essential values and principles that are the foundation for our freedoms and system of government should be actively upheld by all, especially those in positions of public trust. We should not struggle to do this; and we should not struggle to acknowledge when we have acted in ways that do not meet these standards. I am also concerned by the government’s decision to deny even its ethics commissioner requested access to cabinet confidences, as there were apparently contraints on a number of witnesses from telling the whole story. The commissioner is correct in saying that decisions affecting his work should be made ‘transparently and democratically, not by the very same public officer holders who are subject to the regime he administers.’

The report reminds us that we must all remain vigilant. Personally, I remain committed to doing politics differently and engaging in important discussions in a way that honours what is best about Canada, to work across party lines and to continue to do the best job I can as the independent member of Parliament for Vancouver-Granville. There remains more work to be done.

The commissioiner’s important findings of fact include:

• There were multiple attempts to improperly influence my decision as attorney general whether to intervene in a criminal prosecution. These attempts persisted despite my ‘direct advice’ to the prime minister. That warning ‘was discounted and ignored.’ The commissioner found all those tactics ‘troubling,’ and these supported his conclusion that the prime minister had violated the Conflict of Interest Act. The commissioner stated that ‘(T)he authority of the prime minister and his office was used to circumvent, undermine and ultimately attempt to discredit the decision of the DPP as well as (my) authority as chief law enforcement officer.’

• Senior staff in the Prime Minister’s Office ‘pressed (me) on the idea of seeking external advice on the matter — all the while knowing the advice that would be given and selectively withholding other material information from (me),’ and this constituted a third attempt to ‘bend the will of the attorney general.’

• The most ‘flagrant’ attempt to influence me occurred during my conversation with the clerk of the Privy Council. The commissioner reflected that it was difficult to imagine that the clerk acted without full and clear appreciation of the prime minister’s position on the matter. The repeated interventions to have me ‘find a solution’ were ‘tantamount to political direction.’

• It was improper to raise partisan political interests with me, in the context of my role in evaluating this prosecutorial decision. This was done on at least four separate occasions.

• It was ‘clearly improper’ for one branch of government to be communicating with applicants to a judicial review challenging a decision made by another branch of government, without the knowledge or involvement of the attorney general or her representative.

• Contrary to a narrative that has been advanced by others, there was no evidence that I failed to consider ‘the public interest’ in making my decision not to intervene. Indeed, the commissioner confirms the steps I took, including consultations with several former attorneys general, to obtain guidance and advice.”

Know it all.

#3879 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,511 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 06:10 AM

Social media is abuzz with “this is just a plan by the neocons to overthrow Trudeau.”

Harper created the ethics office knowing that the Liberals would fall into its traps. What he didn’t know was how often it would happen.
  • Wayne likes this

Know it all.

#3880 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,939 posts

Posted 15 August 2019 - 02:28 PM

Mother-of-three Riga Godron has been forced to move 28 times after moving back to Victoria 22 years ago.

Godron said she has been evicted so landlords could renovate. Her rent has been increased beyond her means. She has been forced out of subsidized housing because her partner got a job and the paycheque meant they no long qualified for assistance.

“It’s hard to maintain housing here with the high cost and the scarcity,” said the 41-year-old army veteran living on a disability pension. “But there’s also a lot of serious instability here.”

riga godron is an unstable mentally ill person.  we should be a thankful that we have a system to take care of her.

we should not be thankful the tc ran an article like this and did not challenge her to explain the renovictions.  it's nearly a statistical impossibility that renovations were the source of her 28 moves.

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 15 August 2019 - 02:30 PM.

• rjag and AllseeingEye like this

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users