Photo

2019 Canadian Federal Election - general discussion

• Please log in to reply
5846 replies to this topic

#3941 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 04:12 PM

Elizabeth May's mother Stephanie was a worker on the McGovern campaign which automatically got her put on one of Nixon's secret "Enemies List". 

#3942 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

Old White Man On A Canadian Island

• 52,867 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 07:04 PM

#MelaniaLovesJustin is trending on twitter.

#3943 dasmo

dasmo

Grand Master ✔

• 15,487 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 10:12 AM

#MelaniaLovesJustin is trending on twitter.

Yep. He is in place to seduce us all that is for sure.... 

#3944 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 05:40 AM

According to Global News, which has been tracking federal spending, the federal Liberals made 330 spending announcements totalling $2.85 billion across the country between Aug. 19 and Aug. 25. The week before that, there were 595 spending commitments announced worth a total of $4.9 billion.

In comparison, Global News noted Stephen Harper’s Conservative government made 604 spending announcements worth $1.4 billion in the full month before the 2015 federal election.

https://www.timescol...land-1.23929153

#3945 punk cannonballer

punk cannonballer
  • 239 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 07:45 AM

I'm not a fan of Trudeau's oft-clumsy PR stunts or his bollocks of the SNC stuff, but goddamn we have little choice here. Scheer is just going to waste money undoing every Trudeau initiative in a personal vendetta, prop a dying oil industry, ignore climate change, and be a Trump lap-dog for as long as he can. Singh and the NDP are irrelevant at this point. A vote for the Greens will just split the left.

Liberal vote is the only option for me, as someone concerned about climate change and moving this country forward in a positive manner.

• Rob Randall and vortoozo like this

#3946 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 07:50 AM

One could argue that corruption, ethics violations, an erosion of status on the world stage and extreme debt is not a way to move a country forward.

And remember when Harper muzzled scientists? Well, they’re still muzzled.

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3947 punk cannonballer

punk cannonballer
  • 239 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 08:00 AM

You say this like the Conservatives would be better. We've heard more about it in this government, ironically, because I think Trudeau at least attempts to be less opaque than the likes of Harper. I'm of the opinion that these things happen under all governments, so it's not a consideration. I'm left to consider that Trudeau's values align most closely with mine.

One could argue that corruption, ethics violations, an erosion of status on the world stage and extreme debt is not a way to move a country forward.

And remember when Harper muzzled scientists? Well, they’re still muzzled.

#3948 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 08:03 AM

I'm not a fan of Trudeau's oft-clumsy PR stunts or his bollocks of the SNC stuff, but goddamn we have little choice here. Scheer is just going to waste money undoing every Trudeau initiative in a personal vendetta, prop a dying oil industry, ignore climate change, and be a Trump lap-dog for as long as he can. Singh and the NDP are irrelevant at this point. A vote for the Greens will just split the left.

Liberal vote is the only option for me, as someone concerned about climate change and moving this country forward in a positive manner.

on climate change why would you want to move out of lockstep with the us when our economies are intertwined?

how do you mean the oil industry is dying? the world uses more oil today than ever.

as for being a trump lapdog sometimes the parasite has to be good to the host. we rely on the us for almost all our export economy and most of our prosperity.

what initiatives do you fear scheer cancelling?

Edited by Victoria Watcher, 28 August 2019 - 08:08 AM.

#3949 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 08:19 AM

You say this like the Conservatives would be better. We've heard more about it in this government, ironically, because I think Trudeau at least attempts to be less opaque than the likes of Harper. I'm of the opinion that these things happen under all governments, so it's not a consideration. I'm left to consider that Trudeau's values align most closely with mine.

It’s the media’s role to bring situations to light, and if during Harper’s era the issues were less opaque than they are under Trudeau that should tell you something about the gravity of the missteps and the scandals.

If we remove our partisan glasses for a moment, the Trudeau era has been disruptive to this country, with one controversy after another plaguing the PM.
  • Wayne likes this

Know it all.
Citified.ca is Victoria's most comprehensive research resource for new-build homes and commercial spaces.

#3950 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 10:05 AM

I certainly hope that Scheer doesn't form a government.  He continues to boycott pride events across the country and I just feel that he would not be an ally of the LGBT community.

#3951 Victoria Watcher

Victoria Watcher

• 52,867 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 10:08 AM

he does not boycott them. he just doesn’t go to them. neither do i. i’m not gay. he’s both not gay and he’s quite religious. makes sense. if you can’t be true to yourself and your faith don’t go to events just for political optics.

#3952 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 10:18 AM

he does not boycott them. he just doesn’t go to them. neither do i. i’m not gay. he’s both not gay and he’s quite religious. makes sense. if you can’t be true to yourself and your faith don’t go to events just for political optics.

Most politicians who go to Pride Parades aren't gay.  Scheer isn't Sikh or Hindu, but he participates in Vaisakhi events (along with the other federal leaders), showing that one not need to be a member of a minority community to participate in their events and show support for the group.  

Scheer definitely seems to be sending the message that he has no interest in trying to win the votes of LGBT people.

#3953 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 10:30 AM

I certainly hope that Scheer doesn't form a government. He continues to boycott pride events across the country and I just feel that he would not be an ally of the LGBT community.

Ask not what you can do for your country, ask what your country can do for you and your hyper specific special interest group based entirely on sexual preferences

#3954 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 10:46 AM

Ask not what you can do for your country, ask what your country can do for you and your hyper specific special interest group based entirely on sexual preferences

There's more progress to be made on LGBT issues; for example, the LGBT community is victimized by hate crimes/bias-motivated bias, and I think that the party leaders should address this and other issues of concern.  

Scheer could, at the very least, apologize for his past opposition to LGBT equality, begin attending Pride events, and work to see that LGBT issues are addressed in his party's platform. The same applies to Bernier, but I haven't addressed him previously as I don't see his party as having a chance at forming government.

#3955 Rob Randall

Rob Randall
  • 16,310 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 10:48 AM

I certainly hope that Scheer doesn't form a government.  He continues to boycott pride events across the country and I just feel that he would not be an ally of the LGBT community.

Seems that the real homophobes have peeled off and joined the PPC, leaving the Conservatives looking very much like they did in the 1980s--a slightly right of centre party.

It's like that whole Preston Manning-Reform-Alliance era never happened.

#3956 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 10:57 AM

The PPC is a welcome change in the political landscape for that very reason. It will help flesh out the fringe.

Know it all.

#3957 Kapten Kapsell

Kapten Kapsell
  • 3,539 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 11:57 AM

Seems that the real homophobes have peeled off and joined the PPC, leaving the Conservatives looking very much like they did in the 1980s--a slightly right of centre party.

It's like that whole Preston Manning-Reform-Alliance era never happened.

I consider the BC Liberals to be a centre-right party (this also seems to be how political scientists classify them), but the federal Tories do seem to be running 'to the right' of the BC Liberals, despite the fact that there is some overlap.  The BC Liberals *do* participate in pride/LGBT events, but on other issues the federal party (under Scheer) seems to be running to the right; after all, the BC Liberals were the first major party in the country to bring in a carbon tax, and we all know how Scheer feels about the federal carbon tax.

#3958 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 12:43 PM

For consideration:

As Conservative Leader Andrew Scheer continues to battle claims that he is intolerant of the LGBTQ2 community, an openly gay candidate for his party said today he is convinced Scheer's thinking has evolved over time.

"We're ready to go for the election and I wouldn't be running if I had any inkling, whatsoever, that I wasn't welcomed or my sexual orientation wasn't welcome in the Conservative Party," said Eric Duncan, Conservative candidate for Stormont, Dundas and South Glengarry.

- snip -

Trying to paint Scheer into a corner over same-sex marriage, said Duncan, is little more than a "desperation tactic" on the part of the Liberals.

"It's rehashing old topics from 15 years ago, and until that tweet last week I don't think it was on the radar of Canadians," he said. "It wasn't on the radar of voters and I still don't believe that it is."

Duncan said that he has been openly gay for two years now and has never attended a Pride parade. "People have different ways of expressing their support for the community," he said, adding that he believes Scheer's position on the issue has evolved.

https://www.cbc.ca/n...gbtq2-1.5262053

Know it all.

#3959 RFS

RFS
  • 5,444 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 12:53 PM

Imagine being so detached from reality and self centred that you think this is a legitimate election issue.

Meanwhile the Chinese, Russians, etc focus on real life. Face palm doesn’t begin to describe it
  • rjag likes this

#3960 Mike K.

Mike K.
  • Administrator
  • 83,482 posts

Posted 28 August 2019 - 01:10 PM

It is understandable that any group of individuals who have been historically persecuted/marginalized to want to see support from the leader of a political party for which they may vote, and for many members of the LGBTQ community attendance of parades is one way to convey that support.

But in recent years the parades themselves have become politicized and this has created a rift even among the LGBTQ community.

Know it all.

You're not quite at the end of this discussion topic!

Use the page links at the lower-left to go to the next page to read additional posts.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users